Dr. Stephen Phinney - 'Optimising Weight and Health with an LCHF Diet'

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Dr. Stephen Phinney - 'Optimising Weight and Health with an LCHF Diet'

I was watching a video series last night by Dr Stephen Phinney at one of the low carb down under events. It is 2.5 hours all up and he said some interesting things.

Firstly he says when we're in ketosis our kidneys excrete salt at a faster rate so we need to have 5 g of sodium per day. He relies on 3g from his diet and then supplements a cup of broth with 1g of sodium twice a day. This will keep a lot of the side effects like induction/keto flu at bay aswell as weakness.

Another interesting thing was the way he looks at calories is that so for say a 200 pound person, he will have them start at 1400 calories and 35g carbs, 140g protein and then as they lose weight their calories, fat and carbs will increase until they're at goal weight of say 150 pounds and maintaining on 2200 calories, 55g carbs, 111g protein with 171g of fat. Your protein is always 20% of calories so grams actually go down as increase carbs and fat.

The carbohydrate amount is not set in stone, he says carbohydrates are not needed so it's about whatever amount you do best whilst achieving ketosis.

I thought this was really interesting as the common thing to do in any diet, is decrease calories as you lose weight whereas he does the opposite!

I think I'll grab a copy of his book because this will be helpful for others!

Btw even though he's skinny he does this diet himself!

Here's the videos, I'll pop these in the video section today when I'm on my computer! It's too hard to do it on my iPad.

Dr. Stephen Phinney - 'Optimising Weight and Health with an LCHF Diet'

Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: Add ().

• I added some pink salt to my sparkling mineral water and it dissolved straight away and I could barely tell. I think atleast during this warm weather I am going to add extra salt that way. I should be doing it anyway due to my low blood pressure and low blood volume from my ME/CFS.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.