Low Carb Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Bread

Dale's WPI Bread

2tsp yeast
      2 tsp sugar
      150 - 160mls warm to hot water
      40mls grapeseed oil
      1 whisked egg
      2 splenda tablets
      1tsp bread improver
      3/4 tsp baking powder
      70g gluten flour
      60g Wheat Protein Isolate
      pinch of salt
      1tbl lecithin granules
      15g ground golden flaxseed meal
      18g unprocessed bran

Put yeast, sugar and water into bread machine pan and leave for approx 10mins to activate.
      In the meantime, put all dry ingredients together in a bown and mix well Put splenda in with the egg and whisk well, then add oil and stir well.
      Add the egg mix to the bread machinde and then the dry ingredients.
      Bake on basic white bread cycle.

Makes approx 380g loaf
      Recipe says that the carb count is 16g per loaf
      You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.
    • Originally posted by sammiejam

i have developed this bread from a friend in miami who was playing with the mock danish recipe

actually the "bread" has a very muffin like consistancy but it is still nice.

the protein powder i used has virtually no taste at all and i put heaps of herbs in it override any lingering taste ( i loath and detest anything soy) I use Life brand soy protein powder, it says natural on the container as opposed to vanilla etc

PJ'S ACCIDENTAL HERB BREAD

200g cream cheese (soften in micro for 20 secs)
      2 eggs
      beat until well no lumps
      1tbs olive oil
      1tsp salt
      pepper to taste
      chopped onion
      mixed italian herbs
      big handful of grated cheese
      enough soy protein to make a dough
      (i made the dough a little to stiff do i added some cream)
      put in a small square container to imitate a loaf (there is not alot of mixture here so a small one is the best)
      microwave for 4 mins or so. Mine looked slightly gluggy in the middle but after standing for about 2 mins that went.

i thinly sliced it, toasted it and had it with scrambled eggs- it was good.

i made mine quite herby as i was scared of any soy taste at all but just do the herbs as you like them in meat sauce.

I wonder how it would be if almond flour was used instead of soy
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Pancakes or flat bread (when cold, without spice)

Originally posted by Kim-Louise

This is my fav. pancake recipe (well the only one that worked really, and much nicer than those you can make with Atkins mix)

In a blender, combine
      4 eggs
      1 cup cottage cheese
      1/3 cup almond meal (Almond flour)
      2 tablespoons splenda (or 4 sachets)
      1 dash vanilla extract
      1 pinch salt
      1 pinch nutmeg
      1 pinch cinnamon

They are soft and a little fragile when they are warm but they chill and firm up nicely. Makes about 12-13 medium sized pancakes.

You could even leave out the cinn. and nutmeg, reduce the splenda and use them as a sandwich roll (like flat bread).

Per serving: 56 Calories; 3g Total Fat; 6g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate;
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=2002

Originally posted by moonstruck
      I found this recipe for bread here

Gabi's Bread
      Does the carb count sound right. Interesting about the sugar being taken up by the yeast and not contributing to the carb count. the final count is 3.5carbs per slice.what do you think?

Originally posted by moonstruck

I hadn't tried the bread because I was having trouble getting the ingredients.
      I finally made a loaf today and it was rather yummy(Ihad the crust as soon as it came out with butter)
      there were three ingredients I substituted they were
      flax seed meal
      oat flour
      coarse unprocessed bran. instead I used
      LSA meal
      oat bran
      Natural unprocessed bran.
      pretty close but I'm not sure what the carb count is now.
      I think a half an hour less in my machine next time.
      The crust was really crunchy but lovely and soft inside.
      I will still look for proper ingredients.

• Tonys Bacon And Cheese Bread

Originally posted by lcgourmet

Fresh of the press, Low Carb savoury bread. great with coffee/tea

URL. Recipe in MC format with picture

carb-lite.au.com/TONYS BACON AND CHEESE BREAD.html

* Exported from MasterCook *

TONY'S BACON AND CHEESE BREAD

Recipe By : Tony Blakemore From an idea in 'The Bushells Cookbook'
      Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:45
      Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Bakery Muffins-Cakes-Savory

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
      -------- ------------ --------------------------------
      90 g butter -- 3oz melted
      1/2 cup half and half -- 50% cream-water
      2 egg yolks -- lightly beaten
      2 egg whites -- beaten to firm peaks
      3/4 cup almond meal -- flour
      1/4 cup soy flour
      1/2 cup gluten, wheat -- flour
      1 1/2 tsp baking powder
      1/2 small onion -- grated
      1/2 cup bacon -- grilled & crumbled
      3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
      1 tbsp olive oil

Pre Heat oven to 360°F-180°C .
      Grease or Non Stick Spray a 23cm - 9' loaf pan
      In a medium sized bowl sift and mix the flours and baking powder.
      You can sift the dry ingredients a few times if you have time.It aerates the flours.
      Add the bacon and cheese. Mix well
      In another bowl mix the wet ingredients. ( Less the Eggs Whites)

Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
      Use a folding motion, gradually adding the liquids, until the mix has a muffin like consistency. (Do not over mix)
      You may not have to use all the liquids.
      Fold Egg Whites into mix. Do not overmix. A little white showing is alright

Spoon into pan and bake for 20-30 minutes.
      Check at 20 minutes by inserting a dry knife into bread.
      If it comes out dry switch of oven and leave bread to cool down in oven for 10 minutes or so.
      Remove bread from the oven and allow tin to cool before turning bread on to rack to cool.

