Hello from Tassie newbie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Hello from Tassie newbie

Helloall
      just thought I would pop in and say hi....Hi

I am so new to all this and feel quite overwhelmed but determined. my health history is pretty poor, I have crohns, lupus, arthritis,insulin res, polycystic ovaries, psoriasisand I am currently 50kgs overweight. I take a lot of medication for the differentdiseases - which isn't the best for weight loss, but I believe not impossible. I would like to gain quick and simple recipes for me and my family. It looks like you have to be super organised –which I am not, in the next few weeks I will spend most of myafternoons/evenings in the car due to be the best taxi service around for mythree sporting girls. Any advice wouldreally be appreciated. My first questionis....I just started seeing a LCHF dietician and they would like me to committo a 12mth payment plan (works out heaps cheaper) to keep me on track. Just wondering if you made the life stylechange on your own or with a dietician?

Thanksfor listening

Andy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    • Welcome Andy! :)

Back in 2002 I started from a packet of some herbal weightloss liquid. On the inside of the packet was a list of foods that you could eat, it was a strict low carb diet and the first time I heard of it. This lead me to googling where I came across Atkins and this forum when it used to be called picture of health. I then moved away from the diet on the packet and more to Atkins induction what which is freely available over the Internet, I did end up buying the book but not until later during maintenance out of curiosity and to help me answer questions when people refer to something in the book. I've never looked back, I just naturally eat low carb foods and prefer them to high carb foods.

It is overwhelming at first but it does get easier, people have one advantage these days in that it is a lot more accepted and lots of people follow low carb in some form, lots more Drs on board these days!

Try not to get roped in to all the low carb "products".

The whole point is to change your lifestyle to that of a whole fresh food lifestyle and less dependence on products. Play around with recipes and learn how different things go together and what's really necessary in the foods you eat.

You definitely have a lot going on!!! Low carb should help a lot, keep in mind it can help so much you may have issues with your medications needing to be lowered as you go so make sure you see your Doctor to avoid side effects!

On the topic of paying a lot of money for a diet, I'm not a big believer in it, I think for something to work long term we need to learn to do it ourselves but some people may need that help at first. Some people find they need to pay a lot of money to commit, maybe some like to have someone else have the responsibility due to lack of confidence. So ultimately it's up to you but eventually you will have to learn to do it yourself so you can make it a permanent lifestyle and be able to change it as your needs change.

We are all here if you need us. Lots of recipes!

Ham and egg cups, oopsie rolls, ostplatter/cheese bread, psyllium pancakes are good ones from our recipe section to have ingredients on hand for :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Oh and if you have anything with psyllium husks make sure to keep a 2 hour window between them and any medications because they make pass your medications straight through with them when they come out the other end :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.