Low Carb Chicken, Ginger and Noodle Soup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Chicken, Ginger and Noodle Soup

I put this chicken noodle soup together the other day using the roast chicken carcass and pan juices from the night before to make a stock which I simmered all day. I planned to add lemon grass but I forgot to buy some but the chicken was roasted with plenty of lemons which were still in the cavity when I made the stock. You can also add chilli and fish sauce if you wish and even some spices up to you. I tried not to add too many variables hoping my daughter wouldn't have any issues with it. For noodles, I added spaghetti squash but you could add julienne zucchini, or other low carb noodles if you wish or even instead of dicing the carrots save them for noodles :)

I poached 3 large chicken breasts but saved one to use for patties the next day, the chicken meat absorbed all the flavours and was yummy. Its up to you how much stock you use, I used about 5 cups as I was trying to cover the chicken breasts.

Low Carb Chicken, Ginger and Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash baked (or your choice of noodles)
      2-3 chicken breasts
      4-5 cups of chicken stock
      2 carrots, diced
      2 stalks of celery, diced
      leek, diced
      1 tablespoon or so of chopped fresh ginger
      1-2 tablespoons of tamari (to taste)
      1-3 cloves of garlic, crushed (I had heaps of garlic in my stock so only added one clove)
      Fresh coriander
      Freshly ground pepper and salt if needed.
      1 can of coconut cream
      Fresh snow peas

Optional:
      Lemongrass
      Fresh chilli
      Spices
      Fish sauce

Method:

Add chicken breast to large saucepan and cover with chicken stock. Add ginger and garlic and bring to boil.

Once boiling turn down and simmer with loose lid for 20 mins give or take (depends on size and amount of chicken) until chicken is cooked through (165 degs in thickest part), remove chicken and set aside.

At this point if you feel you have too much liquid you can cook it down longer without the lid to condense the flavour.

Gently pan fry, carrot, celery and leek and until softened in the meantime shred the chicken.

Once softened add to stock, then add tamari, coconut cream, and if using unprepared noodles add them in now to cook and simmer for a few minutes, then add chicken, spaghetti squash and the snow peas and warm through.

Check seasoning and then serve into bowls and top with fresh coriander leaves.

Tastes better the next day :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.