Low Carb Ice-Cream

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Ice-Cream

Our low carb ice cream recipe thread with lots of sugar free ice cream recipes suitable for various low carb diets such as Atkins and LCHF (low carb high fat). This was from before I made sub forums for various low carb recipe categories so please make sure to check the desserts and sweets sub forum also as recent ones may not be listed in this thread.

Enjoy :)

[from old thread that was lost]

Originally posted by Deborah

I use a Breville Scoop Factory ice cream maker (available at the Breville factory outlet, Redfern St Redfern approx $70). You will also need a blender.

Basic Vanilla Ice cream (bit boring so needs the flavours below)

2 eggs
      2 teaspoons vanilla escence (real french vanilla is best)
      2 cups thickened cream
      4 sugarine pills & 2 teaspoons of geletin disolved in 100mil hot water

Put all ingredients in the blender and blend till well mixed

refrigerate for min 2 hours
      blend again
      put into frozen bowl of ice cream maker
      process as per ice cream maker instructions and store in freezer. Really good in tuppaware ice block thingies - they come out like paddlepops .
      makes about 1 litre

Chocolate
      add 2 tablespoons of Cadbury Bournville Cocoa to hot water mix

Mocca
      add 2 tablespoons of Cadbury Bournville Cocoa and 3 teaspoons of instant coffee to hot water mix

Jaffa
      add 2 tablespoons of Cadbury Bournville Cocoa and 1 teaspoon of orange oil

Strawberry
      add 2 punnets of strawberries and the juice from 1/2 lemon

Rockmellon
      add 1/2 rockmellon and juice from 1/2 lemon

Blueberry
      add 2 packets of blueberries and a few drops of orange oil [/B]
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: . ().

• Ice Cream Recipie !

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=670

Originally posted by Kosmos
      Ice Cream Recipie

Basic Mix

Ingredients :

300 ml Cream
      1 cup water
      2 eggs
      2 egg yolks
      sweetener to taste
      Vanilla essence

Method

Put cream and water in a heavy based saucepan and heat on LOW till nearly boiling - don't let it boil.

Mix eggs and yolks in a *heatproof* bowl until well combined and add your choice of sweetener until all is smooth.

Take pan off stove and add some of the cream mixture to the eggs (about 3 Tbsp), beat well as the eggs are not supposed to set yet.

Blend the rest of the cream mix into the egg then place bowl above a saucepan of boiling water and whisk well for several minutes until all is thick and glossy, like a custard.

Immediately remove from heat and set bowl in cold water to stop cooking. Keep whisking as the mix cools.

Pour into chilled container and freeze. To get a creamy consistency I take it out of the freezer every half an hour and blend it again to keep the crystals small. I do that about three times. Makes about 6 serves, if you're good :). For variations see below.....

My favourite Ice Cream is the fancy stuff, not plain. So I make it with Coffee as the base and add toasted almonds and cinnamon to it. Or melt some Cadbury Lite into the cream mix and make chocolate. You can add almost any flavour one way or another, but I recommend adding the flavour to the cream mix AFTER you take it off the stove.

Good Luck. Any coments appreciated !
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Dr Atkins Icecream

Originally posted by Funky Monkey
      This is super good! Just before the recipe Dr Atkins writes "Ice cream is a very important part of this diet"- a man after my own heart! The recipe is in two parts, the custard is the basis for all Atkins icecream recipes, so feel free to experiment!

Basic Icecream Custard

6x125ml servings

500ml whipping cream
      4 egg yolks
      1/2 vanilla pod slit open and scraped
      5 tablespoons sugar substitute

Heat cream in a heavy saucepan over a low heat. Whisk in one egg yolk at a time. Add vanilla pod scrapins and whisk until custard begins to thicken. Remove from heat and cool. Once cooled, add extra ingredients to make the type of icecream you want. Apparently, once refrigerated, this base can be used as a dessert by itself, or you can whisk in some brandy.

Without extras- carbs for whole recipe: 20.8, per serve: 3.5

For vanilla...

6 x 125 ml servings

1 basic icecream custard (already prepared)
      1 tablespoon vanilla essence

Prepare custard. While it is cooling, whisk in the vanilla essence. Cool to room temperature. Place in an icecream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions. Or, if like me you don't have an icecream maker, put the custard into an old icecream container of similar and place in the freezer. Wait until the sides of the icecream begin to set and then whisk the mixture until combined. repat this procedure a few times. The more you do it, the smoother the icecream turns out.

