Low Carb Salads

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Chunky Chicken Caesar Salad

Originally posted by TTIKIFR
      If you make up a big bowl of this but only add the dressing when you are ready to eat it, it will last a couple of days in the fridge. Great quick easy lunch!

You Need:

2 small or 1 large cooked chicken breast fillet
      1 Cos lettuce
      1 tomato
      3 eggs
      4 rashers streaky bacon
      1 packet shaved parmesan cheese
      Paul Newman's Own Caesar Salad Dressing (has less than 1g carbs - lowest dressing available!)

Cook bacon until really crisp and hard and break into pieces. Hard boil eggs and cut into chunky pieces.
      Shred lettuce by hand into large pieces and place into a large bowl. Break up chicken and add to bowl. Cut tomato into chunky pieces and add to chicken and lettuce. Add bacon to mix and toss by hand to mix it all up. Sprinkle shaved parmesan on top! Splash small amount of dressing over salad just before eating.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Warm Chicken Salad

Originally posted by Sherrie
      1/4 cup butter, divided
      Two whole chicken breasts (skinned, boned and cut into thin strips)
      1/3 cup chopped red pepper
      1 cup cooked asparagus pieces
      2 tablespoons minced shallots
      1 teaspoon dried tarragon (or 1-tablespoon fresh, minced)
      1 cup whipping cream
      1 tablespoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
      1/4 cup toasted almonds

Directions:
      Over low heat, melt 2-tablespoons butter in large skillet. Saute chicken pieces until cooked throughout. Meanwhile, melt remaining 2-tablespoons butter in medium-sized skillet. Cook red pepper, asparagus, shallots and tarragon over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about five minutes. Set aside. Add whipping cream to chicken. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low, stirring constantly until cream is reduced and thickened, about five minutes. Stir in vegetable mixture and mustard, cooking until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.

Recipe makes five, 2/3-cup servings; 2.1
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Egg and Bacon Salad

egg and bacon salad

Originally posted by tracye_aust
      Ok here is a salad to die for, chop up 1 cup lettuce, 1/2 cup celery(I used snowpeas today) 2 hard boiled eggs cut into quarters and 1 rasher bacon grilled until it cannot be cooked anymore(really crunchy) and cut it up into little pieces, mix it all up and add about 1-2 tablespoons of helmans roasted garlic mayo(or what ever mayo you use). This is so delicious, but i think the trick is to add the egg and bacon while still warm.

• Chicken, Avocado & Bacon Salad

Originally posted by sambalam
      speaking of salads...

Serves 4

2 chicken breasts without skin
      3 1/2 tbs olive oil
      3 rashers bacon, trimmed and cut into thin strips
      2 roma tomatoes, thickly sliced
      110g cos lettuce, torn into pieces
      1 avocado, sliced
      1tbs balsamic vinegar
      50g shaved parmasen cheese

Season chicken and fry in 1tb oil over medium heat until brown and cooked through. Keep warm. Cook bacon in same pan until crispy, drain well.

Toss lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and bacon together in bowl. Cut chicken on diagonal into thin slices then add to salad. Whisk vinegar and remaining oil together then pour over salad. Toss again gently then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.

Don't know carbs sorry guys.

• Curried Egg Mousse

Originally posted by moonstruck
      12 hard boiled eggs
      300ml cream
      1 tblsp gelatine
      paprika
      salt and pepper
      1 tblsp curry powder

Garnish :Prawns,sliced cucumber and lettuce shredded.

Chop or mince eggs finely.Whip cream lightly and gently fold in gelatine and curry powder. Season to taste.Add eggs.Spoon into ring mould and chill until set.
      To serve turn out on plate,surround with shredded lettuce,fill centre with prawns and top with finely sliced cucumber.
      serves 8

• Celery, Avocado & Walnut salad

This is one my mum-in-law made at Christmas this year, everyone loved it. Not sure how many servings it'd be but I'm guessing at least 3-4.

