Bacon and Broccoli Quiche

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Bacon and Broccoli Quiche

I just put this one together and I really enjoyed it. A really nice very low carb quiche, enjoy!

Bacon and Broccoli Quiche

280g/10oz Bacon Rashers (I had 3 big rashers)
      280g/10oz Fresh Broccoli Florets, chopped (keep the left over stems for other dishes such as stir fries, coleslaw or slice into ribbons and use as a pasta)
      1 onion or 1 leek, chopped
      2 cloves of garlic
      fresh thyme
      4 large eggs
      300ml/10 fl oz cream
      110g/4oz grated cheddar cheese
      15g/0.5oz finely grated parmesan
      freshly ground black pepper and pink salt
      A pinch of fresh grated nutmeg

Preheat Oven to 180C/356F (fan forced)

Place bacon on baking tray lined with baking paper and pop in oven until cooked to your liking.

Fry Broccoli and onion then add garlic and thyme towards the end. My broccoli was still a little crunchy when I finished frying.

Remove bacon from oven, trim off crispy rind and eat it :) then chop bacon and combine with broccoli and onion mix.

Carefully pour bacon fat into a small dish for later use.

Grease quiche dish with butter then place the broccoli mix over dish and layer with grated cheddar cheese.

Combine eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg with a fork avoiding air bubbles, give a good tap and pour over the top of other ingredients in the quiche dish.

Sprinkle parmesan over then top the wack in oven for 30-40 minutes.

Once nicely browned take out of oven and let rest for ten minutes before serving.

Enjoy :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • nutmeg? why?

I never thought of adding broccoli - mmmm - might try adding some well chopped up next time.

The quiches that I make for brekky are different of course - and I put in lots of turmeric (and black pepper), should I be adding nutmeg too?

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.
    • Nutmeg is something I've always added to cheese or bechamel sauces otherwise I add mustard.

In my early low carb days I used to make a broccoli and cauliflower bake with a pinch of nutmeg :)

The quiche is really nice I didn't miss the pumpkin or tomatoes. I fried the broccoli until it had a nutty flavour. I almost burnt my onion in the beginning but caught it just in time, might be safer to cook the onion first then finish the onion with the garlic and thyme, cook a few more minutes then set aside and cook the broccoli.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Just saw bacon and broccoli quiche in one of my news feeds!!

My quiches only have pumpkin if i ever have any any preroasted. they are primarily egg cream bacon leek and tumeric at the moment. But im planning to add finely chopped spinach or kale next time.

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.