Low Carb AND Low Calorie: Chicken and vegetables in black bean sauce

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb AND Low Calorie: Chicken and vegetables in black bean sauce

Chicken in Black Bean Sauce
      This was a huge meal, would suit one very hungry faster or 2 moderately hungry fasters. Or you could just eat half now and half later.

Ingredients:
      120 g skinless chicken breast sliced thinly
      100 g red capsicum (bell pepper) sliced
      60 g onion (I used brown onion) sliced
      60 g button mushrooms sliced
      2 cloves garlic chopped finely
      half a packet (125 g) of konjac noodles
      1 tablespoon black bean sauce (I used Ayam brand)
      1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce (alternatively use half a tablespoon of soy sauce)
      50 ml to 100 ml of water
      A good non-stick saucepan

Instructions:
      preheat the saucepan until a little water splashed into it sizzles and steams right away. Add the chicken breast and a little water. Keep the chicken breast evenly spread out and it should cook in 2 or 3 minutes. Keep it moving so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.

Remove the chicken and keep on a plate.

Add the garlic and vegetables and a couple of splashes of water. If you like the vegetables soft you can cover the saucepan for a minute or two so that they steam. Otherwise just stir the vegetables around until they are the right texture for you.

Add the noodles then add the black bean sauce and teriyaki sauce. Stir until the sauce is evenly spread.

Remove from the heat and add the chicken back in. Stir it around to get some sauce on the chicken. You don’t want to cook the chicken any further at this stage.

Tip onto a plate and enjoy.

Calories: About 240 and it’s a genuinely big and satisfying meal. I would feel comfortable serving this exact recipe at a dinner party and I don’t think anyone would even suspect that it’s “diet food”.
      This would make a good light evening meal on non-fasting days for me.
    • Thanks Sherrie.

I made it last night. I added bean sprouts and extra mushrooms to increase the volume. It ended up being a huge meal

My son saw me eating it and asked if he could try some. He is 12 years old and a fussy eater.

I gave him a bowl. He loved it. I had to thaw out some more chicken breast and make him some more as he was still hungry. For the second batch, which I didn't try, I used 2-minute-noodles instead of konjac noodles.

He will most likely ask me to make it again tonight.