chokos (common apple subsitute)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• chokos (common apple subsitute)

tracey and i were discussing chokos in sweetgirl's diary. i was trawling through a US site for recipes when i came across a lot of references to chayote which is reputedly similiar to apple/potato in texture. what is this stuff i wondered? chokos is what. hmm so i have some on my vine still, i will have to have a go at these things i think.

here's just one recipe i found:

Scalloped Choko with Cheese

Butter
      3 medium choko, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
      1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (about 4 ounces)
      1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
      4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
      1 cup heavy cream
      Salt and freshly ground black pepper
      Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease a baking dish with some of the butter and lay 1/3 of the chayote in the bottom of the dish.

Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese and parsley. Repeat twice.

Drizzle the heavy cream over the chayote and place several dabs of butter over the top.

Bake for 80 to 90 minutes until a knife placed through chayote in center area of pan shows it's tender and cheese is nicely browned.

hmmmm yum!
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Mock Apple Strudel

Found this one on my pc, don't know whom they belong to, if anyone knows let me know so I can credit them.

Mock Apple Strudel

Serves 6 generously
      2 batches Mock Fried Apples (recipe below)
      1 cup ground macadamia nuts (Other nuts may be used, but grind more coarsely
      than flour, to crumb texture)
      1/2 cup Wheat Protein Isolate
      1 teaspoon cinnamon
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 cup butter, cold
      1 teaspoon Zero Carb Syrup

Preheat oven to 400. Place Mock Fried Apples in ovenproof casserole dish.
      Place nuts, wheat protein isolate, cinnamon and salt in a bowl
      and toss to mix thoroughly. Cut in butter very finely, until mixture
      resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sweetener. Sprinkle streusel mixture
      evenly over "apples" in casserole.
      Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes, until streusel browns slightly and mixture
      is bubbly at edges. Serve hot!

Mock Apples

2 chokos fruits
      1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
      3 packets Splenda
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 cup butter
      2 teaspoons xanthan -- optional

Method:
      Wash chokos thoroughly. Quarter lengthwise, removing seeds. Cut quarters
      crosswise into thin slices. (SEE NOTE) Place slices in a bowl or ziploc bag.

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, Splenda, cinnamon and salt. Add to chokos
      slices and toss or shake to coat thoroughly. Let marinate at least 1 hour.

Melt butter in a hot skillet. When butter is sizzling, add chokos and any juice
      and cook until chocos are hot, but still crunchy -- cook until more tender if
      desired. If desired, thicken pan juices with Xanthan gum to create a thick,
      yummy glaze.

Additional Comments:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 167 Calories; 16g Fat (81.2% calories
      from fat); 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol;
      870mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat.

NOTES : When cutting up chokos, either wear plastic gloves or wash your hands
      with hot soapy water IMMEDIATELY afterward. The chokos juice contains a sort of
      starch that will form an annoying tight film on your fingertips that lasts and
      lasts, and once it dries it's horribly hard to scrub off.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.