The Cheesecake Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: The Cheesecake Thread

Hi Sherrie,

Thanks for the tip regarding the use of sweetener.

I have heard that mixing different types together can improve things and may also lessen the aftertaste. I also recall reading that sweeteners in bulk form (i.e. Equal and Splenda that can be measured out in similar quantities to real sugar) use a bulking agent that may contribute to the aftertaste.

I might try crushing Splenda tablets to see if that makes a difference - provided they are still available, as it's been some years since I've purchased them.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers. :)
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

Hi Ozgal,

No offence taken by your post, it was not harsh at all ;) I think the cream vs sour cream thing may be the issue. No one (my husband had it too) reported any aftertaste - its just like a cheesecake 'normal' people eat hee hee :D

The only other thing I did slightly different to the recipe was cook it for 1 hour - it was nicely browned at that point and didn't need the extra 15 mins. The original recipe gave the option of adding 6 eggs or 3 eggs for a creamier texture. I haven't tried it with 6 eggs as I liked the texture with 3 eggs.

I served it with a blast of whipped cream and a few berries!!

Well, if you do try it again please let me know how it turns out! I wish you all the best,
      Lisy
      :)

Hi Lisy,

Happy to hear my post did not come across as negative. I will definitely give the cheesecake another go. I have to be careful though...so easy to over indulge (aftertaste nor not!). As I am the only one in my household eating low carb (sons 25 and 27 and DH do not have weight issues - lucky guys!) I need to watch the portion sizes.

Will let you know how I go. I also wonder if the Davinci syrups may be better as the sweetener? Might have to give that a go as a comparison.

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers. :)
      Cheers,

Hi Sherrie,

Thanks also for sharing your experience about using cream/sour cream. Good to know. As mentioned in my reply to Lisy, I might try to get hold of some Davinci syrup to see if that works better. I wonder if using the Queen's sugar free maple syrup might also be a good alternative? Not that I've seen the Queen's SF in the supermarkets in Prahran.
      Cottees diet toppings might also be worth a try.

If anyone has tried any of these as sweetener for baked cheesecakes I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers to all.
      Cheers,

Hi again,

Just back from a shopping trip to stock up on supplies!

Found Queen's sugar free maple syrup at Coles (Prahran store) - Yay!

Seemed to take forever studying labels of various products.

Only diet topping available was Cottee's chocolate. Did not purchase as I agree with others who say this has highly artificial flavour.

Checked out jams and purchased Dalfour's apricot. All have high carb content but may try experimenting by adding a little jam to cheesecake mixture rather than artificial sweetener. Also purchased Masterfoods lemon butter (has about the same sugar content/carb count as the jams - but may help me make a more natural tasting lemon cheesecake. Also purchased Aeroplane diet jelly (mango passionfruit flavour I think). Oh, also purchased Nutrevia (stevia based - says on packet it does not have a bitter taste).

Ended trip with purchase of cauliflower, broccoli, chicken thighs, and a few other low carb ingredients. Trying chicken (caulirice) stir fry tonight. Am sure my guys will ask where the real rice is...but hey...beggars cannot be choosers when I'm doing the cooking.

Fully stocked now and no excuses!

Cheers to all.
      Cheers,

Are you new to LC and using artificial sweetener? if so it may be just the change over - getting use to the different sweetener taste. Before low carb I couldn't stand the taste of artificial. Yuk...
      When I started LC I did a gradual change over with half & half - now I have no problem.
      Why not try a chilled cheesecake, I use a Mango & Passion fruit Diet Jelly & for my taste it's great, I've also fed it to non dieters and they love it too.

Ps. I don't like equal & prefer splenda, but we all have different tastes :)

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

Everyone has there own taste when it comes to sweeteners. I just bought some Natvia (100% natural sweetener - mix of stevia and erythritol) and will try this in my next cheesecake. Although I have no issues with Equal - was perfect in the cheesecakes I've made, I would prefer a natural sweetener. Some other artificial sweeteners (in sugar free lollies) give me really bad headaches.

Hope the natural sweetener is a winner!

Cheers!
      :D

Hi there Janal,

I did follow LC for a while a few years back. Am going through an experimental phase at the moment to figure out what works best for me. Looking for a perfect match, i.e. Quantity+Quality!

I think I am just too darn fussy for my own good. DH is Italian. Italian food is gorgeous a such a huge part of living.

Anyway, back to the topic of cheesecake! Am still tweaking. Will post when I hit the jackpot!

