Lunch suggestions?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lunch suggestions?

I am lazy...its a fact...I love cooking dinners, but I rarely prepare lunch before I go to work. So...I go down the local shops near here (Coles, random hot food/deli shops, thai, indian etc) and get lunch. I have been having roast chicken and cheese and avo a lot, but gettng a bit bored of it. I tried a couple of the thai dishes without noodles but didn;t find that I lost as quickly when I did this in a week. So looking for some other suggestions for lunches? I eat a salad a week or so for lunch, but a lot of my dinners are with salad so don't want to overdose on the boredom factor with salads.
    • If you have a microwave at work, you just need to dish up an extra meal at night and then heat it up next day for lunch, or else you could take a thermos of Sam's cauli and bacon soup...

Here are a few links with some Ideas, and I have added a link to Ladybird's tuna bake,great for dinner and great next day cold or hot...
      [broken]
      apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=518
      There are really some great recipes on the forum, so when you have a few free moments, take the time to check them out;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: Removed broken links ().

• Left-overs! I make sure that whatever I make the night before, I make heaps of so I have lots of left-overs. Then I try and get creative about turning the left-overs into something a little bit different so I don't feel like I am eating the same thing.

I make this lamb shanks dish (divine) with a tomato and vegetable sauce. I make double the sauce. The sauce is quite low in carbs because I buy a very low carb Italian bottled sauce as base. The next day, when the flavours have developed it is beautiful poured over pureed cauliflower (good winter dish).

I also make a mean mushroom bolognaise mix which is even better the next day microwaved and with a dollop of sour cream.........mmmmm..........might make it tonight.
    • I just read this recipe on an email group that I lurk on. Sounds simple to make for lunches

Use a big greased muffin tin and place a slice (round) of ham into each
      tin, break an egg into each, drizzle a little cream, salt and pepper and
      chopped parsley over then bake in a low oven for about 8-10 minutes or
      until egg just done.
    • Low Carb Sauces

Hi everyone. Just thought i'd share my find. Stumbled across EmpowerFoods New Range of Low Carb sauces the other day. Tomato, Satay and sweet and sour. They're all lovely and extremely low in carbs.
      They also make muffin mixes, cookie mixes and low carb cereal.

I'm the same with lunches. I'm a grazer and much rather pick throughout the day than have big meals. Problem is, I tend to eat far to o many nuts because they're so easy to pick. Any other suggestions for a crunchy low carb snack with less fat than nuts?
      Pixie
    • I dont think it is the fat in nuts that you need to worry about but the carbs and the calories are the killers. My latest snack is the flavoured philly cheese squares. Maybe even some of that in some celery would be good for crunchy snack. Or what about snowpeas, they crunch!!!!!!
    • Mushroom bolognaise

The tomato base I use is Annalisa passato di pomodoro (tomato puree) - it has 4.6g carbs per 100g and 23 cals. It makes a great base for a homemade sauce if you add other vegies like onions or celery.

The bolognaise recipe:
      1 tbsp olive oil
      1 onion
      1 clove garlic, crushed
      500g - 700g trim mince
      loads of mushrooms (the recipe says 125g but I normally use about 500g)
      2 tblspns tomato paste (I use Leggos)
      425g can chopped tomatoes
      1 cup red wine (don't stress, the cooking will evaporate the alcohol!)
      salt & pepper to taste
      I also add some chilli flakes for extra zing
      1 tbspn chopped parsely

Heat oil in saucepan.
      Saute oinion and garlic until onion is tender.
      Add mince and brown well, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks.
      Stir in mushrooms and tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes.
      Gradually blend in all remaining ingredients except parsely.
      Simmer uncovered for 40 - 45mins, adding a little water if mixture becomes too thick.
      Stir in parsley and serve.

It makes heaps and the flavour improves the longer you leave it. Freezes well too and is easily reheated in the microwave.

I haven't done a PFC because these days I dont' accurately measure the ingredients (and also I eat a LOT in one sitting) but for an example, the last time I made it, one-quarter to one-third serve worked out to: 433 cals, 10.7g CHO, 37.4g protein, 22.5g fat, 4.7g fibre.
      But that makes a whole meal. If you serve it over vegies, add cheese or sour cream, or have a salad with it, you will eat a lot less than one quarter of it (I'm just a pig when I'm training!
      :p )
    • Lamb Shanks with Vegetables

OK, you twisted my arm!

Lamb Shanks with Vegetables
      Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil
      4 lamb shanks trimmed of all visible fat
      3 sprigs of thyme
      1/2 brown onion, chopped
      1 tbsp red wine vinegar
      1.5 cups low carb bottled tomato sauce
      1 cup water
      1 clove garlic, crushed
      some baby carrots (up to 8 depending on how many carbs you can have) peeled and left whole
      2 sticks of celery, cut into 5cm pieces
      1 red capsicum, halved and cut into eighths
      salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 150 degrees C (300F)
      Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and brown the shanks for a few minutes
      Add the thyme and onion, and stir for 2 minutes
      Add the vinegar, tomato sauce and water, shake the pan a little before adding the garlic, carrots, celery and capsicum.
      Season with a little salt and pepper and stir well.
      Bring to a simmer, cover and cook in the preheated oven for about 2 hours or until the meat comes away from the bone.

Serve over pureed cauliflower with butter - DIVINE! If you have any sauce left over, keep it, reheat and use later over something else.
    • I wish I could take credit for the lamb shanks recipe but that one belongs to Gabriel Gate.

I have a copy of his book "Good Food For Men" (can you believe my partner's mother gave me that as a present????) and the recipes in it are really very good. Quite simple and so many of them are low carb or can easily be made low carb. No arty-farty ingredients, serving sizes are substantial, plenty of vegies used and the ingredients are usually stuff you commonly have in the pantry anyway.

I highly recommend it.:D