Leek recipe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• not the one i was thinking of, i think it's at home. i'll keep looking. this one is cream of leek soup

2 cup chicken stock
      1 cup finely cut leeks
      ½ medium sized onion, minced or grated
      1/4 cup chopped parsley
      salt and pepper
      1 cup cream
      2 egg yolks

Simmer leeks in the stock. While it is cooking add onion, and chopped parsley. (You may saute the onion gently in butter and then add it to the stock if you like). When the leek is tender, pour mixture into a blender or food processor and puree. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.

Put the mixture in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling water. Beat 2 egg yolks until light and then beat the cream into the yolks. Slowly add the cream to the soup in the top of the double boiler and stir it with a wooden spoon until thick. It is done when the mixture coats the spoon with a slight film. DO NOT let the mixture boil and do not over cook.

I don't use a double boiler, I just whack it over a low heat.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Thankyou Sam :)
      As soon as you mentioned soup I thought crap I could add that to cauliflower soup with a bit of bacon and cheese, would be good.

Silly me almost picked up a cauliflower today too. I don't buy them untill I am ready to use them as they don't keep well.

As Homer Simpson would say... DOH!
    • Bacon, Cauliflower and Cumin Soup

abc.net.au/gippsland/stories/s368508.htm

Degree of difficulty: Medium

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 1 hour

You need:

2 cauliflowers (roughly diced)
      1 leek, white part only (roughly diced)
      5 bacon rashers (roughly diced)
      1 litre chicken stock
      1/2 tbsp cumin
      1/2 tbsp curry powder
      30ml extra-virgin olive oil
      salt & pepper

Method:

Sweat leek, bacon and cauliflower with cumin and curry powder in oil for 5-10 mins. Add chicken stock and simmer until cauliflower is soft. Puree and adjust seasoning to taste.

Serving Suggestion: Finish serving soup with a sprinkling of finely chopped parsley. As an option, you can add a dollop of creme fraiche.
    • Re: Bacon, Cauliflower and Cumin Soup

Sherrie wrote:

abc.net.au/gippsland/stories/s368508.htm

Degree of difficulty: Medium

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 1 hour

You need:

2 cauliflowers (roughly diced)
      1 leek, white part only (roughly diced)
      5 bacon rashers (roughly diced)
      1 litre chicken stock
      1/2 tbsp cumin
      1/2 tbsp curry powder
      30ml extra-virgin olive oil
      salt & pepper

Method:

Sweat leek, bacon and cauliflower with cumin and curry powder in oil for 5-10 mins. Add chicken stock and simmer until cauliflower is soft. Puree and adjust seasoning to taste.

Serving Suggestion: Finish serving soup with a sprinkling of finely chopped parsley. As an option, you can add a dollop of creme fraiche.

Thanks for this recipe. It inspired me to make soup today. I put in half a cup of potato mash and a tiny bit of carrot and about a cup of celeriac mash - all leftover from a family dinner, so I added them at the end after boiling 2 bags of frozen cauli (yes I agree it doesn't keep well, so I buy frozen) in the stock. The chicken stock was from a chicken I roasted the other day and I always leave the fat in for flavour and I also included some bacon fat/juices from bacon. The spices I put in were:
      1tbsp of cumin
      1/2 tbsp mustard
      shake of white and black pepper
      1/2 tbsp celery salt

I blended it with a stick blender, added water to the consistencey I wanted (thickish but not too thick) and now I have a huge panful of aromatic spicy smooth soup. Super. LOL
    • Re: Leek recipe

Here is an AMAZING Jamie Oliver recipe with leeks.

Slow-Cooked Leek Soldiers with Bacon

12 leeks
      olive oil
      4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
      Small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked
      Butter
      Wineglass of white wine
      1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
      8 slices of bacon
      Procedure
      1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Ideally you want to use a 10-inch buttered ovenproof dish that's about 1 1/2 inches high. Trim the ends of the leeks and discard the outer two or three layers. Cut off the dark-green tops, leaving the remaining pale-green and white sections in 2-inch pieces. Wash and finely slice the dark-green parts; place them in a frying pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and the garlic, thyme, and butter. Cook about 10 minutes, until softened, and spread them out in the bottom of prepared dish.
      2. Stand remaining pieces of leek upright next to each other in the dish. Pack them in tightly so the flavors from underneath, and from the bacon that goes on top, will cook subtly and evenly through the leeks.
      3. Add the wine and stock; lay the bacon over the top. Take a big strip of waxed paper, wet it under the faucet, and scrunch it up. Fit this snugly over and around the leeks and bacon; cover with a layer of aluminum foil.
      4. Place dish in oven for about an hour. Leeks should be nice and tender by this point, but if not, give them a little longer (cooking time depends on size and age of leeks). Once tender and soft, remove foil and waxed paper; put dish back in oven for 20 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and golden. Remove bacon, chop it finely. Taste the juice in the dish for seasoning; adjust as needed. Serve leeks sprinkled with the crisp bacon.

I have the book at home but got this from seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/0…-bacon.html#ixzz0mUbVqi6z
    • Re: Leek recipe

Made this today - flavour yum but did anyone manage to get it smooth?
      Mine was a thick, almost gritty texture, inbetween notatoes and soup..
      Still eating it - might have it as a side for tea and have froze some

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w3yRik0/weight.png]

If your still looking for that one person to change your life, take a look in the mirror...