The Cheesecake Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: The Cheesecake Thread

how did it go?

...I usually turn it down a bit and leave it in longer....for a while I was making them with reduced fat philly and they dont work...full fat is MUCHO better!
      You don't need eyes to see you need vision... Maxy Jazz....Faithless

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

my kids always used to larf at my cakes as they had this way of sinking in the middle...lol @ beastlings

um a cheesecake will harden a bit as it cools....or FREEZE it lol....then it will be hard! Mine are a bit wobbly when they're cooked but they're fine when they cool...

trust me it will still taste awesome

[Blocked Image: http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hearts/kg/130.3/75/107/.png] 155kilos 7/2009...I started this time 19/9/2010

I think baked cheesecakes should be a little wobbly in the centre, it sets as it cools but you shouldn't take out the oven straight away but rather let it cool down in there with door ajar, helps with cracking etc
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Cazza wrote:

bloody lovely :p

excellent!! cheesecake thats not bad for you and tastes good....life is good

Theres a cheesecake thread on here and I have only just discovered it, what the lol

there are heaps Akasha :D

excellent!! cheesecake thats not bad for you and tastes good....life is good

Sometimes I think things taste too good and that gets in my head that I won't lose weight and I don't lose but surely cos I think that it can't happen.

streuth did that make sense?????
      Start date AGAIN August 24 2010

Cheers
      Cazza xx
    • Re: Sherrie: Cheesecake recipe please

Here is a yummy LC cheesecake recipe I found on an American site. They say it is a modified version of one they sell in their "Cheesecake Factory" (I assume equivalent of our Cheesecake Shop).

Base:

1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
      1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
      1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
      3/4 cup almond meal
      2 tablespoons butter (melted in microwave)

Filling:

680g cream cheese (I used the reduced fat Philly one - 3 x 250g blocks)
      1 1/3 cup splenda or other artificial sweetener (I used equal - baking one)
      3 eggs
      2 tsp vanilla
      2 tsp lemon juice
      450g sour cream (I used lite sour cream - and only had a 400g tub)

Cream cheese and eggs should be at room temperature

Mix all nuts and almond meal and butter and press into a sprinform pan.
      Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy (on low setting for entire mixing process)
      Add sweetener a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time, beat after each, then add vanilla and lemon juice and beat. Last add the sour cream and beat until just blended.
      Pour cream cheese into the springform pan. Cook in oven at 160C for 1 hr and 15mins. When time is up, turn off oven and prop open oven door, leave for one hour. Take out and run knife around edge. Let cool to room temperature then refridgerate for (agghhhh!) 24 hrs!

Enjoy! I couldn't wait that long! :D
    • Re: Low carb baked cheesecake - how to overcome artificial sweetener taste?

Howdy,

I've been reading about low carb cheesecakes (here and other sites) and actually got around to making one over the weekend.

I made the "low carb" cheesecake factory one (posted by Lisy from memory) and used Splenda. I did not have sour cream (used regular thickened cream instead).

Although the cheesecake looked good (no cracks) and the texture was good, i.e. similar to regular cheesecakes made with real sugar, the low carb version suffered from "artificial sweetener" aftertaste. DH did not like it at all and asked straight away if I'd used artificial sweetener. I tasted it after it had cooled and chilled all day, then waited another two days for it to "rest". Did not taste very different after allowing the extra time.

I'm wondering if using sugarfree jelly (lemon perhaps) might be a better substitute for Splenda?

On looking through the threads though it seems the jelly is usually used for no bake type cheesecakes.

Has anyone tried using sugarfree jelly for a baked cheesecake? If so, did it also suffer from artificial sweetener aftertaste?

Would love to duplicate the taste of real cheesecake without the aftertaste.

Not sure why, but most people here and at other low carb sites say the low carb cheesecakes taste great. Is it just me or do others suffer from the aftertaste? The only other thing I can think of that may have affected things was using regular cream instead of sour cream.

Thanks for any suggestions.:)
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

The post was edited 2 times, last by ozgal ().

Hi Ozgal,

Sorry to hear you didn't like the cheesecake. I actually made it over the weekend for the second time and it was really yummy. I had my parents over and we had some for dessert (I'm sure they were thinking - what is this low-carb thing gonna taste like!) and they loved it. The artificial sweetener I used is the Equal 'baking' one. Also maybe using the cream instead of sour cream may have added to the overall sweetness and aftertaste - the sour cream should counteract that.

I know what its like when you don't have success with a recipe but I wish I could give you some of mine to try!!! :D

Sometimes it is the amount of sweetener you use that is the key, I always add to taste rather then use the full amount in recipes. Also combining sweeteners helps get a better "sugar" taste.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Lisy wrote:

Hi Ozgal,

Sorry to hear you didn't like the cheesecake. I actually made it over the weekend for the second time and it was really yummy. I had my parents over and we had some for dessert (I'm sure they were thinking - what is this low-carb thing gonna taste like!) and they loved it. The artificial sweetener I used is the Equal 'baking' one. Also maybe using the cream instead of sour cream may have added to the overall sweetness and aftertaste - the sour cream should counteract that.

I know what its like when you don't have success with a recipe but I wish I could give you some of mine to try!!! :D

Hi Lisy,

I hope my post did not sound too harsh. The look and texture of the cheesecake was great. The only thing I did not like was the artificial sweetener aftertaste. I made an error in my original post where I mentioned using Splenda. I double checked the package - I actually used the Equal "baking" brand, so the same one you used. Perhaps using cream instead of the sour cream affected things. Could you taste the Equal sweetener at all? How about your parents? If not, then maybe I am just really sensitive to the taste of it myself.

I will give it another try but will use sour cream (should have done that first time around...LOL!).

Again, I hope my post did not sound like I was criticising your recipe and thanks so much for letting me know the cheesecake was enjoyed by you and your parents.

Cheers. :)
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

The post was edited 1 time, last by ozgal ().