Looking for crock pot ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Looking for crock pot ideas

Okie, after reading a few crock pot recepies in the diary section, and with this freezing weather I went and bought a nice big crock pot..now, I thought there was a recepie thread here but I can't find one on slow cooking ideas
      Can anyone help me please, I can vaguely remember a lamb one Sam talked about once:(
    • GJ uses the pataks curry paste, that one is in his diary, I think they are all over the place as I asked too. Possible in SHerrie's diary or Sams.
      I too have got the crock pot out but have ben making the kids meals with it so far. As GJ said curries are great in it as they cook nice and slow all day.:D
    • Ok, I have found the pamphlet recipe book that I got with my crock pot, years ago.
      I have scanned the meals in it and will try and post now only thing is I may have to post individually, here goes anyway.
      Oh you will have to adjust some of the recipe to be l/carb too.:p

*edited by sherrie* Deleted pictures as they were corrupt.
    • You should find something you like here..
      Lowcarb Crockpot Recipes - Crockpot recipes sutiable for low carbohydrate diets
      there is a group on yahoo called the lowcarb crockpot or something like that..
      [removed link as the group no longer exists]

I use mine mainly for soup:)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: Broken link ().

• I plan to convert a goulash or paprika recipe in it within the next few days. Also found this on my hard drive:

Crockpot Chicken Paprika -- Low Carb

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
      4 medium zucchini, sliced
      1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
      1 cup water
      3 tablespoons oil
      2 tablespoons paprika
      1 teaspoon salt

1. Place 4 chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot.
      2. Sprinkle with half of the paprika.
      3. Then, cover with a layer of zucchini and onions.
      4. Add the oil, then sprinkle generously with the rest of the paprika.
      5. Pour the cup of water into the crockpot (down the side to not wash the paprika away).
      6. Cook on low temperature 6-8 hours.
    • Crock pot GARLIC GARLIC GARLIC Chicken!

2 sprigs fresh thyme
      2 sprigs fresh rosemary
      2 sprigs fresh sage
      2 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
      1 cup chicken broth
      40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
      4 lbs whole chicken
      2 stalks celery, sliced
      1 loaf French bread, sliced (Omit the bread of course!)

1. Place 1 sprig thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley in chicken cavity.
      2. Place celery in crock pot.
      3. Put chicken on top of celery.
      4. Pour chicken stock around the chicken.
      5. Add garlic around chicken.
      6. Chop remaining herbs. Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper over chicken.
      7. Cover cook on Low 8- 10 hours or on High 4- 6 hours.
      8. To serve, place chicken, garlic and celery on serving platter.
      9. Squeeze roasted garlic out of skins onto toasted French bread slices and spread with knife. (We can squeeze it onto the chicken breasts instead!)
      10. ENJOY!
    • MEXICAN LAMB WITH RED WINE SAUCE

4 lamb shanks
      1 cup of red wine
      1/4 cup chili powder
      1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
      1 teaspoon ground cumin
      1 teaspoon dried oregano
      2 cloves minced garlic
      1/4 teaspoon salt

Salsa

Place lamb in crockpot with meaty ends down. In a small bowl, combine wine and all seasonings. Pour mixture over lamb shanks. Cover and cook on Low 7 to 9 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat from bones, discard bones. Return meat to liquid. Serve over rice or wrap in tortillas with salsa (use low carb alternative or have without or heck have with salad!)
      Serves 6
    • Crock Pot BBQ Country-Style Ribs
      4 pounds pork country-style ribs
      6 ounces tomato paste
      1 cup water
      1/4 cup vinegar
      2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
      1 tablespoon dry mustard
      1 tablespoon chili powder
      2 tablespoons splenda

Brown in frying pan ribs on both sides. Put in crock pot. Mix rest of ingredients in medium bowl with a whisk. Pour over ribs in crock pot. Cook 8 to 10 hrs on low.....5 to 8 on high . Will start to fall off the bone.

