Persian Love Cake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Persian Love Cake

I have made this Persian love cake twice now and have 2 versions so far of this cake. It has been in the back of my mind ever since it was made on an episode of My Kitchen Rules. The first version used 4 teaspoons of nutmeg which was too much for me, so next time I make it that way, I will use less. I didn't have to change much to make it low carb. All it needs is a substitute for brown sugar plus I chose to reduce the amount, so its not too sweet. I ate mine with home-made yoghurt which went great together. With my second one, I changed to flavours commonly used in Greek recipes but without the honey, this worked great too. This is a very moist cake and not really a cakey texture either, the texture has some similarities to the buttery almond cake.

This can be tricky removing from the pan because its so moist. At room temperature it's very moist and crumbly, which can make removing the base tricky. This time I waited until it had been in the fridge overnight, it was firmer but hard to get the baking paper off around the edges. I use the recipe by Gourmet Traveler as my base. Of course the butter and yoghurt can be replaced with coconut substitutes to make it dairy free.

Persian Love Cake

Ingredients:

Base
      3 cups of almond meal
      1 cup of sweetener (paleo could use coconut sugar)
      Optional: 1 tsp organic blackstrap molasses
      1 tsp salt
      120g unsalted butter, cubed.

Filling 1
      1 cup of yoghurt (Greek or thick natural/home-made yoghurt)
      2 eggs, lightly beaten
      4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg (about one whole nutmeg - I plan to use less nutmeg next time as it was too much)
      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      1 teaspoon ground cardamon
      Optional: you can also play with rosewater and saffron, perhaps even remove the nutmeg altogether

OR

Filling 2
      1 cup of yoghurt (Greek or thick natural/home-made yoghurt)
      2 eggs, lightly beaten
      2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
      1 teaspoon ground cloves
      1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      Optional: 1 tsp finely grated orange rind and juice from half an orange

Topping
      1/2 cup of raw pistachios roughly chopped
      2 Tbl flaked almonds

Method:

Preheat oven to 170C/340F (Fan Forced)

Butter spring form pan and line bottom and sides with baking paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine sweetener and molasses until brown sugar consistency, combine meal and salt then cut and rub in butter until forms into crumbs.

Pour half of the crumb mixture into spring form pan and press down to form a base.

Combine your choice of filling ingredients to the other half of the crumb mixture and then pour over base.

Sprinkle pistachios around the perimeter and flakes in the center then bake in the oven for 45 minutes or so until golden.

Remove from oven and place onto wire rack and leave it there until completely cooled.

Serve with yoghurt rather then cream, a little fruit goes well too. This cake is often decorated with rose petals and/or pomegranate seeds.

Enjoy :)

Here's some pics of how it looked before and after it went into the oven:

Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: add ().