cooking with Donna Hay

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• cooking with Donna Hay

In the Sunday Times Magazine this week, there were three recipes by Donna Hay..Cooking in a pan..all look pretty good...

Spinach and fetta puffy omelette..

30g butter
      150g baby spinach leaves
      2 tspns grated lemon rind
      1 green onion sliced
      7 eggs seperated
      1/2cup grated cheddar cheese
      2 tblspns shredded basil leaves
      100g fetta cheese, crumbled..

preheat oven to 220..Melt half butter in a large ovenproof non stick frypan over medium heat. Add spinach,garlic,lemon and green onion..cokk for 2minutes or until the spinach is wiltered.
      Place the spinach mixture in a bowl and set aside..
      Wisk the egg whites to a firm peak..Stir the egg yolks, cheese and basil through the spinach mixture..Addthe beaten egg white and gently fold through the spinach until it is all combimned..Add the remaining butter to the frying pan and melt over high heat..
      Add the souffle mixture, top with the fetta, cook for 2 minutes..
      Place the frying pan in the oven and cook for 8-10minutes or until puffed and golden..serves 2...

Breakfast in a pan..

2 rashes of bacon
      5 cherry tomatoes
      3 mushrooms halved
      1 tspn oil
      2 eggs
      sea salt and crackedpepper
      1 tsp flat-leaf parsley leaves.

Preheat a small non stick frying pan over high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes.. Add the tomatoes , mushrooms, and oil gently cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Lightly beat the eggs, salt, pepper and pour into the pan around the bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms.
      Sprinkle with parsley and cook for 3 minutes or until eggs are set..Serves 1

Sausage and onion frittata
      1 tspn oil
      2 thick 100% beef sausages
      1 red onion, cut into wedges
      1 tsp oregano leaves
      4 eggs
      1 1/2 tspns djorn mustard
      sea salt and cracked pepper
      baby rocket, to serve..

Preheat a small frying pan over high heat.. Add the oil and sausages and cook for 5 minutes..
      Add the onion and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden and the sausages are cooked through.. Remove the sausages and cool slightly and slice.. Return to the pan with onions and sprinkle with oregano leaves. Lightly beat the eggs, mustard, salt and pepper and pour over the sausage and onion..Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 10minutes or until set..Top with rocket to serve.. serves 2
    • Low Carb Recipes in Donna Hay Magazine

I bought the oct/nov issue the other day and found some cool recipe ideas that could easily be converted to low carb if not already which I thought I'd share...

For the yanks keep in mind, Aussie cup and tablespoon measures are different to American, see here for measurement conversions: Measurements and Conversions
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Crunchy Parmesan Chicken Salad

Crunchy Parmesan Chicken Salad

4 x chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced
      2 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
      1/4 cup (2.5 fl oz) olive oil
      3 egg whites beaten lightly
      2 TBS lemon juice
      200g (7oz) baby spinach leaves
      1 lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly
      1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
      240g punnet yellow tear drop (cherry?) tomatoes cut in half
      2 green onions, sliced thinly (scallions)
      Sea salt and black pepper

Preheat oven/grill to 200C

Dip chicken in eggwhites then parmesan. Bake on baking trays under a pre-heated hot grill for 5-8 minutes until

golden and crunchy.

Toss, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes and green onions to combine, set aside.

In another bowl whisk the basil, lemon juice, oil and seasonings, set aside.

Serve salad on individual plated with chicken on top and then drizzled with oil.

Easy Peasy and the picture of this recipe looks really yummy.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Lemon Pork

2 x 300g (10.5oz) pork fillets, halved
      8 slices of pancetta
      4 sprigs of lemon thyme
      4 cloves of garlic
      250g punnet of truss cherry tomatoes
      1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
      Olive oil for brushing
      Kitchen string

Preheat oven to 200C (390F).

Rub pork with salt and pepper, brush with oil, top with pancetta and thyrme and secure with kitchen string.

Add oil to pan and toss tomatoes and garlic, add pork and roast for 20mins or until cooked through.

• Ricotta, Pancetta and Pumpkin Bake

Ricotta, Pancetta and Pumpkin Bake

700g fresh ricotta
      5 eggs
      12 slices pancetta
      250g thawed frozen spinach, drained
      450g butternut pumpkin, peeled and sliced thinly (butternut squash)
      1/2 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
      1/2 cup parmesan cheese
      sea salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 160C (320F).

Lightly grease an 8 cup baking dish.

Combine ricotta, eggs and parmesan. Stir in basil, spinach, salt and pepper.

Layer baking dish with half of the pumpkin then top with half of the pancetta then half of the ricotta mixture and repeat.

Bake for 50mins until set and golden.

• Lemon and Zucchini Puffs

Lemon and Zucchini Puffs

The original recipe uses self raising flour but I am wondering if we could replace that with almond flour and a teensy bit of baking powder. They look really yum

3 large zucchinis, shaved into ribbons (courgettes)
      3 eggs
      1/4 cup fresh mint leaves sliced thinly
      1/4 cup almond flour with maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of baking powder?
      Oil for shallow frying
      Sea salt and cracked pepper

Lemon Aoili
      1/2 cup whole egg mayonaise
      2 tsp lemon juice
      1 garlic clove, crushed

Whisk mayo, lemon and garlic and set aside.

