Running on Fat – The Mt. Buller Sky Run

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Running on Fat – The Mt. Buller Sky Run

I came across this in my newsfeed on facebook by Shae from You Are What you Eat and immediately I thought of two particular very keen runners that we have on the forums and thought I'd share the link. Basically, this is an article about a persons experience running ultra marathons on a Low Carb High Fat diet eating between 25 to 30g of carbs :)

I know @taddy isn't a low carber but I thought you might be interested and I knew @ChrisA would definitely be interested as he lists what he eats before as well as what he takes with him to keep him going :)

I was also just told about an event in Adelaide on Running on Fat so I will add that here to and check to see if there's any in other states also.

Here's a little intro:

David Grech wrote:

Running on Fat – The Mt Buller Sky Run – Part 2

The Mt. Buller Sky Run – 50km of running and walking, 2600m metres of ascending and descending in less than 8 hours and only 25 to 30gms of carbohydrates consumed throughout the adventure.

In Part One I talked about the highs and lows of my first ultra marathon, my rookie mistakes getting lost and running the course. Part Two is about Running on Fat, how I felt it worked, my recovery and what’s next.

People ask me all the time why have I chosen Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) as my way of eating/fueling my body.

My reasons are fairly simple. Genetically the numbers are against me, no matter how much I run I cannot run from my family history. Three years ago I quit all processed sugars and reduced my processed carbohydrate intake considerably.

Read the rest by following the link at the top of the quote by clicking on the author.

Now the event in Adelaide for those interested:

Low Carb Down Under wrote:

‘Cereal Killers 2 – Run on Fat’ Screening

Adelaide, SA
      Thursday, June 18, 2015

‘Cereal Killers 2 – Run on Fat’ follows world class triathlete Sami Inkinen’s transition from pre-diabetic sugar burner to a faster, healthier, fat fueled endurance athlete under the guidance of New York Times bestselling author Dr Stephen Phinney.

The screening will take place on the 18th of June 2015 at 7:00pm at Palace Nove Cinema in Adelaide. The run-time for the film is 64 minutes and will be followed by a Q&A session with Darren Burgess, High Performance Manager at Port Adelaide AFL Club.

Ok they do have 2 more events, one in Melbourne and one in Sydney but they aren't specifically on running but rather on the Low Carb, High Fat diet itself. Here's the details for Melbourne:

Low Carb Down Under – Melbourne
      St. Kilda Town Hall, VIC
      Sunday, June 7, 2015

A morning of presentations on the topic of low carbohydrate nutrition
      for optimising your weight and health.

Presentations:

“How We Can Change the Way We Eat” – Prof. Grant Schofield (20 minutes)

“The Art and Science of Low Carb Living” – Prof Jeff Volek (45 minutes)
      Break

“Nutrition for Optimising Athletic Performance” – Prof Jeff Volek (45 Minutes)

“Practical Points for Weight Loss and Sport” – Dr Caryn Zinn (20 minutes)
      Q & A Session (45 minutes)

Details for Sydney:

Low Carb Down Under – Sydney
      Sydney University, NSW
      Wednesday, June 10, 2015

An evening of presentations on the topic of low carbohydrate nutrition
      for optimising your weight and health.

Presentations:

“How We Can Change the Way We Eat” – Prof. Grant Schofield (20 minutes)

“The Art and Science of Low Carb Living” – Prof Jeff Volek (45 minutes)
      Break

“Nutrition for Optimising Athletic Performance” – Prof Jeff Volek (45 Minutes)

“Practical Points for Weight Loss and Sport” – Dr Caryn Zinn (20 minutes)
      Q & A Session (45 minutes)

Follow the link to details for tickets etc by clicking on Low Carb Down Under at start of quote.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.