Metabolic Typing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Metabolic Typing

Hey heres a post by Rossana from the sizematters forum she said I can share.
      I knew she was doing the course and wanted me to look into it but didn't know she was going to sell the book that her lecturer wrote untill I logged in and saw it today (Chapter 1 ). So I've been on her case since :)

I won't stick it in quote brackets as it is a bit big. This is the first post which she only posted a few days ago and will be some more soon...

Metabolic Typing

I have alluded to Metabolic Typing (MT) in some threads and would like to introduce you to the concept if you are not already familiar. You'll pardon me if I do a bit of cutting and pasting from other sites... just easier getting the info from the horses mouth. This text was largely taken from an article written by By William Wolcott, Founder, The Healthexcel System of Metabolic Typing and author of The Metabolic Typing Diet (Doubleday). It is a good book but I have purchased another which helps put the MT principle in context of lifestyle. It is written by Paul Chek and I will be shortly uploading it to our cart.

As a member of this community, it is likely that you've understood that nutrition is important if you ever want to get well and stay well. But you may also have come to feel that the field of nutrition is quite baffling and at times contradictory. And that even though there is more information available today than ever before, that it's also become harder to find what's really right for you or to decide just what you should do.

The the information explosion over the last 10 years has quite possibly brought more confusion than clarity to your quest for health. As a result, you may have found yourself asking questions like:

* Why is it that my best friend's nutritional supplements work absolute miracles, but make me feel lousy?
      * How can one best selling book say one thing about nutrition, and the other bestseller say just the opposite?
      * Why will a certain diet give my friend energy and help to lose weight but make me tired and gain weight?
      * How can someone eat the best organic foods, take the finest nutritional supplements that money can buy, get plenty of rest, exercise regularly... and still not feel well?
      * Why do vegetarians often look and feel crappy?

Everywhere you look, there are contradictions.

So, what is the answer? The answer is to find out what is right for you!

Not what some book says. Not what a friend says. Not what the latest fad says is right. You need to find out exactly what is right for YOU. A nutritional program that is tailored specifically for your kind of metabolism and that will meet the special and unique nutritional needs of the one and only you.

Until I started bodybuilding, I never really followed a diet. I used to think, but how can a magazine KNOW who I am?? It turns out that a depletion diet works wonders for me because I am a Protein Type... but more about that later.

The problem is that the quest for the "holy grail" in nutrition has been to find that "right diet," that "healthy diet" that is right for all people. And the quest has been to find the one right nutritional protocol for each condition.

But what has been missed is the undeniable fact that on a biochemical level each of us is as unique as we are in our fingerprints. Actually our uniqueness extends far beyond just our fingerprints -- simply put, our DNA is unique.

Standardized nutritional approaches fail to recognize that, for genetic reasons, people are all very different from one another on a biochemical or metabolic level. Due to widely varying hereditary influences, we all process or utilize foods and nutrients very differently. Thus, the very same nutritional protocol that enables one person to lead a long healthy life full of robust health can cause serious illness in someone else. As the ancient Roman philosopher Lucretius once said, "One man’s food is another’s poison." It turns out, his statement is quite literally true.

At any given point in time, there are a number of factors that determine peoples’ unique nutritional requirements, but none is more significant than a person’s ancestral heritage. It’s a matter of classic Darwinian principles of evolution and adaptation, natural selection, genetic mutation and survival of the fittest. Over thousands of years of evolutionary history, people in different parts of the world developed very specific dietary needs as an adaptation mechanism, in response to many unique aspects of their habitats and lifestyles -- including climate, geography, vegetation, and naturally occurring food supplies.

As an example, people from cold northern regions of the world have historically relied very heavily on animal protein, simply because that’s the primary food source available in wintry climates. Thus they have radically different nutritional needs than people from tropical regions, where the environment is rich in vegetative diversity year round.

