Low Carb Sauces, Dressings, Gravies, Marinades and Seasonings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• For thickening I mix 1/2 guar gum and 1/2 xanthan gum in a parmasan cheese shaker, sprinkle it in a little at a time, allowing about 15 seconds for thickening to occur. You have to mix it in well and be fairly experimental with the amounts but in the right quantities this is a perfect thickener replacement for anything from flour to cornflour in sauces, stocks and gravies.
      As far as gravies go - I don't usually do them, but I would think they are fairly simple depending on what you like. For example, you could do a mushroom chasseur style gravy by using a tsp of bonox, some thinly sliced mushrooms, a little cream, and then salt/pepper to taste. Boil until mushrooms are good and soft and all looks soup like then add your thickened to make it like a gravy.
      A similar thing might be done for a butter sauce - melt your butter, add a little cream if you want, chuck in herbs & spices of preference and then use the thickener again to make it into a gravy.

One of the things I love about LowCarb is the way my imagination really gets to run wild in recipe modifications.

Good luck.
    • one of my absolute faves is the following, it goes well with veal, steak or chicken:

1 garlic clove crushed
      1/4 onion minced
      1-2 rashers bacon chopped

fry them in a little butter then add some sliced mushies and a little more butter if need be. once they are cooked as you like them (i don't cook them for long) add in enough cream to make your sauce and parmesan cheese. mix well add pepper and serve hot over your meat.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Cucumber Dipping Sauce

Originally posted by raybeanberry
      Cucumber Dipping Sauce

80ml water
      60ml white vinegar
      60g sugar (approx. 3 1/2 tablespoons splenda)
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 cucumber
      1 shallot (thinly sliced)
      1 small red chilli (deseeded and sliced)
      ½ tablespoon fish sauce
      4 chopped stalks coriander
      2 tablespoons finely diced carrots (could probably do without this)

1. In a saucepan bring to the boil the water, white vinegar, splenda and salt. Once boiled remove from heat and cool.

2. Peel and slice the cucumber in half length-wise, then slice thinly. Place in a bowl, add the shallot, chilli, fish sauce, coriander and carrots.

3. Add the cooled vinegar mix to the cucumber mix, and serve with fish cakes.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sweet Chilli Sauce

Originally posted by Sherrie
      Okay here's some I found, you will need to make them LC:

[b] Sweet Chilli 1:

1/2 cup water
      1/4 cup white vinegar
      1 tsp hoisin sauce
      1 sm red chilli, chopped
      Sweetner to taste

Combine in pan and stir over heat until sugar (sweetener) has dissolved, bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins or untill thickened slightly.

2:

6 fresh large red chillies trimmed
      1 tbl chopped frsh red chilli
      1/4 cup white vinegar
      Sweetener to taste
      1 tsp salt
      4 garlic cloves chopped

2 tsp fish sauce

Removes seeds for milder flavour and soak for 15mins in hot water. Process with all ingrediants except fish sauce untill smooth.
      Then cook for 15 mins over med heat untill thickened. Allow to cool and then add fish sauce.

3:

500g sm fresh red chilli
      125g ginger peeled and chopped
      6 cloves of garlic chopped
      2 tsp grated lemon rind
      1 cup white vinegar
      Sweetener to taste

Using gloves, disgard chilli stalks, wash chillies and quarter. (do not remove anything else)
      Process all ingrediants untill it reaches consitency of thick sauce. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Makes 750ml

2 sm red chillies finely chopped
      2 crushed cloves of garlic
      sweetener to taste
      1 tbl soy sauce
      1 tbl vinegar
      1/2 cup boiling water

Combine all ingrediants and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer untill thickens slightly. [/B]
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Aioli (Garlic mayonnaise)

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=561

Originally posted by fiona
      This stuff is absolutely delicious with chicken, fish or lamb.

I have absolutely no idea what the PFC stats are, but it must be pretty low carb, and high protein, given the ingredients.

