Looking for crock pot ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chicken Stew with Wine

Ingredients:
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
      Six strips bacon -- chopped
      Two medium onions -- quartered
      Two whole garlic cloves -- minced
      1-1/2 cups chicken stock
      1/2 cup dry white wine
      One bay leaf
      2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 tablespoon ThickenThin not/Starch (Or Arrowroot)
      3 cups sliced mushrooms
      Two green onions (scallions) -- sliced
      1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream

Directions:
      In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken thighs and bacon in until the chicken is browned on all sides and the bacon is cooked. Transfer the meat to an 18 to 24-cup slow-cooker or crockpot.

Combine all the remaining ingredients except the not/Starch and in a large bowl and stir to combine them. Pour them over the meat. Cover and cook on low for eight to ten hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.

Remove a small amount of the broth from the crock pot. Whisk the not/Starch into a small amount of the broth. Combine the not/Starch - chicken broth mixture with the stew and stir to combine. Let stand a few minutes while the broth thickens

Recipe serves four to six.

Nutritional information per serving (1/4 recipe):
      Calories: 239
      Total Fat: 13g (51.3% calories from fat)
      Saturated Fat: 2g
      Cholesterol: 91mg
      Sodium: 809mg
      Carbohydrates: 6g
      Protein: 21g
      Fiber: 1g
      Exchanges: 2-1/2 Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable, 1-1/2 Fat

I was thinking you could probably omit the thickener, don't put the cream in in the beginning. Once it's done if theres alot of liquid cook it down then stir in the cream and heat gently untill it thickens.
    • Okay here you go I have a good slow cooker recipe to share as I made it yesterday for dinner.

No counts as this was purely an experiment, it started off as a stew from the atkins cookbook but it changed as I put it together (bad habit of mine).

Veal Stew

900g veal, cubed
      3 Bacon rashers, diced
      2 Large Mushrooms, sliced
      1 sm onion, chopped
      1 garlic clove, crushed
      1Tbl Ghee
      1 tbl hungarian paprika
      100ml passata
      200ml Sour Cream
      100ml chicken stock (I just mixed a tsp of powder with 100ml water)
      Dash of mixed herbs
      Grind of black pepper and salt

Lightly fry the bacon,onion,mushies and garlic in the butter untill soft and browned. Remove from pan and place in slow cooker leaving the bacon fat in pan.
      Brown meat in batches in the bacon fat then chuck in slow cooker.

Mix together all the other ingredients and pour in slow cooker, give it a good stir and then put on low heat for 9 hours.

I served mine with cauliflower mash and steamed vegies. Don't worry about thickening up stew as the mash will soak up the juices.

This was very good :)
    • Okay I have another great one to share.

I had actually made it a few months ago but what I did was doubled the meat, onion(which I cooked before adding to crockpot) and marinade, then froze half of it.
      The first time I thought it tasted too winey. Then the other day I decided to use up the other half which I put out the morning before to make sure it defrosted in time. Anyway because of that the taste of this stew was perfect and so full of flavour!

I highly reccomend it!

It is not LC but just change the vegetables to LC ones.

I'm thinking to replace the potatoe you could use vegies like cauliflower, steam them seperately and then add them at the end with some green beans.

You could just use 1 carrot for flavour and add mushies to it aswell and fry them with the onions.

Decadent Crockpot Beef Stew With Red Wine

1 kg stewing beef
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      1 large onion, sliced
      2 stalks celery, diced
      2 carrots, diced
      3 slices bacon, diced
      2 potatoes, diced
      1 can crushed tomatoes
      3 cloves garlic, crushed
      1bay leaf
      1 teaspoon dried thyme
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      2 cups red wine
      50 ml Worcestershire sauce

1. marinate meat, red wine, olive oil, onion, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper overnight.
      2. Drain the meat and reserve the marinade.
      3. sautee the bacon.
      4. brown the meat in the bacon fat.
      5. place all the vegetables, meat, bacon, marinade and garlic into crockpot.
      6. cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or until meat is tender.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Found some more recipes yesterday:

justslowcooking.com/index.html
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherrie: removed dead links ().

• Crockpot Chicken Paprika -- Low Carb

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
      4 medium zucchini, sliced
      1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
      1 cup water
      3 tablespoons oil
      2 tablespoons paprika
      1 teaspoon salt

Place 4 chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot.
      Sprinkle with half of the paprika.
      Then, cover with a layer of zucchini and onions.
      Add the oil, then sprinkle generously with the rest of the paprika.
      Pour the cup of water into the crockpot (down the side to not wash the paprika away).
      Cook on low temperature 6-8 hours.

• LAREDO BARBECUED POT ROAST

This looks yummy!

