THE SAVING AUSTRALIA DIET

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• THE SAVING AUSTRALIA DIET

This was on Sunday Night (channel 7) last night.

It involves 3 people with type 2 diabetes following 3 different diets.

1 will be following low carb/paleo with Pete Evans, another will be following low GI through a dietician and last but not least will be following an 800 calorie diet with Dr Micheal Mosley. (author of 5:2 diet)

Can three experts take three Australian with Type two diabetes and reverse the condition with only food?

Tasmania's Tony Benneworth, NSW mum Cassandra Floyd and Perth resident Jack Merolla have volunteered to trial three separate diets with the guidance of nutrition experts who believe they can heal sufferers of type two diabetes without medication.

They are the faces of a national health crisis, with a new Australian being diagnosed every five minutes with the deadly disease.

Dr Michael Mosley, Chef and author Pete Evans and Dietician Alex Parker — along with medical physicians — will guide their new diets with three very different approaches.

Pete Evans will coach Tony in the ways of low-carb-healthy-fat eating, known as LCHF, while Alex Parker will teach Cass and her family to eat the Dietician's Association recommended diet, a high-fibre and low-GI approach.

Dr Mosley will follow his published 800 calorie diet with Jack, a fast-track diet designed to achieve rapid weight-loss in those diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

"The future of this country depends on us having an understanding of how we can actually get our next generations through hopefully without it escalating," Pete Evans said.

Read article here: The saving Australia diet - Yahoo7
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Just to add I have stumbled across a 2nd part of the video but cant find anyway to share/link to the separate videos so you will have to look for it, sorry!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Rapid weight loss is the point. And in the short term you won't have a lot of blood sugar because your body is in starvation mode.

I saw this article recently. Interesting how it contradicts what a lot of so-called experts have been claiming for years:

NYTimes wrote:

It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes.
      Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.
      What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/…ser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

Which backs up what you always say about very low calorie diets, that they do more harm than good.
    • ScrappyKat wrote:

Yeah the weight will go back on pretty fast with the 800 cal diet. But I think it's just two days a week on 800

I just read the article again and it's strict 800 calories every day:

Devised Dr Michael Mosely, it is a strict limit just 800 calories every day from a Mediterranean diet.

"That basically means a diet which is fruit and veg, but also lots of oily fish, a glass of red wine lots of oily nuts and plenty of olive oil and occasional bits of dark chocolate"

"It's not easy but this is for pre-diabetics and diabetics so you're going to have to lose 10-15 percent of your body weight and that means you could be losing say 10 kilos."

While it might sound like a crash diet — and it is designed for rapid weight loss — Dr Mosley says it is different from a fad.

"It appears to be that rapid weight loss is the way to go but when I say rapid I don't mean super rapid.

That's why I'm talking 800 calories. 800 calories is the lower end of normal."

I'd also love to know how he can call 800 calories the lower end of normal. 800 calories is very low calorie territory, nothing normal about it.

• Don't forget there should be an update tonight! I will have to wait until tomorrow though when its on catchup as we don't have TV reception :)

• Her exact message to me: "...the low-carb diets effectively put you in the state of a non-compliant (Not taking medication) diabetic... weight loss quick BUT, organ damage max... leads to blindness, loss of limbs etc. (obviously long-term but NOT good...) I KNOW .... I've been told about ketoacidosis and the long-term effects on diabetics...."

I really don't understand what she's on about.
    • Shes confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis. They're totally different and children with epilepsy have been treated with an even stricter keto diet for decades!

• My friend who was supposed to be dead from cancer 5 years ago generally follows a strict ketogenic diet. He knows that if he doesn't follow it very strictly his cancer markers go up, which he doesn't want. He isn't in remission, he's just been fighting it all the way with medication and an almost zero-carb diet.
    • So he still has obvious tumors?

Garry, as far as we know has good markers, he's never got copies of any blood test results which annoys me at times as I'd love to compare but it's his decision.

