Low Carb Hazelnut Shortbread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Hazelnut Shortbread

I finally made the hazelnut shortbread that I have been wanting to make for a while for Christmas, its based around the Macadamia shortbread recipe from @ChrisA

I am going to rush this so I will update this later with anything I missed as well as go through my photos as I haven't gone through them yet, just grabbed one quickly so I can jot down this recipe that's still only in my head :)

Its very yummy, you will like it. I melted a 100g block of chocolate for decorating but I didnt even use half of it so I will put down 50g. My leftover melted chocolate and hazelnuts are current mixed and setting in the fridge, waste not want not! :D

I used beef gelatin, you probably don't need it but I do it to help with crumbling plus its good for us :)

I also used some organic blackstrap molasses, you don't need much and it gives a lovely fruity flavour, great for substituting the brown sugar taste.

I forgot to count how many I cut so I will have to go through my photos later and see if I can make out how many hehe

Hazelnut Shortbread

Shortbread

3 cups of hazelnut meal (300g)
      125g cultured butter, melted
      3 Tbl Grassfed Beef Gelatin
      3 Tbl Sweetener of your choice
      1/4 tsp of vanilla powder or 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
      1/2 tsp blackstrap Molasses
      Pinch of Himalayan salt

Decorating

50g 85% Dark chocolate, melted
      30g Freshly roasted and husked hazelnuts, crushed
      pinch of salt
      Optional: coat half a teaspoon in blackstrap molasses and stir into chocolate

Method

Preheat oven to 170C

Line small slice tray with baking paper.

Combine all shortbread ingredients and press into lined baking tray, cover and place in fridge, I left mine in overnight and baked first thing this morning.

Place in oven for 15 minutes, remove and allow to cool still in tray then cut into fingers.

Add a little finely ground pink salt and molasses to the melted chocolate and stir. I added the molasses just to offset the darkness of the chocolate as I don't make the shortbread very sweet.

Using a teaspoon drizzle the chocolate over the shortbread, I did a criss cross. Sprinkle over the hazelnuts.

Enjoy! :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.