This makes two medium sized jars full.

Ingredients:
      6 fresh cloves of garlic
      2 pinches of sea salt
      25ml lemon juice
      25ml white wine vinegar
      3 pinches of white pepper
      2 egg yolks
      250ml extra virgin olive oil
      250ml canola oil

Crush the garlic with the salt in a mortar and pestle to release the aroma and flavour the salt.

Blend the garlic and salt in a food processor with the lemon juice, vinegar, pepper and egg yolks until well incorporated.

With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the combined oils in a thin, steady stream until incorporated and the mayonnaise has become thick. It has to be slow and steady or the mayonnaise will split.

Store in sealed jars in the fridge.

Use liberally and enjoy! :p

• Mushroom sauces

Originally posted by trucie
      The best way I have found to bring out the flavour of mushrooms in slice them up, pop them on a baking tray and into the oven at 180oC until it nearly dries out. Mushrooms contain alot of water and when added to stock to reduce it makes it a little more bland, since we don't want to add starch to thicken up the sauce it's better to start with less liquid and more intense ingredients.

My basic mushroom sauce is:
      in a saucepan, add a cube of butter to sweat the diced shallots, add 1cup of stock, dash of white wine and 1 bay leave and reduce. Once reduced, strain. In the new stock, add dried mushrooms, reduce a little more, and just before the sauce is done, add a dash of cream and freshly chopped herbs.

• Creamy sauces

Originally posted by Hayley
      PP, got these off the LowCarbFriends site, I guess you could always add a litte sauteed garlic to them. I havent tried them so cant give you any recommendations, sorry

[b]Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients:
      Cream
      Parmasan cheese (romano might work)
      Butter
      Seasonings: garlic -- salt, pepper

How to Prepare:

I never measure, I just kinda guess at the amounts.

It is basically:
      2 parts cream
      1 part butter (maybe a little more)
      1 or 1 and a half parts cheese.

Melt butter in pan, (low heat,dont burn the butter). Add cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the cheese. Stir and blend till heated.

Also

Cream Sauce -- 15g total carbs

Ingredients:
      2 Cups Heavy Cream
      White Cooking Wine
      1 Shallot --- I guess you could substitute garlic here
      1 tablespoon Butter -- (1 to 2)

How to Prepare:

Dice up shallot (I use a food processor). Melt butter in saucepan and add shallot. Cook until shallot is a golden brown color. Pour enough cooking wine over the shallots so it covers them. Turn down heat and let reduce until it becomes kind of syrupy looking. Then add 2 Cups Heavy Cream. Let simmer for about 10-15 mins so the cream will get the shallot taste. You can either use a colander to remove the shallots or leave them in. You can also use a garlic clove in place of the shallot. This is a wonderful cream sauce to put over seafood or chicken!

NOTES : Counts for cooking wine not included in totals [/B]

• Cream sauce with garlic

Originally posted by purplepixie
      Righty oh, I got it.
      Made some variations to the cream sauce and this is what I came up with.

160ml white wine
      5 tbsp cream
      1 egg yolk
      90gm cheddar cheese
      1tsp marg
      1tbsp minced garlic
      salt and pepper

mixed all ing's togethor except for cheese(grate) and marg.
      Cooked chicken breasts in griddle pan, cut into small strips.
      Changed over to non stick fry pan, threw all ing. for sauce in and stirred till blended then added chicken strips and heated through.

I had this on a bed of gourmet lettuce but would have been yummy with broccolli or cauli mixed through.

Calories 951.
      carb. 9.0
      fat. 36.2
      protien. 25.8 This is not including the chicken breasts.
      Makes enough sauce for 4 people.;)

• Atkins Cheese Sauce

Originally posted by Rossana
      Great for having with scrambled eggs, or meat, poultry or vegetable dishes

Ingredients:
      3/4 cup cream
      1/3 cup water
      1.5 cups of grated cheddar cheese
      1 tspn mustard
      Salt to taste
      1/2 tspn paprika if desired

Method:
      Combine all ingredients in a double boiler saucepan on a medium to low heat to reach a gentle simmer - stir constantly until smooth.

