This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Hello, this is my first day here. I am really happy to have found this site and some like-minded fellow dieters. I started LCHF about two weeks ago and am really struggling to keep below 20 grams of carbs. I mostly have about 50. Consequently I have gained 1 kilo and am really fed up. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. :)
    • Welcome Shine4me! :)

Is there a reason why you're struggling?

Low carb can be pretty overwhelming at first because all of a sudden we cannot eat the things we grew up to rely on such as breads and cereals but you do get past this so keep at it, it will get easier.

If you have thrown yourself out of ketosis it won't be much as 50g is still low, exercise will burn up your glycogen quicker and put you back in ketosis. Weights is a great exercise to do to burn it up.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Thank you Sherrie.

I think the reason that I have been struggling to loose weight is because my carbs were too high. And also too many calories. I am now tracking carbs, fat grams, protein grams and also calories and managing to keep the carbs to around 25-30. I have managed to loose the kilo I gained, but realized that I am still overdoing calories. I do eat large portions and LOVE fat, oil and cream which pile on the calories. So........am making a concerted effort to cut down.

Thanks again and great to be part of the community.
      Irma (shine4me)
    • Hi there I have been doing LCHF for about a month now, haven't been tracking my macros too well but i know I am under my carbs. Looking to meet like minded people and maybe some new recipes, and to share my experience. I lost 3kg initially but now nothing although I was given steroids for pain management the other week so I don't know if that caused me to stall or not. On the plus side no gains either!
    • Hi Sherrie. Not sure how to answer that except to give you a list of what I eat. I track my foods on a site called 'My fitness pal'

Breakfast yesterday
      2 eggs scrambled with 1 oz mature cheddar cheese, 3 rashers bacon, fried mushrooms
      Filter coffee with 1 tablespoon heavy cream, 1 teaspoon xylitol
      Mid morning
      Filter coffee with 2 tablespoons MCT oil, knob of butter and dash of cream, 1 teaspoon xylitol
      Lunch
      4 slices left over roast belly pork, few lettuce leaves
      Mid Afternoon (out)
      Filter coffee, 2 teaspoons non dairy creamer, sugar free sweetener (equal - I think)
      Got home and remembered we were going out to friends for dinner. I was worried because I did not want to eat too many carbs and was told that they would be serving a stew. So..... I ate
      Omelette made with, 2 eggs, 1 rashes of bacon, a few mushrooms and a little cheese. Maybe an ounce, I used lots (1.5 tablespoons) of coconut oil and butter so that I would feel full and not be tempted.
      Anyway was pleasantly surprised cos served roast chicken
      Supper
      Hip, thigh and wing of roast chicken, 1.5 cups mixed broccoli and cauliflower.
      2 whisky and soda water
      My own homemade dessert made with Avodado pear, cocoa powder, cream and xylitol. Approx 2 tablespoons
      1 cup tea with milk befor bed.
      Anyway after completing my diary I had had 2188 calories which was more than the 2017 calories which is the amount I'm trying to keep below. Carb grams 29, fat 176, protein 128
      I found it really difficult because the weather has turned really cold and I feel tempted to have comfort food. Eg stews, hot pud and custard etc.
      oh woe is me!!!
    • Are your tablespoons American or metric? I'm pretty sure even an American tablespoon would be around 120 calories or so of mct or coconut oil so you could easily knock some off that way when needed.

I think today though you effectively ate 2 dinners so you didn't go over much!

Do you lose on 2000 calories?

It's very cold here too and lots of rain at the moment.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Hi Sherrie,
      A tablespoon is about 20 ml. I think I am losing, but very slowly, which I suppose is a good thing, but I am getting pretty despondent. I googled and worked out what I should be having to loose weight. I put in my weight, age, height and it gave me BMI (32.6) and recommended the following ratios. Cals-2017, Carbs-25, Protein-126 and Fat-157. I have been on the LCHF for about 3 weeks, and originally gained 1 kilo, which I have now lost again, plus perhaps another 1(difficult to tell coz of fluctuations). I think I should bring Cals down to 1800, but so far do not have enough willpower!!!So am trying little by little to reduce quantities.
      Than you for you help and interest.
    • Hi Shine,

I'm no expert, but I would hazard a guess that at 2,000 calories a day your carbs would need to be extremely low for you to lose weight. That is around what I would average on low carb.

I would try bulking your diet up with low-carb vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli and cabbage and celery (the last 2 go well in soups) to fill you up and hopefully keep a lid on the hunger. That works for me.

I also find psyllium husk pancakes to be a very effective hunger buster, as well as being low in carbs and low in calories. They go well with sugar-free jam and whipped cream, or sugar-free maple syrup and butter.

Hi Sarez as well, and I hope you both do well!