In the early part of the 20th century, a brilliant scientist by the name of Weston Price, DDS, demonstrated this in no uncertain terms. He traveled all over the world and sought out all the indigenous populations to study their diet and their health. His discoveries were remarkable and extremely important. What he discovered was that:

* The diets of all the indigenous peoples were tremendously varied (being dependent on geography, climate and the food stuffs naturally available)
      * Yet those indigenous people who followed their ancestral diets were robustly healthy.
      * But those who moved away or for other reasons strayed from their ancestral diet developed degenerative processes.

What can we learn from this?

* First and foremost, there is no one diet that is right for everyone, i.e., there never has been and there never will be a universally healthy diet.
      * Second, the only healthy diet is the one that meets one’s genetically-based requirements -- not what some book or diet expert says is right. Eat a diet that is right for your metabolic type and not only can you stay healthy but you can reverse degenerative conditions as well.
      * Third, there are no good foods and there are no bad foods, except in terms of foods that are right or wrong for your genetic makeup (at this stage we won't consider GMO or organic, and notice we say foods - not packaged foods - we are generally talking about the base ingredients ie a homemade tomato sauce over one from a jar, even if the tomatoes were from a tin. Sort of make sense?):
      - Think meat is bad for you? Then how do you explain the Inuit (Eskimo) who eats up to 10 pounds of meat a day, yet there isn’t even a word in their language for cancer or heart disease.
      - Think a high carb diet is bad for you? Then how do you explain the Quetchus of South America or the East Indians who have lived for countless generations on a near vegetarian diet?
      - Think dairy is bad for you? Then how do you explain the Swiss whose ancestral diet was largely based on dairy and rye?

Your body is designed to be healthy. Good health is your birthright.

It is important to realize that the idea of metabolic typing is not new. The roots of the concept of metabolic individuality can be traced to antiquity. The 5,000 year old East Indian system of medicine known as Ayurveda was based on the interaction of the 5 elements and the 7 energy centers in the individual and primary treatment addressed one’s dosha (one's metabolic type) before it addressed the symptom or disease.

Similarly, the ancient system of Chinese medicine recognized 5 elemental, constitutional types. Diagnosis and treatment in ancient Egyptian medicine was based on the 7 organ systems in the body. Greek physicians were concerned, as Hippocrates stated, with the patient who has the disease instead of the disease that has the patient, and evaluated the 4 humors (liver-bile metabolic types).

In modern times, there have been some well-known and many not so well-known medical researchers who recognized the value of addressing biochemical individuality which we won't go into here.

What exactly is metabolic typing and why is it important?

Metabolic typing is a systematic, testable, repeatable, and verifiable methodology based on research and extensive clinical experience over the last 25 years that combines the wisdom of the ancient systems of medicine with our modern scientific understanding of physiology and biochemistry.

Metabolic typing analyzes, evaluates, and interprets objective physiological and biochemical indicators along with symptomatology in order to define one’s metabolic type -- the specific, individualized, genetically-based patterns of biochemical metabolic individuality that dictate one’s physiological and neurological "design limits" and requirements for nutritional substances.

The food that we eat is intended as the "fuel" for our body’s cells, our engines of metabolism. Our cells in turn convert the fuel to energy to be used in all the life-supporting processes of metabolism that keep us alive and healthy. But like any engine, our body needs a certain kind of fuel to function optimally. A petrol engine requires petrol for fuel. A diesel engine is designed to run on diesel for fuel. But try to run a petrol engine on diesel or a diesel engine on petrol and not only will the energy output be deficient, but using the wrong fuel for the engine will cause real problems for the engine itself.

Similarly, our bodies have genetically-based requirements for specific kinds of foods and balances of nutrients in order to produce optimal energy and function in a state of optimal health. If we meet these "design requirements," we can expect to be healthy, energetic, fit and trim.

Failure to obtain on a regular basis the kinds of foods our body’s are designed to utilize will initially produce sub-clinical health complaints such as fatigue, aches and pains, headaches, indigestion, weight gain, constipation, rashes, dry skin, low blood sugar, etc. I can vouch first hand for this.