• I'm assuming this recipe would come from this site: carb-lite.au.com/

Originally posted by Kim-Louise
      Recipe By :The AUSSIE LC GOURMET
      Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:20

2 cups water
      1/2 cup tomato paste
      1/2 cup vinegar
      1 tablespoon molasses
      1 teaspoon liquid Barbecue Smoke®
      1 tsp salt & freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
      1/4 teaspoon onion powder
      1 pinch paprika
      1 pinch garlic powder

Combine and whisk all ingredients in small saucepan. Bring mixture to boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes until nice and thick. Cool and store in covered container in fridge.

Per serving: 23 Calories 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate

• Pepper Sauce

Originally posted by Delia

The best pepper sauce

To the pan scrapings (I drain off the fat but is up to you)
      Add ½ cup stock
      ½ cup wine
      Mix well to get the flavors
      Add about 20 peppercorns
      And sprinkle of Guar gum or Xanthum gum to thicken
      Add ½ cup of cream
      Serve over steak or roasts

• Low carb gravy for roasts

Originally posted by missmoo

This is out of the Power of Protein book by Chris Smith.

Ingredients:
      Pan juices from roast
      1 tablespoon tomato paste
      Dash lemon juice
      1 cup cream
      1 teaspoon soya sauce
      1/2 teaspoon vegemite
      1 teaspoon chopped parsley

Method:
      combine all ingredients with pan juices and heat gently, stirring constantly until mixture boils.

Serves 6 @ 2.5g carbs per serve.

I am having lamb roast for dinner tonight and will let you know how it goes.

• LC Tomato Sauce

Delia’s Tomato Sauce

30g onion 1.5
      1 teaspoon olive oil 0
      200g Tomato 4
      2 teaspoons Wine Vinegar 0
      3 splenda tablets 3
      ½ tsp garlic 1.1
      ½ teaspoon Ginger .3
      Fresh herbs about 2 teaspoons total
      Garlic chives
      Oregano
      Parsley neg. count
      20g Tomato Paste 2.1

I sauté the onion in the olive oil then added the chopped tomato and simmer for about 20 mins on very low heat .
      Add remainder of the ingredients and puree in the blender.
      Put back in saucepan and cook slowly for about 10 mins be careful only have the stove on warm as you don’t want to burn the sauce. It should be quite thick if now just let it cook a little longer if by chance you get it to thick you can add a bit of water to it.
      12carbs for total makes just over ½ cup of thick sauce.

• Some Like it Hot !!!

Originally posted by Gizmo

Chilli Sauce/Paste recipe...

it can be as hot or as mild as you like - it all depends on the chillies you wish to use...

5 X Medium Roma Tomatoes
      1 Large Onion - or 2 small/medium ones
      3 Cloves Garlic
      2 teaspoons Coriander
      2 tablespoons salt (rock salt is good too !!)
      3 tablespoons Olive Oil
      100g Chillies if you like it hot - Serrano
      if you like it not hot - yellow cayenne
      if you have a death wish - jalapeno or worse !! :D
      1 cup water

OK - chop up the onion, garlic and chillies into bits (doesnt have to be too small - you'll see why later), and mix with olive oil in saucer. Cook and stir frequently for about 5 mins.

Then add in the roma tomatoes (sliced is fine) and 1 cup water, the coriander and salt

Chuck it on high heat for about 15-20 mins, stirring regulary.

Once done, put in a blender, and give it the treatment on high for about 2 mins.

Thats it - you can vary the thickness also of the sauce/paste by adding more/less water. Dont go more than a cup and a half of water though, as it might get too thin...

This sauce will keep in the fridge for about 4 weeks..

