Best Calcium Supplement?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Best Calcium Supplement?

Hi Sherrie,
      My GP advised me to increase my calcium intake about a year ago (I'm 64) . I have 100 g Greek yogurt daily and 2-3 times a week I'll have 30 g full fat cheese as well as can of sardines or salmon. That probably gives me some of my daily calcium needs. The supplement I chose does not cause constipation (like Caltrate did), but I wonder if its one of the better types? I'm taking 2 capsules /day.
      Each capsule of Wagner's Total Calcium Complete contains: 961.55 mg Hydroxyapatite (equiv. calcium 250 mg) , 125 mg Magnesium oxide, 500 ug zinc, 6.25 Vit D3, 1 mg Manganese ( as Amino Acid Chelate) and 100 ug Vit K1. I'm also taking Blooms Tri-Magnesium Citrate 900 mg (equiv to 139.05 elemental magnesium) for leg cramps. I take 1 of these capsules per day.

As far as RDI is concerned re the latter which measure does one look at - the equivalent 139.05mg or the 900mg?

Thanks for your help :) .
      Cheers,
      Patty

HW 2003: 65 kg

Maintenance 2005 - 2015: 55 - 57 kg ....tick
      Maintenance Goal for 2016: 54 - 55 kg.... tick
      Maintenance Goal for 2017: 54 - 55 kg .... tick
      Maintenance Goal for 2018: 54 - 55 kg

The post was edited 1 time, last by Patty ().

• Well it's good that it has magnesium with it, this will help keep you from getting constipated. You could probably get ones with better doses though as the zinc and D3 looks quite small have you had you D3 levels tested? It's really important for bone health and most people don't convert it well as they age or just use too much sun protection effectively blocking it!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • D3 was last tested last August 2015 (end of winter) and was a bit low (50 not the recommended 100) after that I was taking D3 alone for a while. Next blood will be done in March 2017, so hopefully there will be an improvement.
      Cheers,
      Patty

• Thanks for thinking of me, Sherrie. It's a worry that one can get calcified arteries and we are harming ourselves taking supplements. Perhaps I should try to get all my calcium from food sources. There's a lot of money tied in with supplements and advertising, but you wonder whether they are really helping?
      Cheers,
      Patty

• Yes it's certainly interesting, I have read many times before when I was into supps more that argue against supplementing calcium.

I am thinking bone broth would be a good way to supplement our bones, great for our gut health aswell.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • I'm with you Sherrie. Read some articles on the downside of calcium supplements yesterday and am almost convinced they can do more harm than good. I'll look into increasing food sources and maybe buy a powdered bone broth from the health store.
      My GP suggested food sources, not supplements but it's difficult to reach the 1300 mg per day consistently.
      Cheers,
      Patty