What's your go to snack?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• 2kellen2 wrote:

Fadi where are you?? can you please call in with the recipe for the yoghurt you have mentioned you have me interested to try it :)

Hi Kell,

Here I am....and here's the ingredients, tools, and method you need.
      [Blocked Image: http://www.luvelo.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/untitled-1.png]

I do have an Easy- Yo, but it won't give you the results I'm referring to here, i.e. a 24 hours yogurt that is devoid of lactose and has an unbelievably dense number of good bacteria coming from my two favourites, namely: Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. Notice the name "thermo"? These two goodies favour heat, a temperature around the high 40s and up to 50 degrees Celsius.

With the Luvelo, I set it on 47 degrees for a whole 24 hours period. I was brought up on plenty of the Bulgaricus bacteria, which as the name suggests, it was discovered in Bulgaria by a Bulgarian doctor back in the day.

Number of good bacteriain the 24 hours yogurt: a concentration of 3 billion cfu/ml.

That is to say that a 250g cup of this mighty yogurt would have a total of 750 billion live, well, and kicking bacteria. Now compare that to your store bought probiotics, with its dormant (maybe alive may be not) bacteria of about 15 billion per capsule.

[Blocked Image: http://dygy7akez1rfq.cloudfront.net/products_pictures/796/79633_365229_F.jpg]

1. In a saucepan, add 1L of milk (minus about 150ml) and turn on low heat. I use long life, (don't believe people who insist on fresh blah blah blah and how dead the UHT milk is OK). Put that 150ml in a cup and add a tablespoon of natural yogurt to it. Mix well and leave aside.
      [Blocked Image: http://shop.coles.com.au/wcsstore/Coles-CAS/images/1/8/7/1870573.jpg]
      The above yogurt has those two heat loving bacteria I mentioned above.

2. When the temp reaches between say, 44 and 47, turn off the heat.
      3. I use the laser thermometer pictured above for two reasons, more hygienic, and more accurate than my pinky finger.
      4. Add back to the saucepan those well mixed milk/yogurt from the cup and stir for about 5 seconds before transferring to that glass container that comes with your Luvelo "incubator".
      5. Do not add any form of milk powder to the above for extra creaminess etc. Our aim is to have our two bacteria cultures feed upon all the lactose that is present in the milk, giving them more would defeat the purpose big time! Sure, for more fat and creaminess, you may add about 100gm of pure cream to the milk when you're heating it. It just makes the end result more creamy with more fat ratio than otherwise would have been the case.
      6. When the Luvelo alarm sounds after the 24 hour period, place the freshly made yogurt in your fridge for about 8 hours to really thicken up.
      7. Never simply place a spoon in your fresh yogurt (after the 8 hours in the fridge) and leave it at that. You have to stir the whole thing or you will end up with a separation of whey, in the form of that yellowish looking liquid,...the stuff WPI & WPC are made of! Whey protein (if you didn't know) protects us from the ill effect of casein with its high igf-1 stimulation (which feeds cancer cells). Whey is good; casein powder on the other hand would never be seen on my radar at any time.

Enjoy!

• I'm going to make a bacon-cheeseburger quiche later today. A small slice of that makes an excellent snack.

This is my 3rd day back on low carb. My appetite has almost disappeared. For brunch today I had some pink canned salmon (half a very cheap large can from Aldi) with some mayo and coarsely ground black pepper, mixed together well with a fork. I put a dollop of that into small pieces of iceberg lettuce and had it together with some black unsweetened tea. Makes an easy snack or a meal.

I also snack on marinated olives.
    • ChrisA, black olives do have more carbs than green. But with 3 grams of net carbs in 100 grams of black olives, and considering that a snack of marinated olives would be less than half that amount, it isn't a big concern. I have a jar of green olives stuffed with anchovies that I will open soon. I normally try to buy mixed olives.

//edit: I just checked my green olives. 0.5g of carb per 100g. Net carbs would be negligible. Wow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Big bill ().