Low Carb Egg Recipes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Egg Recipes

I just realised whilst doing all this sorting that we have heaps of egg recipes that don't fit into other categories (lost counts how many I have skimmed over already).

So I'm making an eggs thread for egg dishes, which I will add to when I can.

(will work on an index soon, in the mean time here's a new recipe posted by one of our members that prompted me to add an index)

Low Carb Egg Recipes

Asian omelette - oven baked

Low Carb Pizza lovers - deep dish pizza - yum

mini philly frittatas- so good!

Sun-Dried Tomato Deviled Eggs

Tasty scotch eggs
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: index ().

• Pizza lovers - deep dish pizza - yum.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1025

Originally posted by ozgal
      Hi everyone,

I saw this on another board and made some slight variations. Taste pretty good and would be a great standby when the rest of your family is eating regular pizza.

I had 2 serves to myself and divided the rest between my husband, two sons and their friend.....they laughed at the size of their serve - but enjoyed the dish! Unfortunately I thought they would be out on a Saturday night but they all stayed in so ended up eating my new recipe.

Hope you all enjoy. It's very simple to make and 2 portions with a good mixed salad would make a nice brunch or lunch for one person.

Here it is then!

Deep Dish Pizza

Serves 6.

Philadelphia cream cheese, 120g
      Egg,Whole,Raw,4 medium egg (55-64g)
      Cheese, Parmesan, 1/4 cup (grated)
      oregano spice, 1/4 tsp
      Cheese, Mozzarella 1.5 cups (shredded)
      pizza sauce (Ardmona 140g tub)
      Extra cheese, Mozzarella, 3/4 (shredded)
      Mushroom, Raw, 50g (diced)
      Salami, hot or mild, 90g (I like it hot and used shaved from deli) Olives, Black, Kalamata, In Brine, Drained, 20g (diced up)

Heat cream cheese in microwave on high for 35 seconds. Lightly beat eggs in separate container and add a little at a time to cream cheese, mixing well (with whisk if possible) so cream cheese does not curdle. Continue till all egg is added and mix is smooth. Add Parmesan and oregano.
      Spray 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray.
      Put 1.5 cups of mozzarella cheese in pan and pour egg mixture over. Use spatula to cover cheese with egg mixture. Bake at 190oC for 30 min. Leave oven turned on.

Remove from oven and spread on pizza sauce, layer with salami, mushrooms and olives. (Add finely diced red pepper if desired). Sprinkle with mozzarella. Return to oven and bake 10-20 mins until bubbly and brown.

Nutrients per serve (6 serves)
      Energy (kJ) 1437.43
      Energy (Cals) 343.39
      Protein (g) 22.96
      Total Fat (g) 26.70
      Carbohydrate (g) 3.18
      Dietary Fibre (g) 0.74
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Sun-Dried Tomato Deviled Eggs

Originally posted by Elizabeth
      I got this recipe from the Atkins recipe site. They are yummy

1 dozen large eggs
      2 tblspns mayonnaise
      1 tblspn sour cream
      2 tspns minced sun-dried tomatoes
      1 tspn Dijon mustard
      1 tspn minced red onion
      1 small garlic clove, minced
      1/4 tspn hot pepper sauce
      pinch salt

Boil eggs. Peel, then halve eggs lengthwise. Transfer yolks to a mixing bowl.
      Mash yolks finely, add mayonnaise and sour cream. Mix together. Fold in remaining ingredients. Spoon filling into egg halves evenly.

Great as a snack or with a salad
      P7.5/F9/C1

• Tasty scotch eggs

*original post was deleted when hacked, lucky I had quoted it here!*

Originally posted by roxy1512
      Hi everyone, here is a really nice recipe I came up with that is easy and quick to eat on the run, Im not sure of the carb count but I have eaten them through induction and have never had an problem. Enjoy!!!!!

500grms mince (either pork, lamb, chicken or beef)
      1 tsp minced garlic
      2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce (low cal would be even better)
      dash of Worcestershire Sauce
      mixed herbs (whatever amount you like, no more that 1 tsp but)
      salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Hard boil 4 eggs and cover each egg in meat mixture and mould to form balls.
      Place on and oven tray at about 220degrees for about 5 minutes just to set the outside. Carefully lift on the rack so as the fat can drip out. Lower heat to about 190degree and cook for about 20 minutes.

Let cool and cut in half, enjoy.:p

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: remove dead url ().

