Low Carb Zapple and Rhubarb Crumble

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Zapple and Rhubarb Crumble

After a recent conversation on breakfast ideas during winter I decided to make a crumble as its been years since I have made a low carb crumble. I used to make rhubarb crumble but this time I thought I would have a play at using zucchini for an apple substitute, you could use choko also. With rhubarb being out of season I used frozen rhubarb, if you use fresh rhubarb you may wish to add some extra water when cooking it down if you prefer it soft like me or perhaps try adding it to the zucchini near the start. my rhubarb was pretty icy when i took it out of the freezer, so I had plenty of built in water :)

You don't have to use rhubarb you can use berries instead or just make a zapple crumble which I plan to try soon as the zucchini on its own will give me a good idea on how good a substitute zucchini really is. You could replace the lemon juice with orange juice.You can also increase the zucchini to rhubarb ratio, I only had 3 zucchini so this was the ratio I went for.

I used pecans in the crumble as I was in a rush but next time I will use hazelnuts, if you use hazelnuts just remember to put them in the oven for a bit and rub their skins off. You can also chop up some 85% dark and sprinkle over your crumble if you wish. Otherwise just replace with a half a cup of your favourite nuts and you could also replace the shaved almonds with shredded coconut if you wish.

For paleo you can replace the butter with coconut or macadamia oil and serve yours with a coconut or cashew cream or ice cream.

For mine I used double cream :)

I made 4 serves with this recipe but you may get more if your ramekins are smaller.

Low Carb Zapple and Rhubarb Crumble

Serves: 4

Ingredients

3 small zucchini, peeled and chopped. (350g/12oz)
      300g/10.5oz rhubarb stems, chopped
      Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 metric tablespoons)
      2 TBL sweetener of choice (non metric: 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons)
      1/2 tsp cinnamon
      1/2 tsp pure vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
      pinch of salt

Crumble Topping

1/2 cup almond meal (50g/1.8oz)
      1/2 cup shaved almonds (50g/1.8oz)
      1/2 cup of pecans chopped (65g/2.3oz)
      70g/2.5oz butter melted
      1/4tsp cinnamon
      1 TBL sweetener of choice (non metric: 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon)

Method

Preheat oven to 180C/355F

Add zucchini, lemon juice and salt to pan and cook over stove until liquid reduced and zuchini is crisp, do not cook until mushy.

Add rhubarb, sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon and water if needed and cook until its reduced and to the consistency you want. Taste for sweetness and add a little more if you need.

Spoon into ramekins.

Combine topping ingredients and spoon over the top and bake in oven until top is golden, about 20-30mins

Serve with cream, custard or ice cream (low carb of course).

Enjoy :)

PS: I will work out counts later as I made sure to weigh everything :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Like crumble, wouldn't know there was zucchini in there, it was really yum :) The zucchini without any rhubarb or fruit will be the real test but I think it will be fine :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• I made a Zapple version on the weekend, it was good but I don't think it would be exactly the same as actual apple. Its been a long time since I've eaten cooked apple but I'm pretty sure. I think having rhubarb or berries with it gives it the depth it's missing.

• I dropped my last crumble :eek: so once I got over that i decided to cook up the remaining rhubarb and have it with some double cream. This time I added sweetener, cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice to it and it was lovely so next time I make this crumble I am going to replace the vanilla with the ginger. I might even bake a biscuit then make a biscuit crumb for the topping :)

• Oh forgot to answer I made 4 ramekins with the first recipe, they're not small ramekins so if your ramekins are small you may get more.