Baked Ham and Cheese Custard

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Baked Ham and Cheese Custard

I made my first low carb savoury baked custard today. I decided with my first savoury custard to keep it simple with ham and cheese because I wanted to see if my daughter would like it. She didn't like the sweet one and she loves both ham and cheese and just as I suspected gave this the thumbs up :)

I can take or leave ham and cheese things as for me, just ham and cheese is too plain (unless its the ham and cheese oopsies!) but the texture was just the way I like it, very light, silky and smooth.

But for those of you who love your ham, cheese and custard, give this a try!

Low Carb Baked Ham and Cheese Custard

Ingredients:

600ml Cream
      3 Eggs
      50g Cheese, grated
      65g Leg Ham slices, chopped
      10g powdered parmesan
      Freshly ground salt and pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 170C

Mix eggs with a fork, season and slowly stir in cream being careful not to incorporate air. The most important part of making baked custard is to avoid air bubbles as much as you can.

Pour into 1-1.5 litre dish (I use a small porcelain corningware dish. Give a good tap and smooth out as many air bubbles as you can.

Combine grated cheese and ham and sprinkle evenly over custard (it will sink as it is cooking) and then sprinkle over the Parmesan.

Place dish into a roasting pan and pour hot tap water into pan until in comes half way up the dish.

Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until set with a bit of a jiggle in the middle, you don't want to over cook so don't wait for it to brown.

Remove from roasting dish and allow to cool.

I had some when it was still a little warm.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Love savory! I'd try it this weekend but we have a houseful of company - adult kids, grandkids, friends of g'kids so I'm cooking and washing up nonstop.

We are closing in on the official end of summer in the States (Labor Day weekend) so people who live within driving distance of a coast flock to the beaches for their last visit of the summer. The timing is odd - our weather is fabulous in Sept and Oct - better than July and Aug - unless we get hit by a hurricane or TS. School starts right after Labor Day in most of the country so that's a driving force too.

My #1 goal this weekend is to survive and NOT to fall off the LC wagon. It's hard when guests bring tempting treats - or just great food that isn't low carb. Gotta stay strong.

Sherrie, I've spent an incredible amount of time reviewing low carb resources. You have the best low carb site on the Internet, hands down. Everything is here - from descriptions of the various Atkins plans, menus for the stages, tasty recipes to experiment with. I want to thank you - I know maintaining this site must consume most of your waking hours and you've been doing it for a long time.

My husband and I have a very popular site about special education law in the US (educational rights of children with disabilities). It's similar to your site - #1 in the field. We started it in 1998. It's grown so huge that it's difficult for ppl to find info they need. I'm working on a major revision - in the early stages - and I know that will consume most of my life for many months or longer.

Thank you for all that you've done to help people - you are an inspiration.

Pam
    • Thanks Pam, yep whenever you do a revamp you become a slave to it for months but its always worth it :)

If you make this I would recommend adding other stuff as well as to me its a bit plain. There's so much you can do with it, think of it like a quiche except you are trying to achieve the silky custard texture. My next one will probably have some fried bacon and leek etc then I want to make Asian flavoured with stock instead of cream.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.