Pita/Puzza Base/Tortillas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Pita/Pizza Base/Tortillas

right guys, i tried this out over the weekend and i am so stoked with the results:
      Makes 3 pitas/tortillas/pizza bases

20 grams hi protein flour
      50 grams gluten flour
      pinch salt
      2 tsp xanthan gum
      1/2 tsp baking powder
      1/3 cup water

Mix dry ingredients first, then added water slowly. The dough should be quite soft and a little sticky to touch in the bowl. Place dough onto a very well floured board (soy flour) to roll out. You need to roll the dough in the flour as well, or it will stickt to the rolling pin. You can use baking paper to make it easier, but you still have to flour the dough.
      Pitas: divide dough into 3 round pieces and roll each out until roughly 1 - 1.5 cm thick. Grill on both sides until brown. Put in microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes on high. Pita will puff up. Remove from microwave and slit one end with a knife (be careful of steam). Fill with what evever you like.
      Tortillas/Pizza base: divide dough into 2 and roll out until desired thickness. I baked these ones until cooked (10 mins). Top with whatever you like and cook as pizza. Fold/roll filled with whatever you like for tortillas (they must be warm to fold)

Righto sorry about the delay in getting this up here, and I am sorry too that I unfortunately got the carb count wrong :mad: but the label on my protein flour was a bit misleading. anyway i got to the bottom of it and am working on getting the carb count lower.
      Total:
      Protein 86g
      Fat 4.5g
      Carbs 29.5
      Cals 490

Per Serve:
      Protein 28g
      Fat 1.5g
      Carbs 9.5g
      Cals 163
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • nope it's high protein flour so it's not for induction. i found it at a little local supermarket, so you should be able to find it somewhere. it's basically flour with higher protein levels and the carbs are reasonably lower 40g = 14g carbs something like that. the one i bought is organic. i'll copy down all the details tonight and post them tomorrow re what brand etc.

funky i am flattered that smelly might want to kiss my feet, but i am sure he could live without it! would be great to meet you guys though.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • yep sounds like it. the one i used is Nature First - Stonemilled Wheat Grain Hi Protein Flour. The are in Victoria, here are their details:
      03 9584 2245 or email prodinfo@kadac.com.au

i actually go this at a Richies in Ringwood North, i had a look in Coles at Northcote last night and didn't see it. i wonder if the health food shop would have it?
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • yes that's the thing, i can eat them 'cause i am on 70g a day. don't worry cazza i will make them lower, i think i will start by taking the xanthan gum out and try a few different things. never fear, sam will fix it!!

you can buy the gum at coles in the HF section. at least i did.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Hi,
      Found this on the Empower site for all those with the cereal

Margarita Pizza
      Serves 2
      Per serve:
      · Grams of carbohydrate = 7.5
      · Grams of protein = 28
      Ingredients:
      · 1/3 cup Empower Foods FibreX
      · 1/3 cup soy flour
      · 1/3 cup grated tasty cheese
      · 1 tsp baking powder
      · ½ tsp salt
      · 1 egg
      · 2 tb Empower Foods LC Tomato Sauce
      · 2 tb fresh basil leaves, torn
      · 100g mozzarella cheese
      Method:
      1. Preheat oven to 180.
      2. Line pizza tray with baking paper.
      3. Combine FibreX, soy flour, cheese, baking powder and salt.
      4. Add egg and mix to a dough.
      5. With wet finger press out dough onto baking paper, thinning it out to 1 cm thick.
      6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
      7. Remove from oven, top with Empower Foods LC Tomato Sauce, then basil, then mozzarella cheese.
      8. Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.

Regards
      Denise
    • you can buy the gum at coles in the HF section. at least i did.

So what is this gum ???

You will also find that rye flour is a good sub for soy. I HATE SOY.

Also if anyone has a thyroid problem please note that Soy products will inhibit your absorption of your medication so SOY with CARE....

These recipies also go well for folk doing low gi I think ???:( :)
    • i can't remember what the gum is from but it works as a thickener. mine also says it's a bread improver. i don't use it much, too much and it goes slimy.

just a note, i tried out a variation of my first ones and they were ok, i haven't got the recipe will post it for you soon.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home