Cheers to all.
      Cheers,

Hi Lisy and others,

Just checking in with update on the cheesecake factory cheesecake.

Yay! Have now made this by sticking to the original recipe but substituting the sweetener with 1/3 cup Queen's Sugar Free Maple Syrup.

I also purchased some mini springform cheesecake tins. I put about 1 tbs of almond meal in the base of each mini tin (i.e. I did not use a crust for the base). I then poured mixture up to the brim of each mini tin.

I placed a water bath on the carousel tray in my convection microwave and used a metal stand above that, with mini tins on a round tray. Used convection setting, temperature 160ºC for 1 hour. They had begun to puff up while cooking and looked a little like souffles. Left the oven door open a crack only and left the tins in for an hour or so. The cheesecake tops flattened but did not sink and there were no cracks.

Put them in freezer for 2 hours and then moved to fridge (so I could sample some on the same day).

No artificial sweetner taste at all which is great. They could do with a little more maple syrup though so might try 1/2 cup of the Queen's SF Maple Syrup next time.

Looks like I might be sensitive to the Equal sweetener - but no problem now with the Queens' SF maple syrup.

Many thanks for the great recipe!
      Cheers,

The post was edited 1 time, last by ozgal ().

Hey Ozgal! :)

That is great news. I'm glad to hear it worked out well. I may have to try the maple syrup myself. I bought some of the Natvia sweetener (combo of stevia and xylitol) but haven't actually tried it it anything yet, except I did put a teaspoon in my friend's coffee for him to try and he nearly died from the sweetness!!! Apparently the stevia is 400 times sweeter than sugar! I guess I should have given him 1/400th of a teaspoon :D Anyway I bought it to use in this cheesecake but am really worried about how much to use.

Does anyone have any tips on using natvia and quantities to use in comparison to the evil sugar :confused:

Cheers,
      Lisy

Hi Lisy,

Just checked my Natvia pack and also the natvia.com.au site.

It seems 1 stick (3g) is equivalent to 1 tsp of regular sugar with regard to sweetness.

I purchased the Natvia box of 40 x 3g sticks (look like those skinny sugar packets served with coffee at cafes).

I have not used the product yet though as I do not have sugar in my coffee or tea.

Fingers crossed it works well with your cheesecake.

Cheers.
      Cheers,

Thanks Ozgal,

I bought the 200g tin of Natvia and the only 'sort of' reference to any conversion is the amount of calories in natvia per 3g teaspoon vs calories in sugar per 4g teaspoon. I think on that basis I would use natvia at 75% of required amount of sugar. I will be making this cheesecake again in a few days for my husband's birthday and will give it a go (poor guinea pig hubby!). He also loves orange flavour so I was thinking of flavouring the cheesecake orange somehow (maybe some grand marnier ;) - but that creates another dilemma - how much? aaagghhh! :eek:

You're making the mistake by going by weight. Like granular splenda, when they say spoon by spoon they mean volume not weight.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Sherrie,

I think Lisy might be correct in this case, as the Natvia website and also the Natvia packaging show 3g Natvia as being equivalent to 4g sugar.

Using the above formula, this would equate with 75g Natvia being equivalent to 100g sugar as far as sweetness goes, and if is substituting exact amounts from a non LC recipe.

I'm not sure I would trust the Natvia (or any sugar substitute) though as they do not replicate the taste of real sugar exactly.

Lisy, can I suggest you try adding Natvia in small quantities to the cheesecake batter (i.e. add the Natvia last). Mix the Natvia bit by bit, mixing and tasting the batter as you go.

At least in this way you may get an idea of the sweetness level more safely.

Cheers.
      Cheers,

Yes but does 3g natvia and 4g sugar measure the same in volume? I think what they are saying where they measure the same is by volume just like splenda. For example if memory serves correct a box of splenda was only around 110-120g but you used to get a few cups out of that where as with sugar one cup is around 250g
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Sherrie,

I see what you mean. I am talking weight though, not volume.

Weight as in 3g of Natvia is equivalent to 4g real sugar.

You may be correct that Natvia actually weighs less than sugar (i.e. less volume). I'm not sure as I have pre-measured packages in my box of Natvia. Says on the box each package contains 3g of Natvia which is equivalent to 4g of real sugar.

I would therefore recommend weighing the Natvia rather than substituting volume i.e. cup or part cup measurements.

If Lisy uses 75g of Natvia it will be interesting to see how this measures up against the same amount of real sugar measured by the cup.

Hope this does not confuse things further.
      Cheers,