As a REALLY REALLY good sauce - after you have made this, you can use a measure of the sauce mixed with some sour cream for a mexican mince sauce that is to die for !!

I invnented this one myself, and i havent actually counted the carbs - however, from the ingredients its pretty low. Ive had this sauce on most of my dinners while in induction for about 6 months now, and it hasnt troubled me at all..

Bon Appetit..

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1182

• Red Wine Butter

I used this over smoked salmon and then today with sausages. It would be nice with chicken meat fish just about anything.

Red Wine Butter

100ml red wine vinegar
      250ml red wine
      1 bay leaf
      1 sprig of thyme
      20g chopped eschalots
      5 white peppercorns
      50ml cream
      40g cold butter (unsalted)
      Place the eschalots, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, red wine, vinegar and red wine in a pan and reduce until it becomes a glaze.
      Add cream and reduce by a third, cool a little, and whish in butter and season.

• Easy Mayonnaise

Originally posted by raybeanberry

Easy Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks
      pinch of salt
      1 tablespoon French mustard
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      freshly ground black pepper
      1 cup olive oil

1. Place the egg yolks, salt, French mustard, lemon juice and pepper into the blender and whiz for a few seconds until everything is combined well.

2. With the motor still running, slowly add about one-third of the oil to the processor bowl. Then when this has combined add the remainder of the oil in a steady stream and keep on processing until the mixture thickens.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/s…threadid=827&pagenumber=1

• TONYS LOW CARB MAYONNAISE

Originally posted by lcgourmet

This recipe will produce a multi purpose mayonnaise that can be used on most foods.

The addition of different herbs and spices can produce a wide variety of flavours to suit your own tastes.

I use Bertoli's light olive oil but any quality oil can be used.

* Exported from MasterCook *

TONYS LOW CARB MAYONNAISE

Recipe By : Tony Blakemore from an idea by "TANIAB46'
      Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:10
      Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Sauces Dressings All Purpose

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
      -------- ------------ --------------------------------
      2 egg yolks
      1 egg white
      1 tsp minced garlic

1/4 tsp salt
      1 tsp splenda
      1 tsp dijon mustard
      1 1/2 cups oil
      1 tbsp vinegar

In a morta and pestle grind the garlic, mustard, splenda and salt until smooth. There will still be some small bits of garlic in the mix.
      Either by hand or machine whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in the egg whites
      Add the garlic mix and whisk until smooth. Only a few seconds.
      Gradually ad the oil in a very slow drizzle, increasing the rate as the oil is absorbed.
      Add the vinegar and whisk until just absorbed.
      Adjust the thickness by adding some more egg white or vinegar. Don't add to much at a time as the mix will thicken a few seconds after you add the liquids.
      Voilla. A very mild Aioli type of Mayonnaise.
      Refrigerate in a sealable container. The flavours will take about 48 hours to blend through the mix.

If it lasts that long it will keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.

For a Miracle Whip type of mayonnaise you can add about a quarter cup of cream and add more sweetener to taste.

Carbs .5g per serving

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The AUSSIE Low Carb Gourmet Tony Blakemore 2002
      e-mail Tony@carb-lite.au.com
      web site carb-lite.au.com
      Over 2,500 Low Carb, LC Diabetic, LC Kosher Recipes

• Originally posted by sambalam

thanks trucie, i will look out for it. i really love tzatziki as a snack so this would be perfect.

Sambal

10 chillies
      1 onion
      1 clove garlic
      1 tomato
      1 small slice belacan (concentrated prawn paste you buy at Asian food stores)
      1 tsp sugar
      pinch of salt

Method:
      Finely chop the chillies, onion, garlic and tomato.

Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes.

Before you add the remaining ingredients to the pan blend the tomatoes, chillis and belacan. Add them to your onion and garlic mixture and gently fry until the mixture starts to thicken. You might like to add a few tablespoons of water to make the whole thing a bit more of a saucy consistency.

if you like it less hot, reduce number of chilies

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1992