• Yes Sherrie, he still has tumours. Still praying for a remission.

He has already beaten the odds. He was optimistically given a 7% chance of surviving 5 years and he has done that. That was based on his chances of going into remission after chemo. He didn't get the remission but he has found a combination of diet and medication that has slowed the progress down, and he has had a LOT of tricky operations overseas to remove tumours. He is on medications that doctors in Australia are not allowed to administer, and he has had operations that doctors in Australia wouldn't attempt as they were considered too risky. He has spent about $1M already as well.
    • Wow, well good for him for putting up the fight for his life like that! Most people wouldn't be able to. 7% chance, to hear that and still not give up WOW is all I can say!

• Finally have some updates!

Last week they showed Cassandras progress at the half way mark, I think she's doing well so far:

In four weeks, Cass has seen a 4kg weight loss, which Alex says is a sign of a sustainable eating plan.

“It's really motivating to see, you know, for Cass to see the results, to see her blood sugar has come down, to see her weight come down and know that this is something that's going to last for the long term. It's not just a quick fix"

Despite sugar and caffeine withdrawals Cass says she is more motivated than ever to stay away from junk food and has also had a few exercise sessions with personal trainer Katie Calvelli.

"Vegetables, can’t get enough of, fruit, I can’t get enough of – I’m loving pears," Cass said.

"I have a chocolate bar that sits in my drawer and every time I feel like eating it, I just flip it over and go '50g of sugar' yep put it back in the drawer."

Full story and video here: The saving Australia diet: Cassandra s check-up - Yahoo7

And last night they had the 2 guys:

LCHF: It was given that he would do well being male and likely first diet, with cheat days too!

When Tony Benneworth was first diagnosed with type two diabetes almost eight years ago, like a lot of men his age his response was to ignore it.

But at 65, he’s taking action.

With the help of Dr Gary Fettke and Pete Evans, he’s gone on a low carb, healthy fat diet, and four weeks in the results are already incredible.

Tony's diet has resulted in a remarkable 7kg weight loss and 8cm trimmed off his dangerous belly fat in four weeks.

What is even more remarkable is it has allowed his to eliminate one of his diabetes type two medications entirely.

"This is what I love about this way of eating because by about anywhere from week three to week six, your body will stop being a sugar burner and change to being a fat burner," coach Pete Evans said.

Tony has admitted to having several 'cheat days' at the football, resulting in an obvious blood sugar spike, but overall he has improved his health markedly.

800 cal: Even bigger results for same reason plus VLCD.

The former binge eater was assigned the Michael Mosley 800-calorie blood sugar diet, the most extreme of our chosen diets, designed for rapid weight loss to escape the danger zone.

After eating less than a third of the calories he’s used to Jack lost 12.6 kilos in just six weeks.

"The first three weeks of my diet, that, I'll be very honest here, was not easy. Um that was big change and I struggled."

"It's changed my life. I was a couch potato, all I wanted to do was sleep, wasn't interested in doing anything with my wife. Now instead I just want to go out there and live life."

The diet wiped 15cm off his stomach and has given him more energy and a better understanding of how to eat.

Dr Patrick Garratt delivered the amazing results, including a reduction in blood glucose from 8.2 to 6.6.

Full story and video here: The saving Australia diet: Jack & Tony s check-up - Yahoo7

• I forgot to mention that according to a post by Pete Evans on his Facebookage, Tony had already been doing the diet for 2 weeks where he lost the same amount of weight so in reality he had lost 15kg instead of 7kg. I wonder if the others started earlier also?

Did you catch Sunday night on 7 last night? What the didn't show or tell you was that Tony started on our diet 2 weeks before the cameras got to him and lost 7 kg in those 2 weeks as well so his total for the 6 weeks has been 15kg so far and his blood sugar levels are normal when he eats this way for a type 2 diabetic and this way is sustainable. Great to see Tony in the kitchen and cooking up a storm, click the link below to watch the update! #foodismedicine