How do I devise a diet with so many food intolerances?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• How do I devise a diet with so many food intolerances?

Hi. I am 48 and an incomplete quadriplegic, and need to lose weight. I have diabetes, and am allergic to night shade vegetables, so potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, capsicum are out, and the only meat I eat is chicken.
      I am trying to figure out tasty food that I can eat. It is difficult to think of different things when I am so limited. I have tried gluten free products but they are too expensive and not that nice.
      I have managed to lose 10 kg over the last 10 months or so but it's difficult when I can't exercise much. I'm down to 79 kg, but when you're only 5ft 1, and sitting down, every kg looks like 5, lol
      I am really not sure where to start when it comes to low carb, and I get bored with the same old stuff. Any and all ideas gratefully appreciated.
    • Welcome Wheeliegal :)

Hmm I think the main thing that I would miss is tomatoes but there's lots of things you can still eat that doesn't include tomatoes. If you like curries and stews you could try adding a bit of pumpkin instead of tomatoes unfortunately they're not as low as tomatoes so your mileage may vary.

What types of foods do you like to eat?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.