But long-term deficiency of the right foods for the metabolic type will lead to degenerative conditions like asthma, cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, etc. In other words, it’s not just that the Eskimos can eat up to 10 pounds of meat and huge amounts of fat and almost no carbohydrate, they need to eat that way in order to be healthy because that’s what their metabolisms are genetically programmed to utilize as fuel. Similarly, each of us has very specific requirements for nutrients that must be met in order to obtain and maintain good health, energy and well-being for a lifetime.

Without metabolic typing:
      * there is no way to discern one’s "medicine" from one’s "poison."
      * there is no way to know how nutrients behave in one person as opposed to another.
      * there is no rational basis exists from which to select proper diet and nutritional supplementation because one’s metabolic type dictates individual responses to nutrients.

This gets to the heart of some core premises of metabolic typing that have not only great significance for each individual in identification of a proper diet, but also have profound implications for scientific research. Let’s look at two of these core premises of our system of metabolic typing. Here’s the first one:

ANY NUTRIENT AND ANY FOOD CAN HAVE VIRTUALLY OPPOSITE BIOCHEMICAL INFLUENCES IN DIFFERENT METABOLIC TYPES.

The metabolic type defines the way in which the body reacts to nutrients. Different metabolic types react differently to the same nutrient. For example, in one metabolic type 100 milligrams of potassium or eating, say, an orange (also high in potassium), will cause the body’s pH to shift alkaline and produce a sedating effect. But in a different metabolic type, the same amount of potassium or an orange will produce an acid shift and a stimulating response. This has been observed tens of thousands of times through both objective metabolic type testing as well as through changes in symptomatology.

Now the second core premise:

ANY ADVERSE SYMPTOM OR DEGENERATIVE CONDITION CAN ARISE DUE TO VIRTUALLY OPPOSITE BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCES.
      This same principle applies to any adverse health complaint, from simple to complex, from cramps to cardiovascular disease (CVD), from rashes to rheumatoid arthritis. For example, we have seen just as many cases of high cholesterol and CVD resolve through a high carbohydrate, low fat, low protein diet as we have seen resolve through the opposite low carb, high protein, high fat diet. Match the diet to the metabolic type and any degenerative condition has a chance to reverse. But eat the wrong foods for the metabolic type, even high quality, organic foods, and degenerative processes will only worsen.

The implications of these premises are staggering.

If they are true, then allopathic nutrition (traditional medicine) has no rational basis. Seeking a common therapy for all people for every condition is a wild goose chase and is doomed to failure. Any success with that approach has been and will continue to be by chance -- not systematic, reliable predictability.

If any nutrient or food can have totally opposite influences, biochemically speaking, in different people, how can there be a treatment, for any condition, that can work for all people?

The answer is that there can’t be only one treatment. This is precisely why what works for one person can worsen the same condition in another person. This is why what makes your friend thin can make you fat. This is why what improves energy and performance for one person can worsen it in another.

And, if it is true that two people with the same degenerative disease can have virtually opposite biochemical imbalances, and that when two opposite biochemical protocols are administered the problem resolves, then this clearly means that it’s not the diseases that should be treated but the underlying metabolic type imbalances that have caused the diseases that need be addressed.

From this viewpoint, the diseases are not the problems; they are the symptoms, the manifestations, the expressions of the underlying, foundational imbalances. The reality of metabolic individuality demands that the person who has the disease -- not the disease that has the person -- be treated!

These premises of metabolic typing also explain why scientific research on nutrition is usually so inconclusive and produces such inconsistent results. For example, researchers have been confounded why calcium can lower blood pressure in some but raise it in others. Similar findings occurred with the effect of potassium. Until research on the effect of a given nutrient on a given condition is performed on a like metabolic type subject population, you will always see variable results.

Shall I continue?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • The first thing after one reads all this information is to contemplate how it might apply to them and the people you know, and not try to jump right into finding out what type you are (even though you get the urge).

I have always felt that the info above, was true on many levels. I just didn't have the tools or the knowledge. While one part of knowledge is assimilating info from external sources, one of the greatest pieces of knowledge is knowing yourself.

