Low Carb Lemon Curd slice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Lemon Curd slice

I have lemons coming out of my ears at the moment so frantically thinking up low carb ways to use them up. I decided on making a low carb lemon curd and then using that and Chris's macadamia shortbread recipe as my guide for the base.

Turned out really well, I wanted to sprinkle with almonds flakes before the last baking but forgot to buy some!

Low Carb Lemon Curd slice

Serves: 12 or more

Ingredients:

2.5 cups (250g/8.8oz) almond meal
      3/4 cup of whole macadamias
      110g/3.8oz butter, melted
      1/4 cup of sweetener - for non metric just use 4 tablespoons
      Pinch of Salt
      1 batch of cooled lemon curd, recipe here: Low Carb Lemon Curd

Optional:
      1/2 teaspoon of blackstrap mollasses (add this to butter when melting)
      1 tablespoons of Beef Gelatin
      Flaked almonds
      Berries to serve

Method:

Grind Macadamias in processor until chopped to your liking, fine or chunky doesn't matter. Add macadamias to mixing bowl with dry ingredients then add melted butter and combine.

Line a small slice tray with baking paper and pressed shortbread mixture into tray then prick everywhere with a fork. Cover and place in fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. I just chucked mine in the freezer for a bit.

Preheat oven to 170C/338F (fan forced)

Remove covering and place slice tray into oven for around 10-15 minutes until just starting to brown.

Remove from oven and spread with the lemon curd (you could sprinkle over flaked almonds at this point) then place back into oven for around 10 minutes or so to caramelise the curd a bit.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in tray then pop in fridge for 30 minutes to allow curd to set. Remove from fridge and slice. I did 12 slices.

Dress with berries either before or after slicing.

Enjoy :)

Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.