Chicken Lettuce Cups

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chicken Lettuce Cups

I made these Lettuce cups for my daughter and I and we loved them. You can add all sorts of things to them and make them really hot, add lots of herbs etc. Mine were kept relatively basic so they would get past my daughter :)

I originally planned on minced beef Lettuce cups but when I went to add the beef I soon realised it was in the freezer. Luckily I had a packet of chicken tenders in the fridge so I chucked them in instead and they were great. I cooked them whole to keep them moist then chopped up before serving.

Now this was kind of an experiment on a whim so I am going on memory here but I promised @sam68 I would post it. Next time I make them I will do a proper photo and go over the recipe :)

IMG_4770.JPG

Chicken Lettuce Cups

Ingredients:

Chicken tenders
      Big chunk of ginger peeled and finely chopped
      3 garlic cloves finely chopped
      3 spring onions, sliced
      1-4 red cayenne chillies, sliced (you might want to save some and sprinkle over when serving)
      1-2 tablespoon of soy sauce (to get a sweet kecap manis flavour you could add a little blackstrap molasses)
      1-2 tablespoon of fish sauce
      Shredded kaffir lime leaves (you can buy some in a jar that's already shredded), about a teaspoon.
      Lime juice
      Sesame oil
      Oil for frying.
      Salt/pepper if needed

Condiments:

Baby gem lettuce leaves
      Cucumber, chopped
      Avocado, chopped with some lime juice
      Finely grated carrots
      Fresh Herbs such as mint and coriander
      Chopped peanuts
      Seasame seeds
      Fresh chilli
      Bean sprouts
      Basically anything you like that goes with Asian flavours.

Method:

Fry garlic, ginger and chilli until aromatic then add chicken tenders and fry until sealed then add spring onions, soy, fish sauce and kaffir leaves, juice, cover and cook through.

When ready add a little sesame oil and chop up chicken, mix in with sauce, check seasoning and serve into a bowl.

Serve condiments in bowls and just add desired ingredients to your Lettuce cups as you go!

Yum :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.