Per Serving: 292 Calories; 7g Fat (19.6% calories from fat); 54g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 132mg Cholesterol; 418mg Sodium.
    • Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients:
      Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
      -------- ------------ --------------------------------
      1 1/2 cups dry red wine
      3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
      2 tablespoons dry minced onion
      1 teaspoon thyme
      1 tablespoon parsley flakes
      1 bay leaf
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      4 pounds stew beef -- 1" cubes
      1/3 cup flour
      1 teaspoon salt
      8 slices bacon -- diced
      24 small white onions
      2 garlic cloves -- minced
      1 pound mushrooms -- quartered
      Preparation:
      Thoroughly combine first 7 ingredients; add beef and marinate at least 3 hours at room temperature, or overnight in refrigerator. Drain meat reserving 1 cup of marinade. Place meat in removable liner; sprinkle with flour and salt and toss to coat meat. Fry bacon; fry onions in bacon fat until slightly brown, add garlic and fry for 30 seconds; remove onions, garlic and bacon with slotted spoon and add to meat in liner. Saute mushrooms in remaining bacon fat (add butter if needed). Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon and add to meat-onion mixture. Pour reserved 1 cup of marinade over all. Place liner in base. Cover and cook on auto 6-7 hours; or low 8-10 hours; or high 4-5 hours.
    • Beef Roast Au Jus

5 lbs rump roast
      1 tablespoon paprika
      2 teaspoons chili powder
      1/2 teaspoon celery salt
      1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
      1/2 cup beef broth
      1 tablespoon minced garlic

1. Trim any fat from rump roast and brown all sides in a Tablespoon olive oil.
      2. Mix dry spices together and rub over meat.
      3. Place roast in crockpot with 1/2 cup beef broth and 1 Tablespoon minced garlic.
      4. Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.
      5. The longer the better.
      6. Slice beef thin slices.
      7. Strain garlic from broth and serve with meat slices.
    • Crockpot Curried Almonds

2 tablespoons melted butter
      1 tablespoon curry powder
      1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
      1 lb blanched almond

1. Mix butter, curry and seasoned salt.
      2. Pour over almonds in crockpot and mix to coat well.
      3. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours.
      4. Turn to high, uncover pot mix and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
      5. ENJOY!
    • wow Sherrie, they sound yum, have you tried all these?:D

I have just put a curry in mine, its not l/carb though as it has potatoes and carrots in it (for the kids). They have eaten what I have cooked in it the last 2 nights.:D
      I guess if I want any I will just have to pick out the potatoes and carrots.:rolleyes:

I was wondering how your casserole went for your kids L2bs, you said you put stock in it (I am thinking the little cartons of liquid stock) was it too watery?
    • i gotta buy me a crock pot!!

L2B the lamb one i mentioned could be 1 of 2 recipes, which aren't in the crockpot but in my cast iron casserole. you oculd adapt though:

Pot Roast:
      Lamb roast
      garlic cloves
      2 bacon stock cube
      packet french onion soup
      1 tbsp tomato paste
      splash red wine

Cut the garlic in half, cut slits into lamb and push garlic in. Mix stock cubes, soup, red wine and tom paste together. Put roast in pot, pour over gravy, cook at 180C for about 2 hours

The other is very similar:
      Lamb casserole:
      Lamb chops (however you like them, we get forequarter)
      garlic cloves
      2 bacon stock cube
      1 can tomatoes
      splash red wine
      onion, celery & carrot or zucchini chopped)
      Put the vegies on the bottom of the casserole dish and sprinkle stck cubes over. Quickly fry lamb chops until browned but not cooked through. Put chops on top of vegies, pour tomatoes over and add wine. Season with pepper and cook at 180C until lamb is tender (about 1 hour)
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Bugger. If I have time later I will type them out for you, whats your email address and I will send them that way. You can PM me it if you like.
      You do realise if it was anyone else I would say, "Well, that's just stiff'" hehe:D

I have typed them out and saved them for you Brig but the site wont let me upload them..so waiting on you now to know where to send them.:D
    • i bought a crockpot on the weekend, a black and decker 5lt from kmart for $50!!! i made my lunches in it, and froze them. there are tonnes of recipes on the net if you do a search, i will post any that i try and are nice. i am really looking forward to not having to cook dinner some nights!!
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home