Chicken soup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chicken soup

I got tired of trying to find a very-low-carb chicken soup recipe that sounded good. So I had a go at making up my own.

I had a bunch of celery and a quarter head of cabbage. I chopped up 2 sticks of celery plus the leaves. The leaves are the important part. Then I cut up the cabbage. I chopped 3 shallots and bruised 4 cloves of garlic, fried those for a few minutes in a largish saucepan, then added a litre of store-bought real stock, a litre of water, the cabbage and the celery and 6 chicken drumsticks. I went into the backyard to get some fresh herbs but a huge spider had spun a web over the herb garden so all I managed to pick was a few sprigs of thyme and 2 super-hot red chillies. I halved the chillies and added those plus the thyme plus some pepper.

An hour and a half of simmering later and it tasted excellent. Next time I'll use 1 chilli though.