Low Carb Pumpkin Scones

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Pumpkin Scones

I had a go at making low carb pumpkin scones over the weekend, they turned out great but I seem to react to baking powder so I couldn't get into them but Garry gobbled them all up. He found that they reminded him of cornbread, I have never had corn bread so I have no idea but I am guessing its because the texture is more dense then a regular scone.

I will need to play with this some more i think but I thought I should pop this in here whilst it is fresh in my mind. It's just a basic pumpkin scone, you might want to add spices to it but I just wanted a yummy warm pumpkin scone with butter.

Almond meal seems to burn quickly. I think, mine needed a few more minutes but I couldn't leave them in longer, so I would suggest nudging the temperature down a bit and cooking a little longer.

I also made the mistake of adding the pumpkin before the egg but they still turned out. I did add a tablespoon of beef gelatin, I don't know if that helped or not.

Low Carb Pumpkin Scones

Ingredients:

1 cup (230g / 8.1 oz) of cold mashed roasted butternut pumpkin/squash.
      2 1/2 cups (350g / 12.3 oz)of almond meal (have extra on hand in case needed)
      20g / 0.7 oz butter
      2 tablespoons of sweetener (non metric add an extra teaspoon for each tablespoon)
      1/4 tsp salt
      1 egg
      3 teaspoons baking powder (I will try less next time or use bicarb and activate it)
      1 tablespoon (non metric = 4 teaspoons) Beef Gelatin

Method:

Preheat oven to 220C / 428F

Beat butter, sweetener and salt until white and fluffy, add egg then pumpkin.

Combine almond meal, gelatin and baking powder. Stir into pumpkin mixture.

Pat dough onto board and cut round shapes out and place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.

Place in oven for about 15-20 mins. I used top rack but next time I will try the middle rack.

Serve warm with butter :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: US conversions ().