LAREDO BARBECUED POT ROAST

3 pound boneless chuck roast
      1 small onion, coarsely chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
      1 clove garlic, chopped
      8 ounce can tomato sauce
      1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
      2 tablespoons vinegar
      1 teaspoon yellow mustard
      1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
      2 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional

Brown roast in hot oil in large skillet; place in slow cooker. Sauté onion and garlic in pan drippings; add to slow cooker. In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour over roast. Cook on LOW 6 hours.

Makes about 8 servings

Per Serving: 371 Calories; 27g Fat; 27g Protein; 3.5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs

This is a recipe that I'd made years ago and updated it for low carb. The only changes I made were to use Splenda instead of brown sugar and I added the liquid smoke for extra barbecue flavor. This would be great with some low carb coleslaw or "potato" salad. The sauce would be nice with pork too.

genaw.com/lowcarb/laredo_bbq_pot_roast.html

• ASIAN PORK

Pork loin roast, approximately 4-6 pounds
      5 tablespoons soy sauce
      1/4 cup granulated Splenda
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/4 cup green onions, chopped, 1 ounce or about 1 1/2 green onions
      1 tablespoon garlic, minced
      1 tablespoon sesame oil
      5 tablespoons water

Put the meat in a crock pot, fat side up, cutting roast in half to fit if necessary. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over meat. Cook on LOW 8 hours, basting with sauce occasionally.

Makes about 8-10 servings, depending on the size of the roast

Per 1/8 Recipe: 324 Calories; 24g Fat; 24g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
      Per 1/10 Recipe: 259 Calories; 19g Fat; 19g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

This is the same marinade I used in the Seoul Chicken and Bulkogi recipes. The meat came out very tender and juicy cooked this way and I will probably create some other pork roast recipes using the crock pot.

genaw.com/lowcarb/asian_pork.html

• I got this recipe from the weston a price site. It's a lamb shoulder stew but I just used 1kg of chops (all I had at the time) and chucked it all in the slow cooker.

Its a not completely low carb as it has alot of carrot, normally I would say leave it out but I suspect that is all part of what is good about it.

Its a very simple stew if you cook it in the slow cooker, taste very light and refreshing I really liked it. I didn't worry about the olive oil as I figured there is plenty of fat in the lamb.

lamb stew

• the lamb one:

1 packet french onion soup
      2 bacon stock cubes
      1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
      red wine
      lamb shanks (or lamb roast)
      garlic cloves

mix soup, cubes with a cup of hot water, add to pot, with tom paste and red wine (not too much, it gets really strong in the crockpot). stuff the garlic cloves into slits made in the lamb. put lamb in, cook till meat is falling off bone. you can put small onions in as well if you want too.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • I am still making the other lamb stew in the slowcooker, I stopped for a little while then started again last week and we are all re-addicted :)
      I make a big batch enough to feed us all for 2 nights, will make another batch this week!

• Catalan Beef Stew

Okay this was really good last night so heres my version of Catalan Beef Stew in the slow cooker.

Catalan Beef Stew

250g pancetta chopped
      2kg Gravy Beef
      butter/olive oil for browning (I used both)
      2 brown onions, chopped
      4 cloves of garlic, chopped/crushed
      4 TBL red wine vinegar
      2 TBL tomato paste
      4 cups of beef stock (you may need less with your slow cooker but this is perfect for mine)
      2 x cinnamon sticks
      3 x strips of lemon peel
      4 x sprigs of thyme
      1/3 block of lindt 85%
      fresh parsley

Brown beef in batches and chuck in slowcooker.

Brown pancetta, onions and garlic until golden, chuck in slow cooker.

Add vinegar and paste to pan to help get up any bits on pan, add stock and all other ingredients except parsley. Bring to boil then chuck in slow cooker and stir in. If all of the stock doesn't fit in the frying pan just boil up what does then add the rest directly to slow cooker.
      For my big slowcooker I make sure there is enough liquid to cover everything so if there isn't I add extra water untill theres enough.

I set mine to 3 hours on high and 3 hours on low which is the equivelent of 9 hours on low (1hr on high = 2hour on low). I did this because I was running late with it otherwise I would have put it on high for an hour or two and the rest on low. I always start on high for atleast an hour as this ensures the temperature is high enough to kill off any bacteria in the meat.

Once ready serve with mashed cauli, celeriac or pumpkin and a side of butterred greens, sprinkle with fresh parsley and viola!

You will have lots of leftovers too!

• hehe well thats why only 1/3rd went into the stew ;)

Just kidding but seriousely mexicans use dark chocolate all the time in their cooking.

• Came across this site today: Just Slow Cooking

I did notice though that some recipes say to put the meat in frozen which I wouldn't reccomend!