• mini philly frittatas- so good!

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=968

Originally posted by Rebecca
      if you love savoury things you will lovvvve these! I'll jsut copy the recipe straight from the recipe card. it uses 2 tbspns of flour, i don't have a flour alternative here, so i used plain flour, but i'm guessingwith the substitues you guys use it would be fine too! i think that even with no flour it would okay.. ill stop rabbiting on now and get on with it!

MAKES 24 (small)

250g philadelphia cream cheese
      1 small red onion
      80g baby spinach leaves
      60g hot salami finely chopped
      2 tbspns plain flour
      salt and pepper
      2 eggs lightly beaten

the recipe says 100g semi dried tomatoes to place on top and parmesan cheese but i guess thats optional.. i jsut used a little cheddar and mine were good..with the tomatoes i halved the recipe so it should have made 12, then made double servings so it made 6, and i only used 20g of tomatoes which was like 1.7g carbs...

METHOD:
      1. Grease pans, heat oven to 180c
      2. Combine softened philly, onion, spinach, flour and salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir in beaten egg and spoon into pans
      3. Top muffin with tomato and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 180 for 15min or until set and golden. good hot and cold.

i worked it out so each muffin is less than 2g if u make 24, but as i said i doubled the mixture so it came in at about 3.5.. nice for on the run breakfast or lunch with salad

so good! a must try!

• Vegetable Quiche

Originally posted by moonstruck
      Ingredients:
      1 finely chopped onion
      1 finely chopped garlic bud
      3 cups chopped mixed low carb vegetables
      1 & 1/2 cups grated cheese
      3 eggs
      1 cup cream

Directions:
      Cook chopped onion and garlic slowly over low heat
      Add other chopped vegetables. Cook until tender, stirring often.
      Spread 1/2 vegetable mix on bottom of 9" pie pan.
      Spread half of cheese and remaining vegetable mix, then add remaining cheese.
      Combine cream and eggs, and pour over veges and cheese
      Bake in oven 1 hour at 180 degrees, or until browned.

I worked it out to be approximately 16g's of carbs for whole quiche, (this depends on veges used)

Thread here: Vegetable Quiche

• Cheesy Spinach & bacon slice

Originally posted by ladybird
      Cheesy Spinach & bacon slice
      40g butter 1 onion 4 bacon rashes 100g mushrooms

250g packet frozen spinach , 500 carton cottage cheese .

3 eggs lightly beaten , 1 cup (125g ) grated tasty cheese .

Method
      Line a 19cm square cake tin with foil , heat butter , add onion cook until soft , add bacon , mushrooms stiring until bacon is lightly brown . pour in cake tin ( this makes the base ) then squeeze excess moisture from spinach . Combine spinach , cottage cheese , eggs in bowl . spread over bacon mixture . Sprinkle with cheese .

Bake in moderate oven for 40 mins or until firm and lightly brown.

Serve hot or cold .
      I liked it cold with salad better than hot .

Lady bird

• Broccoli Frittata

Originally posted by Kim-Louise
      Serves 6. Great for lunches.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan; add 2 thinly sliced onions, 3 bacon rashers, trimmed of fat and chopped, and 2 crushed cloves of garlic. Cook, stirring until the onion is soft. Add 500g of chopped broccoli, then 2 chopped roma tomatoes, cook, stirring for 1 minute. Beat 8 eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the mixture in the pan; stir until well combined. Cook over a low heat without stirring until the base is browned and firm. Cover the pan handle with foil, place under a hot grill until top is browned and firm. Cut into 6 wedges and serve.

I figure this to be 3 grams of very healthy carbs per serve

• Pumpkin and Chive Frittata

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1725

Originally posted by BloatedBelly

This is really yummy with a salad for dinner or freeze and take for lunch!

Serves :- 6-8

Nutritional Info:
      Serving 6
      Energy - 480kj
      Protein - 7g
      Fat - 6g
      Carb - 7g
      Fibre - 1g

Ingredients:

500gm butternut pumpkin, diced
      2 eggs
      4 egg whites
      1/2 cup thickened cream
      1 small brown onion, diced
      1 red capsicum, diced
      1/4 cup chives, chopped
      salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 170 C
      2. Steam pumpkin in microwave for 7-8 minutes with a little water till just tender. Drain.
      3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and cream.
      4. Add cooked pumpkin, onions, red capsicum and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a round baking dish lined with baking paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes till firm and golden.
      5. Enjoy!!!