Total carbs: 32.2g Per serving 5.4.

It isn't especially low-carb, but I found that the serving is very satisfying.

Source: Dr Atkins New Diet Cookbook- also has chunky chocolate chip and raspberry raptre, to name a couple. One of the most useful cookbooks I've purchased! I'm thinking of ditching the vanilla essence, which must be pretty high in carbs considering the jump from the custard to the complete recipe, and adding some broken pieces of zero-carb chocolate!

• Eggnog Ice Cream Cups

Originally posted by Sherrie
      Eggnog Ice Cream Cups
      Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      Ingredients:
      Two, 4 ounce containers Egg Beaters
      1 cup water
      2 cups heavy whipping cream
      1/3 cup splenda
      1 tablespoon liquid Sweet and Low
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder
      1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
      1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
      Combine all of the above in a blender. When mixed, pour into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer directions for soft serve ice cream.

Spoon ice cream into 12 muffin tins and put a wood stick in each. Freeze.

Notes:
      This freezes very hard and too difficult to manage if you freeze in a container.
      To get out of pan, run some cool water in the sink and set the muffin tin down in it for a couple of minutes. Remove all the ice cream cups and store in plastic bag in freezer.

Nutrition information per bar:
      Protein: 9g
      Carbohydrates: 1.5g

• Originally posted by Sherrie
      Blackberry Ice Cream

Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      Ingredients:
      1-1/2 quart Half n Half
      1 quart heavy whipping cream
      1-1/2 cup Splenda
      6 egg yolks
      1/3 teaspoon salt
      2 tablespoons vanilla extract
      30 ounces fresh blackberries

Directions:
      Mix first five ingredients together; heat to a gentle boil.

Remove from heat and chill.

Add vanilla extract; crank for about 30 seconds then add blackberries and crank until done.

Nutrition information per serving:
      Calories: 201
      Total Fat: 18.7g
      Total Carbohydrates: 6g

Standard Vanilla Ice Cream

Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      Ingredients:
      1 cup heavy cream
      1 cup Half -n- Half
      4 egg yolks
      10 packets Splenda
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1 tablespoon Davinci Sugar Free Vanilla syrup

Directions:
      Note: You can omit the vanilla syrup, leave out if making one of the variations below

Heat cream in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in egg yolks, one at a time. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not let boil. Remove from heat.

Whisk in remaining ingredients. Cool to room temperature. Place mixture in the refrigerator or freezer to cool.

Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to your machine.

VARIATIONS:
      Replace the vanilla extract with other pure extracts.

Chocolate Chip
      Make the vanilla ice cream above plus add chopped up Chocolate Carbolite bars or Atkins Endulge bars.

Mint Chocolate chip
      Make chocolate chip but substitute with 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and add 4 or 5 drops of green food coloring.

Butter Pecan
      Make standard vanilla and when ice cream is almost finished add SF syrup and 1 cup crushed pecans.

Almond Make standard vanilla and substitute almond extract and add 1 cup crushed almonds.

For chocolate syrup, take unsweetened cocoa (approx 2 tablespoons) and a couple packets of Splenda and water. Stir until it is all wet. Microwave for less than a minute. Stir and pour on ice cream and you can top with crushed nuts if desired.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      Rich, creamy and very decadent.

Ingredients:
      2 cups heavy cream
      1 cup Davinci Peppermint Paddy sugar free syrup
      10 drops green food coloring (optional)
      2/3 cup Splenda (or equivalent)
      3 egg yolks
      1 tablespoon lecithin granules
      2 tablespoons glycerin
      1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
      1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil/extract
      1/2 cup sugar free mini chocolate chips

Directions:
      Beat the eggs and add them to the cream. Blended in the Splenda and glycerin.

Mix 1/2 of the Davinci syrup to blend (in a mini food processor) the xanthan gum to a gummy paste, then add it and the remaining 1/2 of the syrup to the mix. Hold back 1/2 cup of the cream and blend the lecithin granules up real well in the mini food processor too, and then add it in to the mix.

Heat the mixture on the stove on medium heat in a saucepan, stirring fairly constantly until it reaches160-180 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Stir in the food coloring and peppermint oil.

Put the whole thing in the freezer, checking it and stir every 30 minutes to prevent a skin and lumps from forming.

After a few hours, put the mixture into an ice cream maker. When the ice cream is nearly as hard as you like, add in the 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips and let it freeze another 10 minutes.

