The War on Big Food

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• The War on Big Food

An interesting article it is quite long but I like the direction that it is going in a way so long as they don't just find ways to mask or hide things. It was this quote that made me think maybe some good can come out of it but I'd still rather avoid Big Food personally:

Beth Kowitt, Special Report: The war on big food wrote:

Hershey’s first formidable task was to convince suppliers that this wasn’t some one-off experiment. “We made ourselves kind of a pain,” says Terry O’Day, Hershey senior vice president and chief supply-chain officer. “Suppliers would tell us how difficult it was, what the incremental cost would be.
      They’re testing you to see if you flinch when they tell you the price.” When it came to finding GMO-free corn sweetener, so little was available in the U.S. that one vendor had to restructure its operations to create the ingredient for Hershey.
      When the company broached the idea of using milk from cows that hadn’t been treated with rBST, some families that had been supplying milk to the company for 100 years questioned the logic.
      “We were asking them to really change the way they did business,” says O’Day. “There’s a lot of emotion that comes out.”
      For now, Hershey is absorbing the added costs for the ingredient changes while it looks for savings elsewhere. “We want to prove we can change the supply chain,” Bilbrey says.

Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.