Leave at least two hours before cutting.
      You will get 16-20 slices 110x40x10mm - 4-1/4x1-1/2x1/3' thick.

Serve toasted, grilled, fried or as is. Accompany soups, stews, bacon & eggs, mushrooms etc.

From an idea in 'The Bushells Cookbook'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The AUSSIE Low Carb Gourmet Tony Blakemore 2002
      e-mail Tony @carb-lite.au.com
      web site carb-lite.au.com
      Over 2,500 Low Carb, LC Diabetic, LC Kosher Recipes

• Gabi's Bread

Originally posted by claref

Gabi's Bread
      Just a few points on making the bread:
      * I substitute ground LSA or/& almond meal for flax seed meal
      * I didn't add "baby bottle warm" water to the yeast - just place the moist ingredients in the bread maker pan - then place the dry ingredients on top, yeast last
      * use a 6g pkt of yeast
      Total Carbs for the loaf = 56g, so just divide the number of slices you cut, to determine the number of carbs per your slice.
      Good luck :D

• Yummy oven baked bread

Yummy Oven Baked Bread

Originally posted by sambalam

i didn't expect this to work out (i am baking challenged:D ). i have been hanging for some bread. if i can do this, anyone can!!

1 1/4 cups gluten flour
      1/2 cup oat bran
      1 tablespoon yeast
      1 cup warm water
      1 tablespoon sugar
      2 tablespoon Splenda (or two tablets crushed) *optional, you don't have to use it*
      2 tablespoon olive oil
      1 teaspoon salt

Put yeast and sugar in a bowl, add warm water (the yeast 'eats' the sugar so it isn't counted as carbs). While yeast is proofing, mix dry ingredients together. Then add yeast/water/sugar mixture and oil. Mix wet and dry ingredients lightly, turn onto board and knead very gently for 1 minute or less, just enough to make sure everything is mixed together - but don't knead too much. Place dough in clean bowl and put in warm, draft free place (I sat mine in front of the heater) for 40 mins. The dough should have risen about twice its original size. Place into greased loaf tin, cover with tea towel then put back in warm place again for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 C. Bake for 30-40 mins (mine took 60 but I have an old, gas oven) Turn onto wire rack. Will slice when warm, but is easier if you allow to cool completely before slicing or put into freezer until half frozen then slice.

NB: I didn't knead the dough for long or too vigorously, as I have read that the gluten flour won't rise well if it is handled too much. Don't knead after it has risen. The bread will sink a little after it is baked, if anyone has some tips how to keep the bread from sinking, can you share with a baking ignoramus please? The bread is slightly chewy but tastes fine and toasts well.

Total Carbs: 56g
      I had 20 slices, which is 2.8 carbs per slice.

(had egg on toast for brekkie, yummmmmmmmm)

• Breadmaker recipes

Originally posted by Sherrie

Cazza there is tons and tons of LC bread maker recipes on the internet.

I remember when I first started this diet and got quite annoyed at only being able to find good recipes for a breadmaker.

Heres some I found in my bookmarks:

carb-lite.au.com/61BAKERY/61BAKERYBread%20Machine.html

lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-breads.html

lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bin/rec…egory=Breads+and+Pastries

Hmm just found a really good link in my bookmark for heaps of LC resources, will post in getting started thread.

• For breadmachines...

i found this recipe today:

1/2 cup water -- warmed
      1/2 cup cream
      1 tablespoon oil
      1 large egg
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 cup gluten flour
      1 cup oat flour (ditto)
      2 teaspoons yeast
      1 teaspoon sugar (to feed the yeast)

To your bread machine add the ingredients in the order given above.
      Use the dough setting and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees

60 carbs and 196 protein per loaf. Makes 15 slices, 4 per slice.

maybe that will work for you cazza!

