The Cheesecake Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: The Cheesecake Thread

Hi Sherrie,

Yes, you are correct. I found the statement "can be used spoon for spoon" on Natvia's website natvia.com.au under the Questions and Answers, as per the attachment.

This would indicate that 1 spoon of Natvia is equal to 1 spoon of sugar as far as sweetness is concerned.

You are also right about Natvia claiming to use volume, i.e. spoon for spoon.

Natvia's packaging also provides the following:

Better for you - [B]spoon for spoon

Followed by the nutritional values below:

Natvia = 0.6 calories per 3g stick compared to
      Sugar = 16 calories per 4g teaspoon.
      [/B]

This implies that a spoon of each product is being compared (as the values are shown beneath the heading "Better for you spoon for spoon").

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, as when measured the 3g stick of Natvia only measures 3/4 of a teaspoon, compared to 1 full teaspoon for 4g of sugar. So it's not exactly "spoon for spoon". Of course, Natvia may only be talking about sweetness here...but as it does appear under the "spoon for spoon" heading, it leads to confusion.

(I weighed and measured Natvia and sugar just to be sure and I x 3g stick (i.e. small packet) of Natvia weighs 3g and measures out to about 3/4 tsp (using metric measuring spoon). 4g sugar = 1 flat tsp (metric measuring spoon).

I also looked at Equal for baking. It is much, much ligher by weight, as it is a fine powder compared to Natvia, which is granular and more similar to sugar. Volume when using Equal for Baking would therefore be different to using Natvia, as Equal for Baking is much, much lighter than Natvia.

When using Natvia I think I would still use 3g for every 4g of sugar (75% Natvia compared to sugar, or 75g Natvia for every 100g sugar). If using spoon for spoon, I'd use 3/4 spoon of Natvia for a spoon of sugar.

Of course, I'm still not 100% sure about this as the Natvia wording to me is still a bit ambiguous. Although the heading says "spoon for spoon" when it comes to providing the actual nutritional values, they use weight for Natvia, 1 x 3g stick, and volume and weight, 1 tsp (4g) for real sugar. That equates to 3/4 of a tsp not a whole tsp of Natvia being equivalent to 1tsp of sugar.

This may also explain why Lisy's friend thought the coffee was too sweet, as 1 full tsp of Natvia is sweeter than 1 full tsp of sugar.

Hope this makes sense - sure confused the heck out of me.

Cheers.
      Files
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

The post was edited 4 times, last by ozgal ().

Hi again,

I have sent an email to Natvia to get a more conclusive answer about exact Natvia equalivent to real sugar.

Here's a copy of my email to them:

Hi,
      I have read the Natvia nutritional information but find it confusing. You indicate the product can be used spoon for spoon. However, the nutritional values on your package (40 x 3g sticks) show Natvia per 3g stick and 4g (1tsp) of sugar.

I have measured the 3g stick of Natvia as 3/4 of a tsp.
      Can you please confirm for me if each 3g stick of Natvia is equivalent in taste to 4g (1 level tsp) of sugar?

I look forward to hearing from you as I need to use fairly exact measurements for cooking purposes.

If 3g Natvia is equivalent to 4g real sugar as far as sweetness goes, then 75g of Natvia would be equivalent to 100g real sugar.

Again, if you can confirm this for me, I would be very grateful.

Cheers and thank you for your help.
      Cheers,

Hey Ozgal,

Thanks for your efforts in finding out about the natvia/sugar conversion - I'll be interested in the reply, fingers crossed they actually will reply. I agree with you and Sherrie, it is really confusing :confused:- maybe if they didn't include the reference to grams at all it would make it a straight forward one to one calculation!