Combine zucchini, flour, eggs, mint and seasoning. Heat 1 cm oil (1/3 inch) in a large non stick frying pan. Add 2 tablespoonfuls and fry in batches until puffed and golden.

• Crunchy Fennel Salad

Crunchy Fennel Salad

Fennel bulb (670g or 1.5 lb)
      100g (3.5oz) mixed salad leaves
      1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
      1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
      2 tsp dijon mustard
      2 TBL water

Trim and finely chop the fronds from the fennel, set aside. Thinly slice the fennel bulb and combine with salad leaves. Combine mustard, mayonnaise and water, add fronds then pour over fennel salad and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.

• Coconut and Basil Chicken

Coconut and Basil Chicken

2 x chicken breasts
      150g snow peas
      1 stick of lemongrass, chopped
      1 cup thai basil leaves
      1 long green chilli, seeded and sliced thinly
      2 kaffir lime leaves
      400g can coconut cream
      15g ginger, sliced
      2 cloves of garlic
      1 TBS fish sauce
      1/3 cup fish stock
      coconut oil, melted

Rub chicken with salt and pepper and pan fry with coconut oil until cooked through. Remove from pan, shred and keep warm.

Add more oil, garlic, ginger and lemongrass to pan and cook for a couple of minutes, add fish sauce and then stir in stock and coconut cream and cook until starts to thicken (around 5 mins). Add snow peas and cook until just cooked.

Divide chicken between bowls and spoon over coconut sauce and sprinkle basil leaves, lime leaves and chilli.

• Parmesan Baked Ricotta Wrapped in Pancetta

Parmesan Baked Ricotta Wrapped in Pancetta

8 slices pancetta
      500g ricotta cheese
      1 egg
      1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
      baby spinach leaves

lemon dressong
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 180C

Line 8 1/2 cup capacity muffin tins with pancetta. combine ricotta, egg, parmesan and seasonings then spoon into muffin tins.

Flatten tops with back of spoon and bake for 25-30mins or until set and golden.

Combine lemon juice, oil and seasonings.

Remove baked ricotta from muffin tins, place on plates with baby spinach and drizzel with lemon dressing.

• Peppered Baked Ricotta

Peppered Baked Ricotta

1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
      1/3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
      1 clove of garlic, crushed
      1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
      sea salt

Preheat oven to 180C

Combine ricotta, parmesan, garlic and seasonings. Press mixture into 2 3/4 cup greased ramekins. Bake for 20-25mins or until golden.

• Donna Hay Magazine Feb/March 2008

I bought this months Donna Hay Magazine yesterday whilst grocery shopping and I swear almost all the recipes are low carb and they look really good. There is heaps and heaps of ideas, there's a section called fast 100 where they have recipes for 100 quick recipes and guess what? Most of them are low carb!!! No excuses now!!!

I will look for some that stand out to me and share but I highly recommend grabbing a copy!

• Garlic Chicken

This one looks simple yet yum:

Garlic Chicken

200g chicken
      1 lemon
      3 garlic cloves, crushed
      Handful of freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
      Freshly ground sea salt
      Fat/oil for frying (e.g. butter/ghee, olive oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil)

Fry up chicken in hot pan until cooked through then add garlic salt, parsley and a squeeze of lemon.

Viola thats it!

Serve with salad, veggies, oopsie rolls LOL whatever you wish :)

• Another simple one:

Pork Larb

400g minced pork
      lettuce, leaves separated to use as cups
      1 green chilli, chopped
      1 TBL lime juice
      1 tsp fish sauce
      fat/oil for frying
      Fresh coriander, Thai basil and mint leaves

Fry up pork, add lime, fish sauce and chilli. Toss with herbs and serve in lettuce cups

• Veal and Fennel

Veal and Fennel

Veal cutlets
      1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
      1 tablespoon sea salt, crushed
      olive oil for brushing

Green salad leaves
      Fennel sliced thinly
      Olive oil
      Lemon

Brush veal with olive oil. Combine crushed salt and fennel seeds and rub over cutlets. Char grill or Fry in hot pan for 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked as desired. Serve with green salad:

Combine salad leaves and fennel and dress with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.

• Prawn and Avocado Salad

Prawn and Avocado Salad

12 Prawns, peeled and cooked
      Avocado, sliced
      Romaine lettuce leaves
      Whole egg mayo
      lime juice

Toss the prawns with avocado slices and lettuce leaves. Combine mayo and lime, spoon over salad and serve!

• Spinach and Mozzarella Veal

This looks good:

Spinach and Mozzarella Veal

thin veal steaks
      mozzarella slices
      baby spinach leaves
      Olive oil
      Freshly crushed sea salt and black pepper

Place a mozzarella slice and some baby spinach on steak and fold over, Season with salt nd pepper then fry in hot pan with olive oil for 1-2 minutes each side.

• Egg and Spinach Pie

Egg and Spinach Pie

6 eggs
      125 ml cream
      100g or so of thawed and drained frozen spinach
      100g of crumbled feta
      freshly crushed sea salt and black pepper

Whisk eggs and cream together, combine with remaining ingredients pour into frying pan and grill until golden and set

• Re: Donna Hay Magazine Feb/March 2008

There's heaps more recipes, I will add some more but as I said there's HEAPS so I will just be touching the surface!