What happens if you eat 5800 calories on an LCHF diet?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• What happens if you eat 5800 calories on an LCHF diet?

What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet? - Diet Doctor

To cut a long story short, a smallish guy ate 5800 calories a day on LCHF for 3 weeks and only gained 1.7kg, which is a lot less than the calories-in-calories-out theorists would predict. And vastly less than others have gained by eating similar amounts of calories on typical modern High-Carb-High-Fat diets.

My first thought was that his calories were 10% carbs, so he was getting 580 calories per day from carbs - or about 145 grams of carbs. I would call that a moderate-carb diet, since most of us try to stick to less than 20 grams of carbs per day for weight loss.
    • Yeah I wouldn't call 145 grams low carb at all!

Hmm just looking at the photos I just don't think that's a good example that shows anything. When you're slim, fit and young you can get away with a lot. Also, changes in metabolism, enzymes etc don't happen overnight, his body would've been caught off guard initially.

If he could show that over a longer period of time in a middle age woman, that's battled with middle age spread he might have something :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.