Low Carb Egg Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Jerusalem Artichoke & Pumpkin Frittata!- can you say yummo?

Originally posted by Rebecca

Jerusalem Artichoke & Pumpkin Frittata!

Okay so I work in a fruit and veg shop, so we get recipe cards in all the time. i always go through them eagerly for some nice low carb recipes and i do believe ladies and gents i have hit the jackpot! So without further adieu, i give you jerusalem artichoke and pumpkin frittata!

Ingredients: (how i do it!)

2 tbs olive oil (need a little more to grease)
      500g of butternut pumpkin cut into 2cm cubes.
      250gs of jerusalem artichokes cut into 2cm cubes.
      2 rashers of bacon (optional)
      6 large eggs
      1/3 cup of cream
      2/3 cup of parmesan cheese (i've used cheddar as well and prefer that over parmesan, but thats personal choice)
      thyme leaves (i used mixed herbs)
      salt and black pepper to taste

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180degrees. Grease a baking dish or pie plate with oil (not the allocated 2tbs)

2. Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pumpkin and artichokes and cook, stir occassionally. I wait until they are soft and havea cooked outside if you get what i mean. That usually takes about 15minutes. When cooked drain on paper towel and spoon into the greased dish. Place bacon that has been cut into strips over the vegies

3. Whisk the eggs, cream, cheese and herbs together ina mixing bowl and pour over the vegetables.

4. Bake in oven for 35-40minutes. I find it usually takes about 45.

5. Eat, enjoy and wish for more!

Recipe card says serves 4, but i debate that! they would be huggggge serves, i say about 6- and thats a good sized chunk!

Notes: On the original recipe card it says 1kilo of butternut pumpkin but i find that waaaay too excessive! 500grams is HEAPS and keeps the carbs down alot!

jerusalem artichokes for anyone who doesnt know look very nugget like, almost like ginger, but they taste nothing like that.. if i had to describe the flavour i would say nutty?? i don't know but they are yummo! We sell them at my work for $4.99 a kilo so it is not too bad! may be a little hard to find though.

Dietclub.com.au says that for the 250g of artichokes its 7.5 carbs! so they are definately us lc'ers friend!

i really urge anyone to try this it is absolutely yummo! and can be eaten for up to 3 days. i make it up and take it to work, and for my work friends who also think its great!

give it a go! you won't be dissapointed!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Ricotta Herb Cakes

Originally posted by moonstruck

Ricotta Herb Cakes

400g Ricotts
      25g freshly grated parmesan cheese
      2 eggs, beaten
      6 Shallots, trimmed and finely chopped
      1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
      1 tablespoon splenda
      salt and pepper

preheat oven to 190 (375f)

Beat together the ricotta, parmesan, eggs, shallots, basil, Splenda and a little salt and pepper o taste until evenly combined..
      Spoon into muffin pan, (or tupperware's muffin form)smooth the surface and bake for 25 minutes until set..

Allow to cool and serve with a rocket salad..
      makes 7

This recipe was in the New Idea this week with an entry form to win tupperware's Muffin form...it can be used in the microwave or oven up to 220 degrees ..to win you need to fill out the entry form and submit your favourite splenda recipe....

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1997
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Devilled Eggs

Originally posted by sambalam

Devilled Eggs

this is the basic version my nanna always makes:

6 eggs, hard boiled
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1/2 tsp dry mustard
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp pepper
      1/4 tsp paprika

Peel the eggs and cut each in half the long way. Pop all of the yolks into a mixing bowl and add in the mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well with a fork and put mixture back in eggs. Sprinkle the paprika on top.

you can use curry instead of mustard or add herbs and pepper.

• Blushing Eggs

Originally posted by Sherrie

Blushing Eggs

2 hard-boiled eggs
      1 ounce cream cheese, softened
      1 ounce canned tomato puree
      3/4 teaspoon mayonnaise
      1/4 butterhead lettuce, shredded

Directions:
      Cut eggs in half lengthwise and scoop out yolks and mash. Combine yolks, cheese, tomato purée and mayonnaise in a bowl. Beat well to give a soft piping consistency, adding more mayonnaise if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pipe mixture back into egg whites. Serve on a bed of lettuce.

