Looking for crock pot ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• I have an E-book that I got as a freeby when I bought another e-book - it is for Crockpot's - it isnt a low-carb cookbook but if someone wants a copy and has an idea of how I can get it to them then I'm happy to supply it. I don't have a crockpot so have not tried the recipes, I thought I could adapt them sometime to my Le Creuset French Oven but just haven't gotten around to it.
    • Middle Eastern Style Lamb

I have another one to share, made it last night and it was really yummy, I found it in a good taste mag (August) that you buy in woolies but changed it just a little to suit my tastes, what I had on hand etc... plus I cooked it in the slow cooker. Next time I am going to add some heat to it.

Middle Eastern Style Lamb

mix of coconut oil and butter for browning
      approx 1.5kg leg of lamb diced, I trimmed the big chunks of fat off as I knew I'd be using heaps of oil and butter in browning and I kept the bones to get some of the minerals from them into the dish.
      1 brown onion, sliced
      2 cloves of garlic, crushed
      1 TBL of ground cumin
      1 tsp ground coriander
      1 tsp ground cinnamon
      1 tsp turmeric
      500ml of homemade chicken stock (I didn't make this one, it came from the butcher)
      2 x 400g can organic chopped tomatoes (no salt or sugar added), for induction level low carbers only use 1 can and add some more stock.

Fresh coriander leaves, greek yoghurt and lemon wedges to serve.

I also sometimes make a really nice aromatic basmati rice to go with this kind of meal when not losing weight. For those that want the recipe send me a PM.

Season (salt and pepper and if you like a little flour of your prefferred type for dustiing) lamb and brown in batches then transfer to slow cooker with bones.

Saute onion and garlic until soft, add ground cumin, coriander,cinnamon and tumeric stirring until aromatic.

Add stock and tomatoes and bring to boil then transfer to slow cooker, give a good stir.

Thanks to Maya I had to cook this on high because it took me half the day just to get this on :eek: but for the slowcooker I would usually cook on low for around 9 hours or 1-2 hours on high then 5-7 on low.

If the sauce is runny for you, just bring it to the boil untill it thickens or you could even add some of the greek yoghurt (if thick) to it.

When ready just serve with some greek yoghurt, fresh coriander and lemon wedges on the side and vegies of your choice!

Its very good and kid friendly, not spicy at all, just aromatic.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Looking for crock pot ideas

Sherrie wrote:

I made this last night with a few changes:

Crockpot Hungarian Beef Goulash

1 onion, sliced (I added mushrooms too and lightly bowned these with garlic after browning the meat)
      3 carrots, cut into small pieces (I used less and added zucchini)
      1/4 cup all-purpose flour (leave out, use extra sour cream at end to thicken)
      2 teaspoons dried marjoram (didn't have so used oregano)
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      3/4 teaspoon pepper (just grinded salt and black pepper to taste)
      2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes (would have used close to 1kg)
      1/2 cup beef broth (I used 2 cups which I brought to boil with the tomatoe paste and spices in the pan I browned everything in, plus added more water once everything was in cooker)
      1/4 cup red wine (didn't use)
      1/4 cup tomato paste
      4 teaspoons ground paprika (I used more)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      2 tablespoons sour cream (add this in during the last 10minutes, I used more untill desired consistency)
      8 ounces egg noodles (didn't use, replace with mashed cauli, good for soaking up sauce)

1. Place onions and carrots in crockpot.
      2. Combine next four ingredients; toss beef with this mixture and add to crockpot.
      3. Combine broth, wine, tomato paste, paprika and garlic; pour over beef.
      4. Cover crockpot and cook 7-8 hours on low.
      5. When stew is ready cook noodles and transfer to platter.
      6. Stir sour cream into stew.
      7. Top noodles with stew.

Serve with mashed cauli and green beans, this was really good, my son isn't a fan of mushroomie things but he loved this!

I made this one today but instead of the stock, wine and tomato paste I used 1 cup of passatta and water. I also never had time to brown anything and I used 1 celeriac, 2 carrot, cabbage and mushroom. I would have put more veggies in lol but because I wasn't browning or cooking down anything there wasn't room!

I had mine as it was with no sour cream but Ryan and Garry had theirs with sour cream mash. It was yummy and Ryan requested that I make it again so it again passed the fussy teenager test :)

Oh and it had HEAPS of flavour
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Looking for crock pot ideas

Great thread-

I love my slow cooker and it is on the go whenever it is cool-

We love hot fruity indian curries- I need to find some LC recipes, I have looked at a lot on here will need to try some-

One of my favourites in the slow cooker is

Beef Pot Roast with Wine
      Large piece of topside or silverside
      bag of cocktail onions
      500g button mushrooms
      tsp mixed herbs, salt and pepper
      tin of tomatoes and 1/2 cup red wine

thats it, I put it on in the morning and it is done when we get home, sorry i don't have more specific times but it is delish and my kids love it, I serve it with vegies and the others also have mashed potato with it.

I don't know how low carb it is?