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Low Carbohydrate Recipe

Ingredients:
      3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
      1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
      1 cup Splenda, divided
      3 cups heavy cream
      1 cup half and half or water
      3 egg yolks
      1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      2 tablespoons glycerine
      1 tablespoon liquid lecithin
      1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
      1 low carb Dark Chocolate Bar, or other sugar free chocolate bar, cut up into chip sized pieces

Directions:
      Break chocolate into pieces and chop finely, with serrated knife or food processor.

Combine cream, half and half and chocolate in a medium sized bowl over boiling water until the chocolate is melted, and the mixture almost boils.

Gradually add 1/2 cup of Splenda to this mixture, stir until blended, and reduce heat to low.

In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup Splenda and cocoa powder, and whisk briskly until blended and there are no lumps. Add 4 tablespoons of the warm cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring until combined. Add another 2 tablespoons of the warm mixture, stirring continuously until blended. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture to the warm cream/chocolate mixture, stirring continuously to prevent the eggs from curdling. Cook over the simmering water until slightly thickened and the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 3 - 4 minutes. Cool completely.

When the mixture is cold, stir gently, and pour into freezer bowl. Continue, as per manufacturer's instructions. About five minutes before ice cream is ready, add the cut up chocolate bar.

** NOTE: You may also add 1/2 cup chopped pecans, almonds, macadamias, unsweetened coconut or filberts during the last 5 minutes of processing.

Very Strawberry Ice Cream

Low Carbohydrate Recipe

Ingredients:
      1-1/2 cups strawberries, washed and hulled OR
      1-1/2 cups frozen whole strawberries (no sugar added)
      1-1/2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
      1-1/2 cups half and half
      1 small package sugar free Strawberry Jello
      2 egg yolks
      1/2 cup Splenda
      2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      2 tablespoons gycerine
      1 tablespoon liquid lecithin
      1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Directions:
      Finely chop strawberries. (If using frozen, partially defrost, then chop in food processor when they are soft enough to be pierced with a sharp knife.) This will yield approximately 1 cup of chopped berries. Reserve.

Combine cream and half and half in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture begins to warm, gradually add the Jello, sprinkling a bit at a time over the surface, and continuously whisking until completely blended. When all of the Jello has been added, continue to cook until the mixture almost boils, about 3 - 4 more minutes. Reduce heat to low.

Meanwhile, beat yolks and Splenda in a small bowl until well blended. Add the Vanilla extract, and beat about 1 minute, until smooth. Add 4 - 5 tablespoons of the hot cream to the egg yolks, a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition until combined. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture to the cream mixture, stirring continuously to prevent the eggs from curdling. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 3 - 4 minutes. Place mixture in a covered container and refrigerate overnight. Cool completely. (I cool for 24 hours.) When cool, add reserved strawberries and mix until well combined. Turn the machine on. Pour the strawberry mixture into the freezer bowl, and let mix until mixture thickens, about 20 - 25 minutes.

**Any berries can be substituted for the Strawberries. The key is to make sure you have at least one full cup of chopped berries. You may have to adjust the sweetener, as some berries are more tart than others.

• Sherbet and Iceblocks

Originally posted by Sherrie
      Lemon Sherbet
      Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      Ingredients:
      2 cups heavy cream
      5 tablespoons artificial sweetener
      1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
      4 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:
      Stir cream and Sugar Twin until Twin dissolves. Freeze until mushy.

Remove from freezer and add lemon rind and juice. Beat until smooth.

Freeze again for about 2 hours.

Beat cream once more and freeze until frozen.

Orange Popsicles

Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      True popsicle taste!

Ingredients:
      1 large box sugar free orange jello
      4 cups diet orange soda

Directions:
      Bring 2 cups diet orange soda to a boil in the microwave.

Add to 1 large package sugar free diet jello.

Add 2 cups of cold diet orange soda.

Place in the freezer in ice cube trays or popsicle molds.

Fudgesicles

Low Carbohydrate Recipe
      Tastes just like the ones you ate when you where little!

Ingredients:
      1 package chocolate sugar free instant pudding mix
      3/4 cup heavy cream
      1-1/4 cups water

Directions:
      Mix all ingredients together with wire whisk for 2 minutes.

Pour into either Dixie cups with wooden sticks or popsicle molds.

If you prefer a smoother taste, use more cream to suit your taste.