Nutrition information per serving:
      Calories: 78
      Fat: 6.2
      Cholesterol: 127mg
      Protein: 4.3g
      Carbohydrate: 1.3g
      Fiber: 0.2g
      Sodium: 59

• Bacon Deviled Eggs

Bacon Deviled Eggs

12 Eggs
      1 pound bacon
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
      1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions:
      Cut the bacon into one-inch pieces. Put the bacon in a pan and cook on high stirring frequently. When the bacon is brown and crisp, drain it on paper towels and cool. Put in a plastic bag and you have real bacon bits to use on eggs, salads, in quiches, etc.

Put the eggs in a heavy pan and cover them with cold water. Heat on medium high until the water boils. Remove the eggs from the heat, cover, and wait 25 minutes. Pour off the water, shake the eggs in the pan to crack the shells, then fill the pan with cold water.

Peel the eggs under cold running water. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Put the yolks in small bowl and the whites on a plate. Mash the yolks with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and Dijon mustard to the mashed yolks. Mix thoroughly.

Fill a pastry bag with the yolk mixture and pipe it into the egg whites. Top with the cooked, crumbled bacon.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Keeps several days in the refrigerator.

Nutrition Facts per Serving:
      Calories 177
      Total Fat 16g
      Calories from fat 79.3%
      Cholesterol 112mg
      Protein 9g
      Total Carbohydrate - trace
      Dietary Fiber - trace
      Sodium 366mg

• Ham Stuffed Eggs

Ham Stuffed Eggs

Six hard-cooked eggs
      3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
      2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
      2 to 3 tablespoons finely minced ham
      Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions:
      Peel eggs and cut each egg in half. Remove the yolks and mash with mayonnaise and mustard. Stir in ham until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fill each egg white half with mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled.

Recipe makes six servings.

Nutrition Facts per Serving:
      Calories 142.6
      Total Fat 13.2g
      Protein 4.9g
      Total Carbohydrate 1.7g
      Fiber 0g

• Spinach and fetta puffy omelette..

In the Sunday Times Magazine this week, there were three recipes by Donna Hay..Cooking in a pan..all look pretty good...

Spinach and fetta puffy omelette..

30g butter
      150g baby spinach leaves
      2 tspns grated lemon rind
      1 green onion sliced
      7 eggs seperated
      1/2cup grated cheddar cheese
      2 tblspns shredded basil leaves
      100g fetta cheese, crumbled..

preheat oven to 220..Melt half butter in a large ovenproof non stick frypan over medium heat. Add spinach,garlic,lemon and green onion..cokk for 2minutes or until the spinach is wiltered.
      Place the spinach mixture in a bowl and set aside..
      Wisk the egg whites to a firm peak..Stir the egg yolks, cheese and basil through the spinach mixture..Addthe beaten egg white and gently fold through the spinach until it is all combimned..Add the remaining butter to the frying pan and melt over high heat..
      Add the souffle mixture, top with the fetta, cook for 2 minutes..
      Place the frying pan in the oven and cook for 8-10minutes or until puffed and golden..serves 2...

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1906

• Breakfast in a pan..

Breakfast in a pan..

2 rashes of bacon
      5 cherry tomatoes
      3 mushrooms halved
      1 tspn oil
      2 eggs
      sea salt and crackedpepper
      1 tsp flat-leaf parsley leaves.

Preheat a small non stick frying pan over high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes.. Add the tomatoes , mushrooms, and oil gently cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Lightly beat the eggs, salt, pepper and pour into the pan around the bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms.
      Sprinkle with parsley and cook for 3 minutes or until eggs are set..Serves 1

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1906

• Zucchini Muffins

Originally posted by sambalam

zucchini muffins

i am getting 3 zucchinis off my plant a day so i came up with these. they are good for snacks or brekkie

1 medium onion minced (or if you want lower carbs, use 3 spring onion chopped really finely)
      2 rashers bacon chopped
      450g zucchini grated
      6 eggs beaten
      100ml cream
      herbs to taste (i added basil and thyme)
      50g cheese grated

Put zucchini into colander and salt, leave to drin, press out water. You may have to drain again and press out water a second time.
      Fry the onion until crispy and then add the onion or spring onion and fry quickly. Add cream and herbs to eggs, mix and season with salt and pepper if desired. Add bacon, onion and zucchini to egg mixture and miz thoroughly. Pour into greased muffin tray and top with grated cheese. Bake at 180-200 degrees for about 20 mins or until egg is set and cheese is bubbly and brown.

Carbs with Onion 15g total
      Carbs with spring onion 12.5g total
      i got 9-10 muffins

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=1843

• Tuna and asparagus bake

This is so easy and lovely hot or cold..