I just made a mini 'trial' cheescake as I had half a packet of cream cheese in the fridge that needed to be used so I had the brilliant idea of a mini cheescake trying the natvia (and some orange essence and grand marnier). As far as quantities go, I used 1/6 of everything from the recipe (didn't do the base though). I used 1/4 cup of natvia. As I didn't have a small tin, I used two ramekins - so two mini cheesecakes. Just had a little taste and its really nice - I would describe it as sweet but a natural sweetness (just like sugar dare I say it!) When I make it to the real life size recipe quantities, I will try it with 1 cup natvia instead of 1 & 1/3 cups as I have a feeling it will be sweet enough with 1 cup. I'll make it tomorrow night in time for my husband's b'day the following day. Of course I will let you know how it goes!! BTW the orange flavour is quite yummy - I guess you could use anything instead of vanilla - peppermint, lemon etc....

Thanks again :D

Cheers,
      Lisy

Hi Lisy,

Yes, will be good if Natvia people reply (but not holding my breath. LOL!).

Making the mini cheesecake was a great idea and wonderful that it turned out well.

I look forward to hearing how your husband's birthday cake turns out.

Cheers and best of luck with it all! :)
      Cheers,

Hey Ozgal,

Well the birthday cheesecake was absolutely delicious!!! I ended up using 1 cup of natvia (the cheescake factory recipe suggests 1 1/3 cups sweetener) and it was perfectly sweet. I asked my husband (several times!) about the sweetness and he thought it was just right! I will be using natvia in my cheesecakes from now on. One tip though, I wouldn't bother with those little packets if you are planning on making a cheesecake with natvia. I realised I didn't have quite a cup left in my natvia tin so I bought the box of individual packets so I could supplement the amount to make up the 1 cup. After opening all the packets I needed, I was so over it!! Please buy the tin, it will save your sanity!!!

Oh yeah, I also added about two tablespoons of orange essence - it gave it really nice flavour (not an overwhelmingly orange flavour though). Might try it with lemon essence next time.....mmmmm delicious :D

Chhers,
      Lisy

Hey Ozgal,

Well the birthday cheesecake was absolutely delicious!!! I ended up using 1 cup of natvia (the cheescake factory recipe suggests 1 1/3 cups sweetener) and it was perfectly sweet. I asked my husband (several times!) about the sweetness and he thought it was just right! I will be using natvia in my cheesecakes from now on. One tip though, I wouldn't bother with those little packets if you are planning on making a cheesecake with natvia. I realised I didn't have quite a cup left in my natvia tin so I bought the box of individual packets so I could supplement the amount to make up the 1 cup. After opening all the packets I needed, I was so over it!! Please buy the tin, it will save your sanity!!!

Oh yeah, I also added about two tablespoons of orange essence - it gave it really nice flavour (not an overwhelmingly orange flavour though). Might try it with lemon essence next time.....mmmmm delicious :D

Cheers,
      Lisy

melvan wrote:

You can use (hang on let me check my book...) 1 tsp molasses in place of 1/3 cup brown sugar. Blackstrap molasses is the kind you want.

I bought some organic blackstrap molasses a month or so ago but could remember why, hard to imagine it substituting brown sugar as didn't taste very nice!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • In 2008, lissylou asked this question: “Sherrie, when you say you had cheesecake for breakfast or lunch - I'm wondering which recipe you use. Can someone please let me know the best cheesecake to start with during weight loss? "

“There must be some kind of rank to them - as in, ones which you would just make for a special occasion or on the weekend - and ones which are suitable to eat regularly? I am not used being able to eat it! I feel overwhelmed with the choices here and would love some advice.”

I've had the same question about a simple, easy to make cheesecake for weeks. Didn't ask because I knew the answer HAD to be here - and I knew I'd learn more if I hunted. Thought I'd been all over this site but didn't see this question in this cheesecake thread until today. I started copying and pasting recipes but need to get back to work so will continue tonight. Whew!! What a relief.

I made fat balls with coconut oil, cream cheese, PB and sweetener last night but I think easy no-cook cheesecakes may be a better solution to the problem of not getting enough fat - at least for now when I'm just starting out and feeling overwhelmed.