• Originally posted by shy

I used to have a bit of a 'thing' for barney banana ice creams. Last night I beat 250g of Lite Philly with 1/4 cup of thick cream, 1/4 cup Splenda and some rum flavouring and used some icy pole moulds to freeze. Had one today and yummm!

I only wish I could find banana flavouring. Adding coconut essence would make them Jamaican. Orange brandy flavouring would also be nice, as would lots of other flavours.

This made enough for five huge icecreams (need to get smaller moulds !!). What sort of PFC damage would I be doing here?

shy

Originally posted by shy
      Tried adding the banana jelly... but it did something very weird to the texture.

Best recipe so far is 250g Philly lite, 1/4 cup thick cream, scant 1/4 tsp Stevia, 2tsp brandy flavouring and 1 tsp orange flavouring.

Makes 4 huge icecreams with a rounded up PFC of 6 14 3

• Icypoles etc...

Originally posted by zedgirl

My recipe is sort of an amalgamation of different recipes I’ve found on the web. The chocolate component is an altered peanut butter cup recipe from another forum which I changed to make runnier and less buttery. Each time I make these they are a little different so you may want to experiment. I think the original creamsicle recipe called for a packet of SF jelly and I subbed it with gelatin and DaVinci syrup.

Creamsicles

Icecream
      1 tsp heaped - gelatin
      ¼ cup - DaVinci syrup (I use banana)
      ¼ cup - cold water
      ½ cup - hot water
      ½ cup - thickened cream
      1 tbsp - whey protein isolate (unflavoured)
      70g - cream cheese, softened

Chocolate
      15g - unsalted butter
      15g - unsweetened chocolate
      1 tbsp - peanut butter
      2 tbsp - whipping cream watered down (I can’t remember the proportions)
      7 - Splenda tabs, crushed
      crushed nuts (optional)

Chocolate
      Melt chocolate, butter and peanut butter in microwave. Mix in crushed Splenda tabs, cream and crushed nuts if using (to make it runnier just add more water to the cream). Pour mixture into icy pole moulds and place in freezer to set.

Icecream
      Dissolve gelatin in the hot water. Gradually add dissolved gelatin to cream cheese in small amounts and beat (I use a small whisk) so that you gradually thin down the cream cheese (stops lumps forming). Mix in cream and then cold water, WPI and DaVinci syrup. Pour on top of chocolate in moulds and place in freezer.
      Makes 8 at around 1-2 carbs per serve.

The following is another recipe that I haven’t tried yet.

Fudgesicles

1 cup - water
      1 cup - cream
      1 scoop - WPI, chocolate flavoured
      1 heaped tbsp - cocoa
      sweetener to taste

Mix ingredients well and freeze.
      Makes approx. 8 servings @ 1g carbs per serving.

• Originally posted by coruba
      Coffee Granita

4 cups very strong coffee (I used plunger decaf coffee)
      1 1/2 cups splenda
      Cream

Mix the splenda into the coffee while hot and refrigerate to chill. Add to ice cream maker machine or freeze then blend in a food processor.

To serve, scoop the ice into a mug and pour small out of cream over. Some suggested sweetening cream with splenda or vanilla and beating the cream till fluffy first (I couldn't wait)

Was the BEST summer treat!
      Also was suggested was to mix kahlua and white rum into the cream (hmmm)

• Vanilla Icecream

Originally posted by melvan
      Vanilla Icecream

1/2 cup milk (I just use 1/2 cup water + 2 tablespoons milk powder)
      1 1/2 cups cream
      2 eggs
      3/4 cup Splenda (or equivalent tablets/liquid)
      2 teaspoons vanilla

I mix it all up in the blender & chill for a bit before putting it in the ice cream mixer, but I've also put it straight into the mixer from the blender & not really noticed any difference.

The recipe says 6 servings, but they'd be really small servings. I usually make it 3 servings.

• Re: no machine needed Icecreams

ok not sure where i posted that anyone know the recipe for icecream jaime oliver style
      well anyway found and yummy really lowcarbs too

ok
      5 egg whites, (notsure of carbs in them)
      1 and 1/2 cups of cream
      i used 5 sachets of splender and 1tsp of liquid sweetner
      pinch of cream of tartar
      vanilla essence

ok whip egg whites, whith sweetner and cream of tartar, place in fridge
      whip cream and vanilla till peaks form, now very gently fold in eggwhites. i use my hands a chefs tip cup one hand and fold through, great for sponges ect too., put into a container and freeze for at least 4 hours and yummy. it made the same amount as peters no sugar icecream as thats the container i used to put it in.