Tuna and asparagus bake

large can tuna drained
      340g can drained asparagus spears
      2 cups grated cheese
      1/2 cup cream
      3 eggs

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
      Place drained tuna in square casserole, spread asparagus spears over tuna.
      Beat eggs add cheese and cream, mix together and pour over tuna and asparagus..
      cook for 45minutes until top a golden brown...

• TUNA OR SALMON MUFFINS

Originally posted by ladybird
      TUNA OR SALMON MUFFINS

Three 6oz cans tuna or salmon , well drained
      3 eggs
      1/4 cup celery chopped fine
      1/4 cup green pepper , chopped fine
      3 tablespoons onion , chopped fine
      salt and pepper to taste .
      6 ounces grated cheese .

Mix all ingredients and spoon into WELL greased muffin tin .

Bake for 30 minutes , oven 350

Makes 12 ( 1 carb each )

I made them and they are good to have in the fridge for a snack .

I added some parsley , as love the stuff plus I am growing it .

lady bird

• Originally posted by Cazza
      Just made a delicious breakfast and wanted to share it with you. Not sure of any counts but i'm sure its ok :)

ZUCHINNI AND BACON OMELETTE

1 Rasher of bacon sliced
      Half zuchinni
      teeny bit of minced garlic
      drizzle of olive oil
      cracked black pepper
      2 eggs
      cheese

Fry bacon in olive oil.
      Add zuchinni (I just use a potato peeler and peel it straight into frypan).
      Add garlic.
      Sprinkle with pepper
      Cook till brownish.
      Add beaten eggs and let uncook mixture run underneath.
      Sprinkle cheese on top.

LOVELY :D

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1727

• I should put this here too, check out the Low carb easy eggs thread for discussion on it:
      Hey I was reading a hint on an easy way to make eggs, so that they cook whilst you get kids ready, use little dishes etc...

All you do is preheat oven to 180C, get out some ramekin dishes, melt a bit of cococut oil or butter in them, wack a couple of eggs in them, a dollop of cream on top,season it then chuck in the oven untill the yolks are how you want them to be. You could add other variations to it like the ham and eggs cups, like a spinkle of parmesean cheese on top, slice of tomatoe or spinach on bottom, some mushroom etc...

How easy is that? You could do enough for every body all in the one go, let them cool for a few minutes then serve as is!

I just made some for lunch and they were yum!!!

What I did was melted a dob of butter in the ramekin, greased the sides with it using a pastry brush, cracked open an egg in there, put some cheedar cheese on it, cracked another egg, added some more cheese a dollop of cream, then I seasoned it and sprinkle with parmesean cheese (the fine type) and wacked in the oven. Came out bubbling with a golden top, was great

What I reckon would be really really good is to make them in layers with some butter, ham, spinach leaf, 1 egg, leek, mushroom, cheddar, slice of tomatoe, cream, seasoning and parmesean.

An organic bakery near here does it but in a pastry like a pie, it is the best pie you will ever have:)

• Fried Mushroom, Onion and Tomato Omelette

Garry made this really yummy omelette yesterday so I thought I'd share. What he did was lightly fried up some mushroom, tomato , onion and a little garlic in some butter then seasoned it and kept it warm while he made up a basic omelette. When the omelette was ready he served it on a plate, sprinkled some grated cheddar cheese (we use one with lots of bite), then the fried onion etc and finally a good generous sprinkle of flat leaf parsley.

It might not sound like much but it was a really good flavour combo, the fried onion really made it for me where he swore by the parsley, give it a try it is really yummy and simple!

• Leek and Spinach Quiche

I made this last night:

Leek and Spinach Quiche

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: fixed url ().

• Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Found this recipe this morning. The photo and original recipe are located here
      cuisine.com.au/recipe/School-prawn-thyme-and-rocket-frittata

Prawn, thyme, and rocket fritatta
      This is a quick, single-serve frittata and can be made almost as quickly as a pancake.

Ingredients:
      extra virgin olive oil
      two eggs
      salt and pepper
      dozen or so cooked and peeled school prawns
      two or three chopped sprigs of thyme
      roughly sliced rocket leaves

Method:
      Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a skillet until it is just smoking. Beat two eggs lightly, season with salt and pepper and pour into the pan. The frittata should spread over the pan quite thinly and only take a minute to cook. Remove from heat and distribute a dozen or so cooked and peeled school prawns onto the egg. Sprinkle two or three chopped sprigs of thyme on top.

To serve:
      Transfer to a plate - it should slide easily out of the pan with the help of a fish slice - and finish with roughly sliced rocket leaves.