The course I did was called Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach. I thought it was just going to be about food and nutrition. But the course opened with a discussion on the 6 Modifiable Foundation Factors that lead to Health and Vitality and nutrition was fourth on the list.

Just think about health and vitality for a second... what does it mean to you?
      Back in a tick.... :)
      and I welcome guesses on what these foundation factors might be...
      BTW Sherrie you can't answer this one! :D
    • JoJo just for my clarification, are you stating that health and vitality means blood tests or that the foundation factors means blood tests?

In any case, I asked about blood tests and their usefulness. My lecturer used to use them extensively in the first part of his career but stopped because he has found that just focussing on modifying the foundation factors was enough.

He also used them as a scare tactic to gain compliance :eek:
    • LOL - Rossana - I meant blood tests to work out your metabolic typing.
      I dont object to blood tests as such but not all of us have heaps of spare cash (not any of us probably). I beleive my health is important but if it means not paying the mortgage that week....

Health and Vitality on the other hand I can comment on - OK it may mean different things to different people - depends on the individual value system - to me personally it means being fit - having the energy and frame of mind to tackle and complete tasks, whether physical or mental, means being free of annoying, useless pain - headaches etc (the only pain I like is DOMS), it also means looking good - bright eyed, clear skin, minimal body fat. It also means being happy in your own skin. Acceptance of who you are but still striving to improve yourself.

This is just me thinking on my feet, may mean more to me after a little contemplation.
    • really fascinating Rossana, and certainly something that i am interested in, i've been reading a lot in relation to the 'paleo diets' and some of them actually say this in different words, that what your ancestors ate has been genetically passed down to you as part of your inheritance so to speak. also having lived in japan and overseas and seen the way people eat differently with no ill effects will i ate the same and got sick all the time or stacked on the weight made me understand it is all about each person and their ancestry. so for me, my health and vitality is about finding what i can eat that suits me and not what simply works for everyone.

looking forward to reading more!

can i post the link to this thread to another forum? if not, i'll just let others know where to look for this thread.
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Originally posted by jojoamethyst
      Health and Vitality .... may mean different things to different people - depends on the individual value system - to me personally it means being fit - having the energy and frame of mind to tackle and complete tasks, whether physical or mental, means being free of annoying, useless pain - headaches etc (the only pain I like is DOMS), it also means looking good - bright eyed, clear skin, minimal body fat. It also means being happy in your own skin. Acceptance of who you are but still striving to improve yourself.

This is a beautiful definition, which essentially boils down to feeling and looking good. But since I did the course I have been casually asking people who they know that they think "looks" good. One lady in particular comes to mind... my friend thinks she looks really good (and she does) and seems to have the food/diet thing in order because she can maintain a great shape with little exercise.

After I asked my friend what she ate I thought I would play devils advocate and I asked the following:
      What are her energy levels like?
      Is she stressed?
      Does she have frequent headaches?
      Are her emotions stable?
      What are her periods like?

Well to cut a long story short, this lady in question has just come back from an MRI where they discovered cysts on ovaries, endomitriosis (?sp) and a couple of other things. This lady is also very stressed.

My point is even when someone looks good, are they really healthy? Which brings me to the 6 Modifiable Foundation Factors..

1. Thoughts and Attitudes: have you ever given much thought to how much negative energy you send through you body every day just having negative thoughts about your body shape? Or what happens on a celluar level when we get stressed. My course instructors maintain that this is the most important factor to a person's health and well being.

2. Breathing: breathing is often used as a technique for meditation but it should be used in everyday life. It is essential for cellular health.

3. Hydration: how much water do you drink? Not diet cordial, not diet fizzy drinks, not juices but just plain spring water (not tap water)? I will dig out the formula and edit this post later but it really astounds me how humans have learnt not to like the taste of plain water!

4. Nutrition: eating according to your MT - notice this is the FOURTH thing that affects your health and vitality???

5. Exercise: Not all MTs should do the same type of exercise. Some MT's need pacifying exercises rather than stimulating ones.