• Rolls (Sam's altered bread recipe)

Originally posted by dmwalsh

Rolls (Sam's altered bread recipe)

1 cup gluten flour
      1/4 cup of soy flour
      1/2 cup oat bran
      1 tablespoon yeast
      1 cup warm water
      1 tablespoon sugar
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      1/2 teaspoon salt

Put yeast and sugar in a bowl, add warm water (the yeast 'eats' the sugar so it isn't counted as carbs). While yeast is proofing (15 minutes) mix dry ingredients together (I sifted the flours together). Then add yeast/water/sugar mixture and oil. Mix wet and dry ingredients lightly, turn onto board and knead very gently for 1 minute or less, just enough to make sure everything is mixed together - but don't knead too much - I roll mine into a long sausage -. Place dough in clean bowl or tray and cover with glad wrap and tea towel and put in warm, draft free place (I put mine out in the car but not in direct sun light) for 1-2 hours. The dough should have risen about twice its original size. Cut sausage into rolls and place onto greased baking paper lined oven tray. Preheat oven to 180 C. Bake for around 15-20 minutes - turn onto wire rack.

regards
      Denise

• Pita/Pizza Base/Tortillas

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1368

right guys, i tried this out over the weekend and i am so stoked with the results:
      Makes 3 pitas/tortillas/pizza bases

20 grams hi protein flour
      50 grams gluten flour
      pinch salt
      2 tsp xanthan gum
      1/2 tsp baking powder
      1/3 cup water

Mix dry ingredients first, then added water slowly. The dough should be quite soft and a little sticky to touch in the bowl. Place dough onto a very well floured board (soy flour) to roll out. You need to roll the dough in the flour as well, or it will stickt to the rolling pin. You can use baking paper to make it easier, but you still have to flour the dough.
      Pitas: divide dough into 3 round pieces and roll each out until roughly 1 - 1.5 cm thick. Grill on both sides until brown. Put in microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes on high. Pita will puff up. Remove from microwave and slit one end with a knife (be careful of steam). Fill with what evever you like.
      Tortillas/Pizza base: divide dough into 2 and roll out until desired thickness. I baked these ones until cooked (10 mins). Top with whatever you like and cook as pizza. Fold/roll filled with whatever you like for tortillas (they must be warm to fold)

Righto sorry about the delay in getting this up here, and I am sorry too that I unfortunately got the carb count wrong :mad: but the label on my protein flour was a bit misleading. anyway i got to the bottom of it and am working on getting the carb count lower.
      Total:
      Protein 86g
      Fat 4.5g
      Carbs 29.5
      Cals 490

Per Serve:
      Protein 28g
      Fat 1.5g
      Carbs 9.5g
      Cals 163

• Dales WPI Bread

This is the recipe I use Jo.
      This is half of the original recipe as I found the full went over the top.
      On the first rise, this bread rises happily to the top of the bread but unfortunately still results in a small'ish loaf as the end product...not sure how to get around this (maybe more gluten flour?).
      I dont use the flaxseed meal anymore and just use veg oil (dont want a trillion ingredients in my cupboard) and replace the meal with more gluten flour.
      You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.
    • Zucchini Nut Bread

Originally posted by starter

Zucchini Nut Bread

I adapted this from Atkins and it tastes fantastic, I have it for Breakfast or if I need a snack.

1 Cup Soya Flour *edit by Sherrie* (Replace with Gluten flour, soya = bad!)
      1 Cup Almond Meal
      1/3 - 1/2 Splenda (depends on hoe sweet you want it)
      2 teaspoons cinnamon
      1 Teaspoon baking Soda
      1 Teaspoon baking Powder
      1/3 cup oil
      4 Eggs
      1 Zucchini grated
      1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix dry ingred
      Wisk wet ingred
      Mix both together

Put in greased loaf tin and bake at 180C for 30mins untill cake tester comes out clean.

Slice into thin slices and wrap in glad wrap and put in freezer untill needed.

Is good by itself either cold or warm or I like it with a bit of butter.

Enjoy

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=503

• EGG CREPES OR NOODLES

EGG CREPES OR NOODLES

3 eggs
      2 tablespoons heavy cream
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      Pinch pepper

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour a 3 tablespoons of the egg mixture into a hot buttered 7-8" skillet and swirl around until mixture coats the bottom of the pan. Cook until eggs are set but not browned. Flip and lightly cook other side. Use as crepes in recipes or cut into strips to make "noodles".

Makes 4 crepes or 4 servings

Per Serving: 82 Calories; 7g Fat; 5g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

I made these to use in Nancy's Easy Chunky Chicken & Vegetable Soup. They do look a lot like egg noodles, but they taste like eggs. If you like egg drop soup, you will most likely like them in your soup. I recommend cutting them a little thinner and smaller than I did. I thought mine were a little too big. I haven't tried using these as crepes yet, but bear in mind that they will taste more "eggy" than regular crepes.

UPDATE: I've adjusted the recipe to make 4 thinner crepes now that I know that they come out a little too thick as only 3 crepes.

Here's how they look as noodles:

genaw.com/lowcarb/egg_crepes_or_noodles.html