Dry lips in winter only

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Dry lips in winter only

I'd like to know what you find best for treating dry (but not chapped) lips (commercial or home made) . Seems that each winter (due to lower humidity) I'm plagued with this, though it's only been a problem since I turned 60. It could be something to do with being post menopausal. I've also noted I have a lot less hair in my legs/ underarms. Could hormones also be causing dry lips?

I tried pressing/holding a used green tea bag between my lips without much success.
      Appreciate any help in this problem.
      Cheers,
      Patty

2005-2015 Maintaining 55-57 kg
      2016 Maintenance Goal 54-55
    • Thanks Sherrie. Looks like your coconut oil suggestion is the best choice for lip care home remedies.

DRY LIP REMEDIES

Sometimes, going natural with your lips can be the best way to go. Below are some of the most effective remedies for dry lips, using ingredients that are more than likely already found in your kitchen cupboard.

Coconut oil

Coconut oil helps to boost the overall health of your skin and can help to improve dry lips. It is a natural fat that contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These MCFAs mean our skin can easily absorb it. Coconut oil also helps our body absorb more vitamins, such as vitamin E, which is vital for reducing the production of cell-damaging free radicals.

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is beneficial for many parts of your body due to its natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe skin and relieve stinging sensations. Applying the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf to your lips is a lovely soothing remedy.

Rose water and honey

Apply a natural mixture of honey and rose water to your lips every day for about 15 minutes before washing off. Honey and Rose Water work together to help prevent cracking and provide deep moisturisation.
      Cheers,
      Patty

2005-2015 Maintaining 55-57 kg
      2016 Maintenance Goal 54-55