Nutty Rhubarb and Ginger Slice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Nutty Rhubarb and Ginger Slice

I have been mulling over a rhubarb slice recipe all week and finally decided on it today. This is almost perfect, I will wait until I taste it cold before I decide to make any changes. I am thinking of perhaps a little more ginger and dialing back the sweetener in the base/crumble as I think I can get away with less. I used a little organic blackstrap molasses, what it does is give the base that fruity taste that you get from brown sugar. I only used a half a teaspoon at most which shouldn't be much but you can just omit. This was really nutty and yum. I think I will be making this a lot.

I forgot to weigh the nut meals so I will update with counts once I have weighed them.

Low Carb Nutty Rhubarb and Ginger Slice

Serves: 10-12

Ingredients

500g / 1.1lb Rhubarb stems, chopped.
      15g / 0.5 oz fresh peeled ginger, finely chopped
      1/4 cup sweetener

Base/topping

1 cup (100g / 3.5 oz) Almond meal
      1 cup (100g / 3.5 oz) Hazelnut Meal
      1 cup (90g / 3 oz) almond flakes
      100g/3.5oz butter or coconut oil
      1/2 cup sweetener (will try 1/4 cup next)
      1/2 tsp organic blackstrap molasses
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/3 cup (30g / 1 oz) almond flakes (extra for topping)

Method:

Preheat oven to 170C / 340F (fan forced)

Line slice tray (16 x 26cm) with baking paper.

Melt butter/coconut oil with molasses then combine with all base ingredients except the 30g of almond flakes.

Press 2/3 to 3/4 of the base mixture into the slice tray reserving the rest for the topping and bake in oven for around 10 or so minutes until just golden.

Mix the 30g of almond flakes with the reserved base mix and set aside.

Place rhubarb, ginger, sweetener and a tablespoon of water in a sauce pan and cook over med low heat until water is dissolved and its cooked down but still retains shape.

Take base out of oven and place the rhubarb mixture over the top and sprinkle the reserved topping over it, gently pressing in a little.

Put back in oven and bake for around 30 minutes until cooked to your liking.

Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes or so to cool then gently lift out with the baking paper and slice in 10 to 12 portions.

Enjoy :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherrie: US conversions ().

• Yup! I might start making ice creams again soon now that its warming up! I have a espresso gelato that I forgot to post last summer, I just need to remember what i did lol
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• I made a chocolate version of this where I swapped out the rhubarb mixture with 100g of 85% chocolate, it worked well :)

That biscuit mix with the shaved almonds I am going to use for everything now including as a muesli because it's really yummy :)