Celery, Avocado and Walnut Salad

3 rashers of bacon
      3 sticks of celery, very thinly sliced
      3 spring onions, finely chopped
      half cup of chopped walnuts
      1 ripe avocado
      lemon juice

Dressing
      half cup of sour cream
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      pinch of pepper

Cook bacon and chop into small pieces. Add to celery, onions and walnuts. Halve the avocado and slice thinly. Sprinkle with lemon juice and add to mix. Lightly beat sour cream, olive oil and pepper together and fold carefully into salad.
    • Tuna Tabouli

Originally posted by snez
      Tuna Tabouli

This makes a delicious and simple light lunch that will satisty any palate.

Serving Size Serves 2

Ingredients
      1 cup chopped fresh continental parsely
      1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
      250 g red cherry tomatoes, halved
      4 shallots, chopped
      2 cloves garlic, chopped
      1/4 cup chopped whole almonds
      1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
      1/4 cup sunflower seeds
      1 x 185 g tin, serena tuna in spring water
      light pinch of ground cumin
      juice from 1 lemon
      1 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
      sea salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
      In a bowl combine the parsely, mint, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, almonds and seeds then mix through. Add the tuna, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and mix through well. Taste for seasoning and enjoy!

Taken from website teresacutter.com

• BROCCOLI SALAD

BROCCOLI SALAD

1 bunch fresh broccoli, finely chopped, raw, about 1 pound
      1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
      3/4 cup mayonnaise
      2 tablespoons white vinegar
      2 tablespoons Splenda or 1/8 teaspoon plus 16 drops liquid Splenda
      12 ounces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
      1/4 cup sunflower kernels

Put the broccoli and onion in a large bowl. Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar and Splenda; pour over broccoli and mix well. Just before serving, stir in the bacon and sunflower kernels.

Makes 6-12 servings

Per 1/6 recipe: 590 Calories; 53g Fat; 21g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 recipe: 442 Calories; 40g Fat; 16g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/10 recipe: 354 Calories; 32g Fat; 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
      Per 1/12 recipe: 295 Calories; 27g Fat; 11g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

The only difference between this and the classic recipe is the Splenda instead of sugar. I also reduced the sunflowers kernels from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup.

genaw.com/lowcarb/broccoli_salad.html

• Egg & Tuna Salad

EGG & TUNA SALAD

8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
      2 6-ounce cans tuna, drained
      1/2 cup sugar free sweet pickles, chopped
      3/4 cup mayonnaise
      1 stalk celery, chopped
      2 teaspoons mustard
      1 tablespoon chives, minced
      1/4 teaspoon celery salt
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 teaspoon Spicy Seasoning Salt here
      1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice, optional

Mix all ingredients well; chill several hours before serving.

Makes about 6-8 servings

Per 1/6 Recipe: 367 Calories; 30g Fat; 22g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 Recipe: 275 Calories; 22g Fat; 16g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/egg_and_tuna_salad.html

• TUNA SALAD

12 ounces canned tuna, drained
      4 eggs, hard boiled and coarsely chopped
      1/4 cup sugar free sweet pickle relish
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1 tablespoon chives, minced
      Salt and pepper, to taste

Mix well and chill before serving. Makes 4-8 servings

Per 1/4 recipe: 264 Calories; 16g Fat; 27g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 recipe: 176 Calories; 11g Fat; 18g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 recipe: 132 Calories; 8g Fat; 14g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

genaw.com/lowcarb/tuna_salad.html

• SANTA FE CHICKEN SALAD

SANTA FE CHICKEN SALAD

1/2 cup mayonnaise
      Dash garlic powder
      1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
      Dash pepper
      Salt, to taste
      1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

2 cups diced cooked chicken
      1 stalk celery, sliced very thin
      1/2 green or red pepper, in 1-inch matchsticks, 2 ounces
      1 green onion, sliced diagonally

Mix the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, blending well with dressing, and chill several hours.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 recipe: 344 Calories; 27g Fat; 21g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 recipe: 230 Calories; 18g Fat; 14g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

This is pretty spicy. The smoky flavor of the chipotle chile powder is what makes this special, but you could cut back on the amount if it's too hot for you.

genaw.com/lowcarb/santa_fe_chicken_salad.html

• TACO SALAD

1 pound ground beef
      1 1/2 tablespoons Seasoning for Tacos here
      12 ounces iceberg lettuce, chopped
      1 small tomato, diced, 3 ounces
      3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
      6 tablespoons sour cream
      6 tablespoons salsa (1 tablespoon per serving)
      3/4 cup guacamole (2 tablespoons per serving)

Brown the hamburger; drain off fat. Stir in the seasoning mix, Taco Bell taco sauce and a little water, if desired. Divide all ingredients among 6 large plates.