of course you can add flavours but add them cold to the cream mixture, as say chockkie, make a ganache and cool slightly and add folded cream first., then egg whites,

now my next trick i will keep you updated im making another chocolate icecream with the eggyolks,,

ok
      5 egg yolks
      sweetner
      2cups of cream
      1/4 cup sugarfree chockie sauce
      1/4 cup of coco
      1 tsp vanilla essence

whisk egg yolks, till pale in colour,
      heat cream till hot, not boiling , slowly drizzle into egg yolks whisking as your going, add chockie sauce and coco amd whip till like a custard, if cream wasnt hot enough you may need to put back on heat, but would advice uusing a doulble boiler,
      as it may curdle. put in freezer till half set, take out whip and put back do this till you get a really nice consitancy, then freeze

The post was edited 2 times, last by sinders: added new icecream recipe ().

• Re: Icecreams

Hello all, These ice creams all sound so good. I thought I'd like to try some of them out but was wondering if anyone would recommend which brand of ice cream maker to buy?
      Are the cheaper ones all right or should I go more heavy duty?

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.
    • Re: no machine needed Icecreams

sinders wrote:

ok not sure where i posted that anyone know the recipe for icecream jaime oliver style
      well anyway found and yummy really lowcarbs too

ok
      5 egg whites, (notsure of carbs in them)
      1 and 1/2 cups of cream
      i used 5 sachets of splender and 1tsp of liquid sweetner
      pinch of cream of tartar
      vanilla essence

ok whip egg whites, whith sweetner and cream of tartar, place in fridge
      whip cream and vanilla till peaks form, now very gently fold in eggwhites. i use my hands a chefs tip cup one hand and fold through, great for sponges ect too., put into a container and freeze for at least 4 hours and yummy. it made the same amount as peters no sugar icecream as thats the container i used to put it in.

of course you can add flavours but add them cold to the cream mixture, as say chockkie, make a ganache and cool slightly and add folded cream first., then egg whites,

now my next trick i will keep you updated im making another chocolate icecream with the eggyolks,,

ok
      5 egg yolks
      sweetner
      2cups of cream
      1/4 cup sugarfree chockie sauce
      1/4 cup of coco
      1 tsp vanilla essence

whisk egg yolks, till pale in colour,
      heat cream till hot, not boiling , slowly drizzle into egg yolks whisking as your going, add chockie sauce and coco amd whip till like a custard, if cream wasnt hot enough you may need to put back on heat, but would advice uusing a doulble boiler,
      as it may curdle. put in freezer till half set, take out whip and put back do this till you get a really nice consitancy, then freeze

OMG THESE ARE SO GOOD, i forgot the cocolate one in freezerm so pulled it out thismorning, and just let it sit for an hour, whiped it back up and presto beuitiful lush chokie icecream, will be making this one again. Ok the Egg White one was nice, too, but set a little hard so you will have to pull out of freezer earlier than you want it, to soften alittle, very very nice though

janal wrote:

Hello all, These ice creams all sound so good. I thought I'd like to try some of them out but was wondering if anyone would recommend which brand of ice cream maker to buy?
      Are the cheaper ones all right or should I go more heavy duty?

Hey Janal I have never made icecream so I have no clue but you can make it manually.

Hi everyone, I've been making my own ice cream lately as I bought the kitchenaid attachement ice cream bowl. Yummy stuff. But it always sets really really hard. We've had to microwave it and leave it out long before we want it.

What makes the ice cream not go solid hard in the freezer???
      "Looking back..it never took that long"
      Me

I have had the same problem with the LC versions I have made myself. I think the sugar keeps it soft. I have an ice-cream maker and while it initially comes out freshly made like Mr whippy, the second we try and freeze it it turns to rocks. It could be something to do with the cream/milk difference as well.

The icy pole idea is fantastic!! I made some rich chocolate ice cream last night but only made the custard batter late in the day so put it in the freezer and it went rock hard. When I put it in the ice cream attachment it stuck to the sides instantly and the bowl wouldn't go around. After numerous times scraping it off the sides and trying to make it spin again it didn't work so I just shoved it back into the freezer and poured two baileys on ice. Not LC I know but it was a sat night treat with our movie. And I had the massive poops with the Ice cream. I was REALLY looking forward to it!! LOL.
      Am going to go and whip up the ice cream again now and maybe once more later to see if that helps it go softer long term too.
      "Looking back..it never took that long"
      Me