• Spinach cheese adn bacon pie

Originally posted by Illana

Spinach and cheese pie

one bunch spinach
      approx 500 gm shredded cheese
      6 eggs
      100 ml milk
      approx 300 gm diced bacon (or lots of walnuts if vegetarian)

grease the covered casserole dish
      heat oven to 200
      rinse spinach, cut into large pieces - about size of the dish
      microwave spinach while damp for around 3-4 minutes on high
      beat milk and eggs
      layer of spinach, then some beaten egg and milk, then cheese then bacon.
      3 layers usually
      top off with extra layer of cheese so cheese topping goes all yummy.

bake in warm oven for 30-40 minutes.
      enjoy!

Freezes well so you can grab it quickly if you get home late. Microwave it to warm it up.

PS ( you can use more or less cheese and bacon if you want - I just like it to be cheesy!)
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Originally posted by Illana
      oops - should have said that I use cream instead of milk now i am on Atkins, and increased the amount of bacon and cheese, reducing spinach a little

Thread here: Spinach, Cheese and Bacon Pie

• Brie and Spinach Frittata

Originally posted by coruba

Brie and Spinach Frittata

3 cups sliced mushrooms
      6 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
      1/4 cup chopped chives
      2 Tablespoons butter
      9 eggs
      1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      dash of pepper
      1/2 cup milk or cream
      6 Tablespoons Brie cheese
      1/4 cup sherry
      3 cups grated jack cheese

Saute mushrooms in butter, lay spinach on top of mushrooms, then add nutmeg and sherry. When spinach is limp, remove from heat. Whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Place mushrooms-spinach in oiled baking dish. Pour eggs on top. Add small chunks of Brie and grated cheese. Top with chives. Bake 45 to 60 minutes at 325 degrees until puffy and golden. Serve immediately.

• Yummo Scrambled Eggs

Originally posted by purplepixie
      apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?p=53118

I was watching a show the other day and the guy made his scrambled eggs like this and they are yum.

Use a non stick pan.
      For each egg add 1 tbsp cream (forget the milk) whisk up but still have some yolk and white showing in the mix. Add bits of broken butter to the egg mix (not in the pan instead). Have the pan on low heat and pour in the mix, mine seems a firmer mix not too sloppy and as the egg starts to cook use a plastic spatula that you use when baking cakes and just push the egg from one side of the pan to the other. He says that when it is still a bit runny take off heat and put on plate but I don't like it runny. He says there is enough heat to finish its cooking.

Any way they taste really nice like this, are l/carb too.:p

:)

• "Blokes" egg recipe - good stuff.

Open fridge
      take out egg tray - place on bench
      close fridge
      open egg tray
      open pot drawer
      remove thing looks like circle
      fill with water
      place on stove
      light stove
      when water boils, insert egg from above
      Remove egg (with utensil) after 5 minutes
      Peel egg
      Eat white bit - leave shell on bench
      Leave kitchen - someone else will clean it for you.
    • Open fridge..take out egg tray - place on bench
      close fridge
      open egg tray
      open pot drawer
      remove thing looks like circle
      fill with water
      place on stove
      light stove
      when water boils, insert egg from above
      Remove egg (with utensil) after 5 minutes
      Peel egg
      Eat white bit - leave shell on bench
      Leave kitchen - someone else will clean it for you.
      LOL, that sounds like my style of cooking :D (except I have to clean up before I can eat...OCD)
    • Sassy Spinach Baked Eggs

Looking for some good egg recipes and found this one which I thought would be good to share:

Sassy Spinach Baked Eggs

4 servings

Cooking spray
      1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
      4 eggs
      1/4 cup chunky-style salsa
      1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
      Sour cream, optional
      Additional salsa, optional

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Evenly coat 4 (6 oz.) custard cups with cooking spray. Press about 1/4 cup spinach into each cup. With back of spoon, make an indentation in center of spinach. Break and slip an egg into each indentation. Top each with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon cheese. Bake until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 20 to 25 minutes. Top with sour cream and/or additional salsa, if desired.

Nutritional information per serving of 1/4 recipe without optional ingredients:
      130 calories, 10g protein, 4g carbohydrate, 8g total fat, 220mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium.