Makes 6 servings

Per Serving: 280 Calories; 21g Fat; 18g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This is an all-time favorite and I make it often.

genaw.com/lowcarb/taco_salad.html

• MY FAVORITE COLESLAW

MY FAVORITE COLESLAW

1/2 medium cabbage, finely shredded, about 1 pound*
      1 ounce piece of carrot, shredded along with the cabbage (for color)
      1 cup mayonnaise
      1/4 cup Splenda or 1/2 teaspoon liquid Splenda
      2 tablespoons white vinegar
      1/4 teaspoon celery seed
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the mayonnaise, Splenda, vinegar and seasonings in a large bowl. Mix in the cabbage and carrot, stirring to coat well. Chill several hours before serving.

TIP: It may not look like the sauce will be enough to coat that much cabbage. It will be plenty, as you'll see after it has chilled a few hours. An easier way to get the sauce evenly mixed into the slaw is to put about 1/3 of the cabbage in a large bowl and blend in all of the sauce. Now add another 1/3 of the cabbage and mix well, then repeat with the remaining cabbage.

Makes about 10 servings

Per Serving: 176 Calories; 18g Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This has been my favorite non-low carb slaw recipe for many years. The number of servings is just a guess, but you should get about 10 small servings or so. The whole recipe has about 30 carbs so if you get a different number of servings, just adjust your count.

* Or buy the pre-shredded coleslaw mix and omit the carrot

genaw.com/lowcarb/my_favorite_coleslaw.html

• MAURICE SALAD

MAURICE SALAD

2 ounces Iceberg lettuce, chopped
      1 ounce Swiss cheese, julienned
      1 ounce ham, julienned
      1 ounce cooked turkey or chicken, julienned
      2 tablespoons Maurice Salad Dressing

Toss all ingredients together. Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 347 Calories; 26g Fat; 23g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

MAURICE SALAD DRESSING
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
      1 hard boiled egg, chopped
      1 tablespoon onion, chopped
      1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
      1/4 cup oil
      1 ounce sugar free sweet pickle, diced, about 1/4 cup
      1/2 cup sour cream
      1 teaspoon chives, minced
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 tablespoon parsley, chopped

Place first 7 ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and pulse just until combined. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Per 2 Tablespoons: 134 Calories; 14g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs
      Per 1/4 Cup: 267 Calories; 29g Fat; 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

Back when J.L. Hudson's department store used to be in Detroit Michigan, they served this salad in their restaurant. I haven't had theirs since I was a kid, but this version is pretty good. This copycat recipe was also quite often served at family bridal and baby showers. I used deli sliced lunchmeats in mine, but I think it would be even nicer with regular ham and grilled or roasted chicken breast.

genaw.com/lowcarb/maurice_salad.html

• GARDEN CHICKEN (or tuna) SALAD

GARDEN CHICKEN SALAD

2 cups diced cooked chicken
      8 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
      4 ounces cucumber, diced, about 1/2 medium
      1-2 green onions, sliced, or 2 tablespoons chopped chives
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      1/4 teaspoon dill, or to taste
      1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
      Salt, to taste
      2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, optional

Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Mix all ingredients and chill several hours before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 recipe: 283 Calories; 24g Fat; 15g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 recipe: 189 Calories; 16g Fat; 10g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

I got the idea for this salad from a pasta salad I used to make. The only change was to leave out the pasta. This is also good with tuna instead of chicken. You'll need two or three 6-ounce cans of tuna. Also, if you can afford the extra carbs, this is nice with even more grape tomatoes. I bought a pint of them and decided to use them all.

