Another bunch of dumb unsupported statements from the Dietitians Association of Australia

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Another bunch of dumb unsupported statements from the Dietitians Association of Australia

Kimberly Gillan wrote:

No carbs, no concentration: How rice, pasta and potato makes you smarter

Don't be so hasty to quit grains and fruit – it turns out that not only do carbs give us energy for our workouts and general functioning but our brain is totally reliant on them, so if you don't get enough you'll be super vague.

In fact, if we don't get enough carbs, our brains will start breaking down our muscles and organs to keep us alive.

"The brain and nervous system as a whole is highly dependent on glucose [from carbs and sugars] as a fuel source," explains Dr Alan Barclay, spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia.
    • Big bill wrote:

And long-term, a low-carb approach is highly likely to backfire.
      "Most of the research shows that you might be able to stick to these diets for six or 12 months but it tends to interfere with your social life and family, plus it can be expensive," Dr Barclay says.
      So,the summary paragraph concludes that it is likely to backfire...not because of health or medical reasons but because it will cost us money and friends...???

Not only is this person from the Dietitians Association criticising lc but also low sugar. Wow!!!
    • I will have to edit this in a sec because it is someones copyright.

Its a shame a Dr seemingly just spouts crap hes heard/read instead of researching if that crap is true first.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • No worries Sherrie, thanks.

I'm not sure of the legalities of cutting and pasting articles and providing a link back to the original article - I should have checked with you first.

These dietitians are spouting cr@p they learned at university, cr@p which isn't actually supported by research unless you cherry pick the research carefully and deliberately. Most of it is assumptions built on assumptions.

You've also got to consider who is funding these organisations.

And they always bring up the "there isn't enough research on the long term effects of low carb diets". Well actually there are groups that have eaten a relatively low carb diet for centuries (such as the Inuit) and guess what - their real health problems started when they moved to a modern high-carb diet.

Not to mention the biggest dietary experiment in history, pushing a high-carb low-fat diet for the past quarter of a century. We already know the long term health consequences of this approach to diet, and it isn't pretty.
    • I've become really disenchanted with the DAA these days. In the early days it was expected because not much was out there but there's been so much since and all they seem to have done is get worse especially lately with all of the attention Pete Evans has been getting.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• It does!

Then you have what they're doing to Noakes from South Africa to shut him down. Considering his background and education, you would think they would not be so ignorant. This is an awesome debate btw if you haven't seen it: Professor Tim Noakes Debates LCHF for Adults and Babies with Dietitian

Then there's that Dietitian here in Australia Jen Elliot: Expelled by DAA! (Dietitians Association of Australia)

You will remember what low carbing in the early days was like compared to all the information and research that's around now. I just don't get it.

• These days I'm kinda over the whole 'educating other people'.

I regained my weight and struggled with bad constipation for 5 years trying to restart.

I'm only now, starting to lose again.

I've found that I've had to basically realise the world is full of nasty people and to just look after myself and my wife. Even my extended family can do what they want.

I turn 40 in January, and realising my 30s were wasted on struggling with accepting low carb Atkins is the way forward. Far too many people in my ear using science and other reasoning to discourage me.

Spend my energy with like minded folks like you guys here at the forum.
    • You only live once, do what you know works best for you and what keeps you satisfied.

I have been having some girl issues which also came with constipation so I've started taking vit c 2-3 times per day which has fixed it *touch wood*

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: lol no idea why day was there ().