Heaps more good ones too: aeb.org/recipes/low-carb/index.html

• Egg Salad Pinwheels

Egg Salad Pinwheels

(Makes 12 Appetizer Servings)
      Wrap:
      • 1 tablespoon flour
      • 2 tablespoons water
      • 3 eggs, beaten
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt
      • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
      • 1 tablespoon butter

Filling:
      • 2 oz. Neufchatel cheese, softened
      • 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
      • 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
      • 1/4 cup chopped lean cooked ham
      • 2 tablespoons chopped green onion with tops
      • 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
      • Parsley, optional
      • Chopped fresh tomato, optional

Wrap:

In small bowl, beat together flour and water. Beat in eggs, salt, and pepper until well blended. In 12-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet over medium heat, heat butter until just hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Pour in egg mixture, lifting and turning skillet to create a thin even layer. Cook until top is thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Remove from heat. Slide onto cutting board to cool.

Filling:
      In small bowl, stir together cheese, yogurt, egg, ham, onion, and relish until well blended. Evenly spread filling over wrap. Roll as for jellyroll. Place seam-side-down on a platter. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. To serve, cut roll into 12 slices. Place on a platter. Garnish with parsley and chopped tomato, if desired.

Nutritional information per serving of 1/12 recipe without optional ingredients: calories 55, protein 3g, carbohydrate 1g, total fat 4g, cholesterol 79mg, sodium 191mg.

aeb.org/recipes/calendar/2005/egg_salad_pinwheels.htm

• Sweet Omelette

Sweet Omelette

2 eggs beaten with a teaspoon of splenda
      Add 1 tablespoon of cream and tablespoon water. Beat well
      Pour into a butter greased pan and cook when just about cook through add 4 large strawberries and fold over.
      Carbs 5
      I have this for breakfast and makes a nice change

• Desiree’s Crustless Breakfast Quiche

Desiree’s Crustless Breakfast Quiche

1 teaspoon Butter
      1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
      1 cup Cheddar cheese -- grated
      2 teaspoons dried basil
      2 teaspoons onion -- chopped
      3/4 teaspoon paprika
      1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
      4 each eggs
      Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 325 (160c). Butter (or spay with Pam) bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Add cream to a medium saucepan and heat until scalded. Reduce head and stir in grated cheese. When cheese is melted, add basil, onion, paprika, and garlic powder. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Then add one egg at a time and mix in thoroughly until all eggs are used. Salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
      Pour mixture into pie pan, place in oven, and bake until custard is set (45-50 minutes). Serve hot or cold.

• Crustless Spinach Quiche

Crustless Spinach Quiche

1 cup chopped onion
      1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
      1 tbl. veg. oil
      1 pkg. chopped frozen or fresh spinach, thawed
      2/3 cup finely chopped ham
      5 eggs
      3 cups shred Muenster or jack cheese
      1/8 tsp. pepper

In large skillet saute onion and mushrooms in oil until tender.
      Add spinach and ham. Cook and stir until the excess moisture is evaporated.
      Cool slightly. Beat eggs; add cheese and mix well.
      Stir in spinach mixture and pepper; blend well.
      Spread evenly in a greased 9" pie plate.
      Bake at 350°F (175c) for 40-45 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

• Zucchini & Cauliflower Bake

Originally posted by sambalam

Zucchini & Cauliflower Bake

this is really just a quiche, but i love it for breakfast.

Serves 4-6

3 spring onions finely chopped
      1 clove garlic finely chopped
      1 medium zucchini grated and drained.
      3 rashers bacon chopped
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      200g cauliflower chopped finely
      2 medium mushrooms sliced
      100g grated cheese
      4 eggs beaten
      1/2 cup cream
      2 tablespoons grated parmesan

Preheat oven to 180°C. In a frying pan, cook chopped bacon then add onion and garlic and cook slowly over low heat. Drain on paper towel. Lightly brush a casserole or quiche dish with a little oil.

Press as much water from grated zucchini as possible. Mix all the vegetables together, except the mushrooms. Spread ½ the vegetable mixture in the pan then sprinkle ½ the cheese over evenly. Add the remaining half of the vegetable mix, then the remaining cheese. Scatter the mushrooms over the top. Combine the eggs and cream, stir until mixed then pour the mixture over the vegies and cheese. Sprinkle grated parmesan over the top and cook for 1 hour or until set and browned.

Total Meal
      Protein: 91.5g
      Fat: 122g
      Carbohydrate: 13.5g
      Calories: 1513

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1330