Ostplattar/Cheese Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Ostplattar/Cheese Bread

I made these really low carb cheese breads known in Swedish as Ostplättar, I keep seeing them in my instagram feed so thought I'd give them a go because they look so yum!

I'm still trying to figure out the original source, I can't find it, I have found as far back as 2007 a version that uses mayonnaise instead of psyllium husks and I have also found mention of a book with ones that use cream instead of the mayonnaise but I'm not sure on the version with the husks as no-one seems to credit where it comes from and none of it is in English! Just in case she pops in, in the near future.... @arcticgirl do you recognise these?

My measurements won't be exactly accurate as their cup sizes are really small and I think they use smaller tablespoons but it doesn't matter as these turned out great. I'm going to make another lot tomorrow with maybe some salt added and Parmesan sprinkled over the top instead of sesame or maybe both as even though i added sesame I still felt it was lacking something. The texture is much better then oopsie rolls and they hold their shape whats better is you just grate the cheese then combine the ingredients and that's it, no whipping egg whites necessary. These get that lovely crispy melted cheese out side which is awesome. I'll add some ham or bacon to them one time like my Ham and Cheese Oopsie Rolls and I'll also make pizzas with these and burgers, I think these have lots of potential. I guess because of the cheese they wont be as useful with sweet stuff but perhaps just subbing the cheese with cream cheese like oopsie rolls will fix that. Next time I will weigh my cheese so I can calculate the counts.

Ostplättar / Cheese Bread

Serves: 6 rolls

Ingredients

3 eggs, beaten
      1.5 cups of grated cheese (non metric add an extra 1-2 tablespoons)
      1 tablespoon psyllium husks ( non metric add an extra teaspoon)
      1 teaspoon baking powder

Optional: sesame seeds

Method

Preheat oven to 200C/390F

Line baking tray with baking paper.

Combine cheese, husks and baking powder, add eggs and combine.

Spoon out onto tray into 6 evenly spaced piles, flatten a little and sprinkle over seeds.

Bake until golden, around 10 minutes, depends on your oven.

Allow to cool a little and enjoy!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Hi all,

Tonight, I have what I hope is an easy question: What can I substitute for the psyllium husks in the recipe for Ostplattar Cheese Bread? The photo looks fabulous and I'm definitely NOT eating enough fat (amazing but true). I went to Amazon - there were many forms of "psyllium husks" (whole, powders), colors, and weights from a few ounces to 12 lb containers.
      Amazon.com: psyllium husks: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Then I googled "psyllium husks + substitutes" - suggestions included Metamucil (don't have), chia seeds (have), ground flax seeds (may have), xantham gum (have, came in the mail yesterday, never used before).

If any ideas for a good sub, appreciate your shooting them my way.

Many thanks!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: . ().

• The psyllium husk powder in a bag like the Shiloh farms one there looks fine, you just want the husks with nothing added to them. Its should look similar to ground flax seed. Here in Australia we can get it in the health food section of the supermarket so you should have no trouble getting it as you guys generally have much variety then we do. Otherwise you could try flax seed and see how it goes, the husks are all fibre so basically 0 carb and work really well.. I'll show you a picture of what mine look like.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: . ().

• Thanks Sherrie. These sound and look amazing (and easy) and I really want to try making them this week.

Hi Pamchesbay. I've been to Chesapeake Bay, camping back in 2003 (can't remember exactly where). Beautiful, and a lot easier to catch fish there than it is here in Sydney (or maybe I was just lucky). For the psyllium husks make sure that you order the husks and not some powder made from the husks, and definitely don't get them with any colours or sweeteners or flavours.
    • I made some more yesterday with oregano mixed in and Parmesan sprinkled over the top before baking, these were much more tasty. They didn't rise so much this time, I'm not sure if I beat eggs too much or because I used a new baking powder (Bobs red mill brand). I also didn't get the crispy melted cheese effect so much this time, not sure if for same reason or because I had Parmesan over top or different brand of cheese.

• This might sound strange but I'm tempted to make these again but without the husks and see if i like them. The thing is, I often gag from I assume the texture of breads and cereals which is why i never ate them much since I was a small child. I struggled with the last 2 so this still caused the same problem, so i might just omit the husks and see what happens. The older references to Ostplättar recipes that i could find used mayonnaise or cream instead of husks. So I might just use a tablespoon of cream instead :)

• I have some in the oven. Will let you know how they go.

I think my eggs are a bit large, and I used pre-grated cheese, so maybe my proportions are not the best.They look and smell good, but didn't "puff". The proof will be in the eating.

Sherrie, I look forward to seeing the weights of ingredients when you get a chance. Next time I will use 50g eggs instead of the 58g ones.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kezzah62: Finished cooking ().

• I think these would be about the closest I have found to real bread... I am thinking that they were a bit eggy (could be because I need stronger cheese) - so know I am also thinking that they would be great as garlic and herb bread...

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.
    • I don't find them as eggy as oopsie bread.

Kerri, I did use pullet eggs, I used the oldest ones which were before my australorps started laying again so they would be close to 50g eggs I think. Mind you my second lot didn't puff but I did use different baking powder.

• I have some in the oven too but I'm afraid the outcome will not be pretty - nor will they look a bit like Sherrie's.

I used Sherrie's original recipe but didn't have the psyllium husks and the flax seed was buried deep in the freezer so I decided to omit that ingredient - apparently a big mistake. When I spooned stuff for the first two biscuits onto the baking pan, the batter separated, yellow egg oozed out for several inches while the cheese stayed in little clumps.

I decided to add the flax seed after all so I put the batter for the first two back in the bowl and added 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed. The next spoonfuls of batter seemed to adhere a bit better but not by much - within a minute or so, yellow egg was leaking all over. Put sesame seeds on three and Parmesan on three.

Sherrie said she used pullet eggs, I used "large organic eggs' from the market - would that cause the runny egg problem? Also, I used grated cheese from the market (did not grate it myself) so it has 2 grams of carbs per quarter cup of cheese (12 grams total). I think the carbs would cause the egg to be thicker, not thin and runny - don't know.

Will attach a photo of the final product that just came out of the oven. Doesn't taste bad but half is beaten egg, the other half is cheese and a little egg. One person asked if they could be used as wraps - maybe. ;)

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions about how I can make the Ostplattar cheese bread come out right - in the photo, it looks very tasty.
      Files
      • Ostplattar.jpg

(514.19 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by pamchesbay ().