genaw.com/lowcarb/garden_chicken_salad.html

• BLT CHICKEN SALAD

BLT CHICKEN SALAD

Per serving:
      1 boneless chicken breast, grilled
      4 ounces leaf lettuce, chopped, about 2 cups
      1/2 small tomato
      1/2 ounce Swiss cheese, julienned
      1-2 crisp pieces bacon, crumbled
      1/2 hard boiled egg, sliced in half
      2 tablespoons Ranch dressing
      Dash pepper
      Pinch fresh parsley, chopped, optional

Grill the chicken; slice thinly. Arrange lettuce on a large plate. Top with chicken and remaining ingredients.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 475 Calories; 31g Fat; 42g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

Optional ingredients (not included in carb count):

* Sliced cucumber
      * Minced chives
      * Slivered green peppers
      * Sunflower kernels

genaw.com/lowcarb/blt_chicken_salad.html

• DANA'S UNPOTATO SALAD

DANA'S UNPOTATO SALAD

Small-medium fresh cauliflower, about 3 cups cut up
      1 cup celery, chopped, about 4 stalks
      1 cup red onion, chopped, about 4 ounces or one small-medium onion
      1 cup mayonnaise
      2 tablespoons cider vinegar
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon granular Splenda
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      4 hard boiled eggs

Cut cauliflower into bite-size pieces and place in a large casserole. Add 1 tablespoon water; cover and microwave on HIGH about 6-7 minutes, stirring after half the time. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes then drain and return to casserole. Stir in celery and onions. In a small bowl, mix all remaining ingredients except eggs; pour over cauliflower and mix well. Peel and cut eggs into large chunks. Gently stir into salad so you don't break up the yolks too much. Chill well before serving.

Makes 8 servings

Per Serving: 263 Calories; 25g Fat; 5g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs

This is a slight adaptation of Dana Carpender's recipe that can be found in her "500 Low-Carb Recipes" book page 227. I thought that 2 cups of mayonnaise would have been way too much dressing so I cut all of the dressing ingredients in half. There was more than enough dressing using half. I also used less celery, but kept the amount of onion and eggs the same as Dana's recipe called for. Since my cauliflower was probably a little smaller than Dana's, I'm figuring to get about 8 servings rather than 12. This is very good and may be my new favorite faux potato salad. Also, Dana's carb counts are much too low. There are actually a little more than double the amount per serving that she states.

genaw.com/lowcarb/unpotato_salad.html

• CAULI-SLAW

12 ounces fresh cauliflower, grated, about 1/2 medium head
      1 ounce carrot, shredded, 1 small
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      2 tablespoons Splenda or 1/8 teaspoon liquid Splenda
      1 tablespoon white vinegar
      1/8 teaspoon celery seed
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      Dash pepper

Mix all ingredients and chill several hours before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 recipe: 228 Calories; 22g Fat; 2g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 recipe: 152 Calories; 15g Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

I have had to give up eating cabbage due to digestion problems, but I love coleslaw. I thought I'd try making my usual coleslaw recipe, but substitute grated cauliflower for the cabbage and it worked great. Now I can enjoy coleslaw again. I don't know why I never thought of doing this before.

genaw.com/lowcarb/cauli_slaw.html

• HELEN'S "POTATO" SALAD

HELEN'S "POTATO" SALAD

16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower
      4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
      2 stalks celery, chopped
      3 green onions
      3 tablespoons yellow mustard
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      2 tablespoons dill pickle relish, optional
      1/8 teaspoon celery seed, optional
      1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
      1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
      Pinch dill (I leave this out)

Cook the cauliflower until soft, but not mushy; drain well. Cool, then cut in small pieces. Mix the mustard with the mayonnaise, then mix all ingredients into the cauliflower. Chill at least 2 hours.

Makes 6-8 servings

Per 1/6 recipe: 215 Calories; 19g Fat; 7g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/8 recipe: 161 Calories; 14g Fat; 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

The more I make this salad, the more I like it. It's perfect with burgers and other "summertime" food.

genaw.com/lowcarb/helens_potato_salad.html