New to site I hope this is where I post!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• New to site I hope this is where I post!

Hello,
      I'm Cynthia. I live in the US and found this site while searching for lo carb recipes. I'm 53, 5 ft. 2" and 157lbs. (I'm not good at metrics!) I am trying to change my carb addiction but I'm not wild about the choices I've been making by eating bacon, pepperoni, cheese etc. As my go to food. I'm hoping to hear and see what others who want a lo carb life style eat and cook. I'm also curious about when you start adding carbs. I've lost 5lbs in 3 weeks staying pretty true to induction. Can I remain here aslong as I'm losing? Thanks for ANY ADVICE!! :)
    • When I did it I just stuck to 20g for months but included things like nuts, low carb fruits and didn't limit my dairy to a specific amount. I ate a lot of very low carb veg with my meals to fill me up like broccoli. And for my sweet tooth I often made a cheese cake and had a slice for breakfast or lunch. Now there's recipes like oopsie rolls, cream cheese muffins and ostplatter which make things easier also.

I didn't really go up the carb ladder properly, I rather did my own thing and when I went into maintenance I just experimented and when the scales went up I knew to drop my carbs a little. I never went back to how I ate before low carb,
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • thanks, that helps to know. I thought I would be dropping much more. I use the Lose It app and record everything I eat . My nutrients show 63% fat, 30% protein and 7 % carbs so far this week. I'm up and down on the scale. Would not drinking enough water stall me? Also, I had a bad addiction to Dt. soda I have them on occasion. I have gone over 20 carbs a few times in the month since I've started some days I'm at 7-9 carbs for the day. We do subtract fiber maybe I shouldn't be doing that? Also, I walk 3 miles at least 4 days and attend an aerobic step/toning class 2 nights. I'm feeling frustrated because I haven't "consciously touched a "bad" carb this whole time. Perhaps I'm missing hidden carbs???? Thanks again for talking the time to answer so many questions!
    • No if you're using American nutritional information then definitely subtract. The fibre or you will be eating hardly any good vegetables!

You sound like you're doing well, maybe start a diary and jot down what you eat and drink each day for a bit incase there's something you're doing wrong?

When your up and down on the scale take note of what you ate before that, especially if you're up by a few pounds over night as that's a sign of going out of ketosis.

Drinking water does help and I guess some people are sensitive to sweeteners but plenty also lose whilst drinking diet drinks. You could always experiment with it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.