6. Circadian Rhythms: Your sleep patterns. Essentially you should be in bed within 3 hours of sunset or by 10.30pm. Shift workers are almost asking to become unhealthy (and I know that circumstances may force people to do this) but they often also burn the candle at both ends.

So how much attention have you paid to these 6 factors? Until recently the order in which I paid attention to (or ignored) was as follows: Nutrition, Hydration, Exercise and Circadian Rhythms.

I sort of thought about Thoughts and Attitudes but not as they directly pertained to my health; and breathing well as long as I was alive, that sort of didn't enter into my mind!

I will post again soon...
    • this is reminding me of a few years ago, i was being a hippy living in the otway ranges down off the great ocean road in a little shack with no water or electricity that i had for 6 months rent free. every single day was a day of self sufficiency, i grew my own vegies, i spent each moment in looking after my well being, making sure there was time for leisure as well as survival. i didn't 'exercise' except for all the daily tasks i did plus walking up a steep hill every time i wanted to leave my cabin. i went to bed when it was dark and woke up when it got light. it is the healthiest mind and body i've ever been and to be honest, the happiest i've ever been, the most centred and balanced. i remember coming up to melbourne every month or so and sensing so much stress and anger and angst in my so called happy friends. if i burned myself on the stove, it healed the next day. i was could stand in a freezing cold room and not be cold. my body was fit and healthy in every way and so was my mind. the food i ate was home grown or organic. water was from the stream near the cabin, fresh from the ranges.
      it's something that i've always remembered feeling and strive to get back to, although living in a cabin is not an option right now (i can't find one for free!!), i've started to try and incorporate this into my daily life because i know instinctively that it is the way i want to live and i was living proof of how getting back to basics and recognising the balance between mind and body is utternly important to your health.
      sorry for rambling but this sort of discussion really gets me going!
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • I am looking forward to checking out the book, sounds very interesting and I would prefer something that looks into the broader picture of things.
      There are so many things in our bodies that are affected when we do things like calorie restriction, exercise etc... it's not all black and white.

I bought a book on hormones the other week, I havn't finished reading yet, and have mixed feelings on it so far, theres good bits and bad (like reccomending soy :rolleyes: ).

Anyway I like learning new things so can't wait :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Just my two cents worth::D

Sounds very much like food allergies and sensitivities to me. I’m not convinced of the idea of the body changing from acidic to alkaline.:rolleyes:

Re: Quetchas from here shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/clay.htm (yummy about eating clay!)
      In South America he found that the Quetchus Indians, believed to be descendants of the once powerful Incas, were largely vegetarians and he stated, "Immediately before eating, their potatoes are dipped into an aqueous suspension of clay, a procedure which is said to prevent 'souring in the stomach'." Yet, only comparatively recently has the white man apparently begun to use kaolin, one of the clays.

I remember posting this:
      Watched an interesting dvd about South America in which animals in the amazon rainforest were eating clay. Apparently it neutralizes the toxins in the leaves and seeds they eat. They were all doing it - monkeys, birds, deers, tapirs, etc.
      And the native people were hunting the animals. I wonder if it's another reason people should be only eating proteins because the animals have already taken care of the toxins?
      Is it bad form to quote yourself?

Re: Ayurveda: I remember cerridwyn saying this
      they use goats urine in an auyervedic cure for hay fever ...really burns your nose tho (its in drops) and no i dint know it was in there until afterwards

If the Swiss have it so good, what about this?swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=105&sid=4731805

I do agree, though, that high carb obviously works for people who don't have a problem with their insulin, and low carb for the rest of us. :)
      Whoever said 'people get fat because they're going to get diabetes' has my respect.
    • I have the same problem, maybe a browser thing, I am using firefox.

I actually have 2 books on it at home, one Rossana sent me which I was reading when I was pregnant (can't remember much now) I tried to do the questionaires in the book but I found it too hard to answer alot of them due to my circumstances at the time (being pregnant). Once Maya is sleeping through the night and I have finsihed feeding and hormones settle from that I will try again. But I have a hunch I am a mixed type. I handle moderate/moderately low carbs pretty well if I have them with fat.