Low Carb Rhubarb and Custard Tarts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Rhubarb and Custard Tarts

I made some yummy low carb rhubarb and custard tarts yesterday, I used the almond meal pastry that I made many years ago, Low Carb Short Crust Pastry.

However this time around it wasn't without its hiccups due to my oven. That time when I made those almond tarts I had a gas oven but I've moved a few times since then and now use a fan forced oven. So the method to my pastry baking wont be perfect and will require you to use your own judgement and intuition knowing your oven. I don't make sweet things much these days but I will try to practice making the shells and I will post it up in its own thread from making the pastry through to blind baking etc

I had no problems rolling the pastry this time the problem was lifting it up, next time I will place it between two sheets of baking paper before rolling.

My first problem was that it didn't feel like I had enough pastry, I might increase the pastry next time. Having said that my pastry shells worked and didn't fall apart or leak.

The second problem was the edges browned way too quickly whilst bling baking. I almost didn't continue making the tarts at that point but I decided to cover them with foil and that stopped the edges from browning. Next time I will cover the edges with foil during the blind baking process.

The last problem I noticed is that it was really obvious in the end that my oven does not cook evenly, I had some tarts with brown bases and some that looked blond, one of them stuck to the base a little when I removed it. I have a wide oven so next time I will distribute them over two baking trays so its just one row and see if that's better.

Otherwise the recipe worked great, I did feel that the almond pastry is a bit strong for the custard, though the custard developed in flavour more today. I just realised that I forgot to weigh the rhubarb so I will do that later.

Keep in mind I will put down the original pastry amount that was in this tart but you may want to increase the recipe, so for every half a cup of almond meal add 10g of butter and 2 teaspoons of sweetener if you need it.

You can use coconut cream and coconut oil to make it dairy free.

1 Metric tablespoon = 4 teaspoons

Low Carb Rhubarb and Custard Tarts

Makes: 6

Ingredients:

Pastry:

2 metric Cups (200g / 7oz) Almond meal
      2 Tablespoons sweetener (if using US tablespoons add an extra teaspoon for each tablespoon)
      1/4 tsp salt
      40g / 1.4oz unsalted butter, chilled and chopped into small cubes
      1-2 Tbl water, chilled

Filling:

3 rhubarb stalks
      250ml / 8.5 fl oz cream
      2 eggs
      2 Tablespoons sweetener (if using US tablespoons add an extra teaspoon for each tablespoon)
      1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
      Nutmeg for dusting

Egg Wash:
      1 egg yolk
      2 teaspoons water

Requires: 6 loose bottom fluted tart tins, base of tins should be 8 cm. Also make sure you have something to blind bake with. I found these little old gluten free alphabet pasta shapes from when Maya was little and used that, but you can use rice, dry beans etc

Method

Add almond meal, salt and sweetener to food processor and pulse on low to combine and break up any lumps. Add butter and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs then slowly add in chilled water until it forms into a ball.

If you don't have a food processor then sift dry ingredients together and rub butter into almond meal with your finger tips up high to incorporate air then slowly add in enough chilled water to form a ball.

Empty onto board and divide into 6 even balls and flatten into discs. Wrap individually in gladwrap/clingfilm and chill in fridge for around an hour.

Place tart tins onto a baking tray as this will make it easier to handle.

Roll dough between two sheets of baking paper and press into tart tins. If it breaks up, don't worry just gently press it in like you would a biscuit base. Cover and place back into fridge for 30 minutes to chill.

Above is how mine looked, I was too scared to bring the pastry up any higher, next time I will use extra pastry and have an over hang then remove the over hang after first blind bake.

Blind Baking:

Preheat oven, I did mine at 190C/375F fan forced but this was too hot as the edges browned.

Remove baking tray from fridge and cut 6 squares of baking paper and place over tarts and then fill with rice etc to weigh the base down. At this point, you may want to place foil over the edges to avoid them over browning. This is how mine looked when I covered them for the final bake. I cut foil into squares, folded them in half and then cut circles out and placed them over the shells.

Place on oven for around 10 or so minutes until pastry sets.

Remove from oven. Beat egg yolk with water to make an egg wash and baste over inside of pastry shells to seal it and then place back in oven for a few minutes until golden and set. Remove from oven and remove foil on edges.

Reduce oven to 160C/320F ( I did 150C/300F at that point.)

Filling:

Cut rhubarb stalks in half lengthwise then cut into 4-5 cm lengths. Don't cut them too long that way you don't risk them stabbing into the shell. Divide among pastry shells.

Using a fork combine eggs with sweetener and vanilla then add in cream being careful to not incorporate air. Tap to remove as many bubbles as you can.

Pour into shells and sprinkle over some nutmeg and place into oven for around 25-30 minutes or until custard is just set.

Allow to cool a bit before serving, the more it cools the more set the custard will be. Remove from tart tins carefully and place on wire rack.

Enjoy! :)

Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: Added US measurements ().