Do you watch your calories when following a low-carb diet?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Do you watch your calories when following a low-carb diet?

I find that I don't need to watch my calories when following a low-carb diet.

The weight seems to fall off anyway. If I keep the calories fairly high then I find that I can deal with plateaus a lot more easily, just by choosing lower calorie foods and smaller portions for a few days then back to eating whatever I feel like (as long as it is very low in carbs).

My appetite is much lower anyway when I'm doing low-carb, and I can go for much longer without feeling hungry at all. Sometimes I feel a little light-headed then think something like "oh, I haven't eaten for 10 hours, that might be the problem!". A lot of the time I don't get hungry as such.

Do you watch your calories all the time on a low-carb diet, even if just instinctively?
    • I have been doing Atkins for almost 4 weeks now, and post everything I eat on the My Fitness Pal app. I usually top out at around 1100-1300 calories on an average day. Since I've been eating low carbs, I also find that I'm not as hungry. My weight loss has not been that great. I've only lost 4-5 lbs in a months time. I'm trying not to get discouraged.
    • mleew777 wrote:

I have been doing Atkins for almost 4 weeks now, and post everything I eat on the My Fitness Pal app. I usually top out at around 1100-1300 calories on an average day. Since I've been eating low carbs, I also find that I'm not as hungry. My weight loss has not been that great. I've only lost 4-5 lbs in a months time. I'm trying not to get discouraged.
      Yesterday I had one burger patty (made from maybe 100g of beef) with some tasty cheese melted on top, a large bowl of chicken soup (which was mostly cabbage and celery, with one chicken drumstick and some fresh herbs). And 40g of very dark chocolate. All up definitely less than 1,000 calories. The chicken soup was very filling and I was planning to eat more, but I went for a long walk last night and afterwards I simply didn't feel like eating anything and I felt fine, so I just went to bed.

I know that I need to eat a lot more than that. Today I plan to roast a chicken and also make some low-carb pumpkin soup.

It is a great feeling not being a "slave" to cravings, not constantly thinking about what is in the fridge and what is in the cupboard. And not constantly finding excuses to go to KFC or McDonalds, or to a supermarket to buy treats for the family (and eating most of it myself :evil: ). I stop to buy petrol now and I'm not even tempted to buy a couple of chocolate bars and a bag of twisties and a coke.

Don't get discouraged. Do try to eat a little more and I hope that those scales start to shift for you this month.
    • I am truly discouraged and it's getting more difficult to fight that feeling! I have been on the Atkins plan for almost 2 months, and haven't even lost 5 pounds yet. The scales haven't moved in a month! I stay under 20 carbs a day, watch everything I eat, eat plenty, exercise, and it doesn't seem to matter. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I start my day with coffee, cream, eggs, and sometimes bacon. For lunch I have a mixed salad with protein and 2 tbsp dressing, then for dinner I have vegetables & protein. For snack, I eat an Atkins bar. That's it! Am I doing something wrong? I'm frustrated! I went to a party yesterday and watched everybody eat pizza and cake. I ate beef sausage and cabbage before I went, and drank water while I was there. I use the ketone sticks, and am not in ketosis first thing in the morning. Please advise! I don't know what more I can do!
    • Are you eating fat with your protein at lunch and dinner?

Keto sticks will only measure excess ketones so if you're using all of your ketones up they won't show on the sticks.

Caffeine can interfere with ketosis for some, so can that time of the month.

Make sure you're eating enough, do you have much to lose?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Hi Sherrie,
      As you could probably tell, I was down this morning, and my scale was up! I do eat fat such as cheese with my meals. The only thing I could do different is to omit the one cup of regular coffee I have every morning. I had 20 pounds to lose, but after 7.5 weeks ( :>{ ), it's now 16. I've only dropped 4 pounds, and that was probably water weight! I just don't get it! I should have lost at least 7-8 pounds by now! I haven't dropped anything in the last 4-5 weeks. What should I do? I don't want to give up! I'm in it to win it (or, in this case, lose it)! I feel too vested to turn back now!
    • In a previous post you said you record everything and that you're eating between 1100 and 1300 calories.

Can you give us say your last weeks worth of menus? What is your current weight and height?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Thanks Sherrie!
      I record everything on the app "My fitness pal," and I'm not sure how to send you a weeks worth. My height is 5'3", and weight is 145.6 Lbs. I was 150.0 when I started back in March . I can give you a couple of typical days. I eat eggs every morning. Sometimes with bacon, sometimes not.
      *Monday- brkfst-2 cups coffee (1 reg., 1 decaf), 2 tbsp heavy cream, 2 packets sweet n low, 2 eggs fried, 2 slices bacon.
      *Lunch- 1 1/2 cups of salad (a few cherry tomatoes, olives, celery, peppers, cucumbers, onion, & romaine), 2 tbsp dressing (2g carb), 3-4oz. of chicken or tuna, 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 20 oz.water (sometimes with sugar free flavoring)
      *Snack- Atkins choc coconut bar or pork rinds (sometimes both)
      *Dinner- 1 cup green beans, 3-4 oz. of lean meat.
      *Tuesday- same breakfast, same lunch ( I make a huge toss salad and it lasts me for 5 days)
      *Dinner- venison summer sausage, 2 cheese slices on top, salad, and dressing.
      *Snack- Atkins bar, pork rinds.
      I walk about 1 1/2 miles every day very briskly.
      *Today I had eggs, coffee, bacon. Then for lunch I made oopsie rolls and had a BLT sandwich with mayo. For dinner I had a lean hamburger patty with 1 slice cheese, and 1 cup steamed cabbage. Atkins coconut bar for desert.
      This is my typical pattern. I started eating the atkins bars only in the last 2 weeks. Is there something I'm doing incorrectly? Thank you so much for your support! I was upset this morning. I've been sticking to this faithfully and don't understand why the weight won't come off! I'm in good health, and my thyroid is fine.
    • It's possible your calories are too low. If I was to give up anything the first things for me to go would be the Atkins bar and rinds and then I would replace them with things I make myself.

Is your dressing an oil based dressing?

I wouldn't worry about cup rules and just pick from lots of low carb veg.

I am guessing 3-4 oz is around 90-120g of meat.

• Sometimes people do better once they up their carbs!

I stayed on 20 when I first did Atkins, I found some weeks I would lose 1 kg which is about 2 pounds and other weeks I lost nothing, I could go for 2-3 weeks with no loss then lose a kg and so on. I always had deep purple sticks except I would register none during TOM. Deep purple never guaranteed weight loss for me and to lose my last maybe 4 or so kilograms I used weekly refeeds where one day a week I just ate carbs. My last kg was lost in the first week when I gave up and decided to go on maintenance and upped my carbs a bit :)

I'm not a big dressing eater but I usually just combine extra virgin olive oil with either lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

Sometimes our bodies just fight us and the trick is to keep them guessing.

Resistance exercises like weights are great for our metabolism and fat burning.