Flavourings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Flavourings

I've eventually found my dream recipe (ie sugar free marshmellows)...but they want marshmallow flavouring. Then I found a yummy citrus cake, which needs orange flavouring. So I went shopping and I am having no luck finding someone who sells essences or flavorings in Perth or through the internet.
      Can somebody help me out here...where would I find them?? I am craving marshmallows!!!!!!!

Brigitte
    • SF Marshmallows

I think I've found a local company that sells to cake shops that will sell to me...just a bit worried about the SIZES they stock. A litre of mashmallow flavouring will probably be still around long after I am gone!!! LOL

As for the SF marshmallows, here is the link...

lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-desserts.html

I haven't made them yet so I can't tell you how great or not so great the recipe is.

Brigitte
    • The muffins I made with the banana flavour were very nice, but I am bit worried about the sweetener. I never gave it a thought before, but now I am wondering if it is sweetened with anything...I have tried to contact the makers with no luck...
      It is packed by Roberts confectionary, 58 westminster st Oakleigh..the phone number is 9569 6638..There was no area code .Telstra were no help at all...Is the address familiar to anyone??
    • The Re Stores in Northbridge and Leederville sell lots of different flavoured essences. I have several including banana, coconut, liquorice and anice. I’ve only used the banana once but now I use the DaVinci syrups because I know they’re carb free.

The brand name is ‘Aroma’ and they are produced and bottled by ISAIA Foods in Victoria Park. They (the Re Store) also sell another brand of essences which are labeled in a foreign language so I don’t know what half of them are.

The ingredients as listed on the label of the banana essence are: alcohol, water, flavour and colour (102). There are no nutritional values so I don’t know what the carb count is.

BTW I also buy all my tinned tomatoes, almond meal and unsweetened chocolate from the Re Store as well.
    • I have just got off the phone to Roberts confectionary, and the fellow helping me said some of their flavpours were sweetened with castor sugar and some weren't..He is going to send me a list, but asured me that the banana flavour had no sugars in it...I won't use the butter scotch one until I recieve the list...
    • Re: Flavourings

I know this is an old thread but just found this marshmallow recipe with no unusual ingredients

genaw.com/lowcarb/handmade_marshmallows.html

HANDMADE MARSHMALLOWS
      3 packets unflavored gelatin
      1 cup cold water, divided
      2 teaspoons vanilla
      1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (see my comments below)
      3 egg whites

Put 1/4 cup cold water in a shallow soup bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the surface of the water and let stand 5 minutes to soften. Bring the remaining 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small pot. Turn off the stove and add the gelatin; whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Whisk in the vanilla and Splenda. Chill until the gelatin mixture is like thin syrup, about 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

When the gelatin is ready, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until they form soft peaks. Slowly drizzle in the gelatin in a thin stream while beating. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy but not dry. Pour into a shallow pan, 6x8" or 8x8". I lined my pan with nonstick foil just to be sure that they would come out later. Chill until set, at least 2-3 hours. Cut into 12 pieces and store in the refrigerator. They will keep for a few days.

Makes 12 servings

With granular Splenda:
      Per Serving: 14 Calories; 0g Fat; 2g Protein; .5g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
      Per Serving: 12 Calories; 0g Fat; 2g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; trace net Carbs

better add the cooks notes re the marshmallows:

I got this recipe from the "Low-Carb Cookworx Cookbook". The texture of these is really more like fluffy "Jell-O Jigglers" rather than real marshmallows, but they make an interesting snack with very few carbs. Although these are fine for snacking, don't attempt to melt or toast them like real marshmallows. They just turn back to liquid when heated. I think they need a lot more sweetener so I would double it next time. If I do make them again, I might try using part French vanilla Da Vinci syrup in place of some of the water for a bit more flavor and sweetness. If you're using liquid Splenda, doubling it won't affect the carb count, but if you must use granular Splenda, here are the adjusted counts:

Per Serving: 16 Calories; 0g Fat; 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

Moonie wrote:

I have just got off the phone to Roberts confectionary, and the fellow helping me said some of their flavpours were sweetened with castor sugar and some weren't..He is going to send me a list, but asured me that the banana flavour had no sugars in it...I won't use the butter scotch one until I recieve the list...

hey moonie, was just wondering if that butterscotch had sugar init, i might have to ring em my self, just discovered that spotlight sell essences my self, and was so excited, i have apricot, butterscotch, pineapple, banana ring anybells, sorry i know this is an old thread,