Coconut Oil

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Okay I'll be your guinea piggie :D Actually have already begun the experiment:

I had some on Monday, a little on a spoon and cooked in a little.
      I had some on Tuesday, just a little on a spoon.
      (haven't have any psyhillium husks in water all week either) and all is good downstairs ;)

Must comment have felt like I have a bit more energy yesterday and today.

Just had a little more for Wednesday :D
    • Moonie theres other ways, do you still bake things like muffins or cheesecakes etc.... ?

I used to make my muffins with coconut cream all the time when I used the POH mix, but seeing they don't make it any more I only use the pre mixes like empower of atkins..That's when I get round to making them..I haven't made a cheesecake in ages..might make one this weekend..;)
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.
    • Coconut Oil and Weight Loss

nourishingplanet.com/html/coconut_oil_benefits
      Many people have reported that consuming Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) helps them to lose weight. They often see increased energy levels and fewer cravings for carbohydrates and sweets. It’s easier for many people to eat less when consuming 2 - 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil per day, because the fats provide a feeling of satiety or fullness after eating that is not generally experienced when eating a low-fat meal.

Virgin coconut oil is rich in the medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), like lauric acid, that have been shown to boost the metabolism. In fact, around 50% of the fatty acids in this coconut oil are lauric acid. It turns out that the amount of energy used to metabolize these MCFAs is greater than the energy they provide, and lauric acid is the most rapidly metabolized fatty acid, scientist have found. Coconut oil has a “thermogenic” effect, meaning it raises your body temperature. This in turn boosts energy levels and metabolism.

Another good thing about coconut oil, especially for the many of us who have spent years consuming harmful fats like the trans-fats in vegetable oils, is that coconut oil is easier to digest than other fats. It doesn’t need bile in order to be broken down and used by the body. This can be useful since many of us now have a hard time digesting fats because we produce less bile. Even if you don’t have a problem with fat digestion, coconut oil is still great for losing weight because of the way the body is able to turn it directly into energy.

According to a 2000 report published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, you burn off coconut oil three times faster than many other common fats. In a 1986 study by T.B. Seaton et al in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people who ate meals containing MCFAs increased their metabolic rate an average of 12%, compared to a 4% increase for those eating meals with long-chain fatty acids (LCTs). The authors concluded that eating MCFAs could “over long periods of time produce weight loss even in the absence of reduced (caloric) intake”.

Once again, coconut oil is nature’s richest source of these medium-chain fatty acids, which in addition to increasing metabolism have many other health-enhancing properties.

For more information about coconut oil and a healthy, weight-loss promoting diet, we encourage you to go to the website, healthycoconutdiet.com.

Coconut Oil and Your Thyroid

Coconut oil, because of its metabolism-stimulating properties, seems to be an excellent thyroid system builder. If you have problems with your thyroid, you want to be sure to include coconut oil and coconut products like coconut cream, milk or flakes in your diet.

Anti-Microbial Properties of Coconut Oil

Besides boosting your metabolism, the lauric acid in coconut oil is proven to be anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal, so it helps to boost your immune system and to keep you from getting sick. Some studies have shown that the lauric acid can help your body to fight bacterial infections, including strep, viral infections, including HIV and herpes, parasites like giardia and candida fungal infections.

Dr. Conrado S. Dayrit, M.D., after a 1999-2000 study of HIV patients, concluded that coconut oil does have an anti-viral effect and that it “can beneficially reduce the viral load of HIV patients.”
    • I opened up a new brand today, I think it was called spiral or something. Anyway I tried a bit of it and I reckon I could eat that off the spoon but do I dare!

I'm humming and harring about buying 5 litres of coconut oil LOL
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Well after reading the above posts when I took some coconut oil a few mins ago I took a little more :D

Yesterday I felt like my body temperature was really high, I even got out the thermal ear thermometer and took my temp and it was 37.7 (not sick) so I think it does increase body temp in my opinion.

Also yesterday I used a few Ketosticks over the course of the day and pretty much all 4 of them were up in the last two colours of the purple range (not the most purple, the two before that), which is the best results I've had using the sticks to date :D Before I was lucky if I got to the second colour the skin toned pink :(

So I am a believer. The brand I bought is Aclara, was about $6.00 for the container, but think I might look at getting a bigger one next time :D
    • Good stuff Miestar.

I tried one of my coconut oil chocolates this morning and lets just say they need more work!

Will have to eat them though cause I used almost half a jar, can't waste that!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Now I know why....

Hi all

Now I know why you all went ewwww when I told you I could eat coconut oil off the spoon.

I bought a new brand the other day, a Melrose one, and it is definately not as nice as the Aclara one I had before.

Im now disguising it in my cooking as I can even taste it in my protein shakes. Wonder why they are so different???

Just thought I would let you know....

H
    • I am using "Ester Maria" 100% certified organic virgin coconut oil..
      estermaria.com/products.htm thexton.com.au/brand/Ester__Maria
      It tastes rather nice..I can just scoop it with a spoon and eat it solid..Not a lot in one go though..
      I have also found if I have some boiling water and dip the spoon in to get hot, then scoop some coconut oil out, it melts on the spoon and I can see exactly how much I am taking..

shame about the different brands tasting so different..Is the Melrose one organic??

this is an exerpt from the free online coconut oil book chapter 7..
      Experts say the best coconut oil you can buy is organic virgin coconut oil (VCO). This is coconut oil that has been squeezed out of the best coconut meat without high heat treatments. There are coconut oils that have been taken from copra (older lower quality dried coconut meat). This is then cooked, refined and bleached. These commercial coconut oils have little or no coconut taste, and have lost some of the health benefits. Good virgin coconut oil will have a smooth mild coconut flavor. Definitely avoid any coconut oil that has been hydrogenated so it will be solid at room temperature. Hydrogenated oil is always very bad for you, even if it was coconut oil to start with. VCO will be solid at a temperature of about 76 degrees F (30 degrees C) and becomes a liquid at about 77 degrees F (31 degrees C)

coconut-oil-diet.com/coconut_oil_book.html
    • Hi Moonie

Yes, it is organic. The blurb on the side of the jar says

"Melrose Organic Coconut Oil (butter) is a pure, natural, virgin cold pressed Coconut Oil.

It is produced within 1 hour of opening a coconut by villagers using the Direct Micro Expelling (DME) process developed by Kokonut Pacific Pty Ltd. This oil retains the natural aroma and flavour of coconut. Coconut oil does not raise cholesterol levels but is quickly metabolised into energy. It is high in lauric acid. "

Hmmm, it all sounds very impressive, hence why I bought it, I guess!

I just checked the Aclara site and it is organic also, and virgin cold pressed. I think I will buying that one from now on.

Beautiful day here in Perth, isnt it? Great day to be stuck inside doing an assignment on the computer....:rolleyes:
    • Beautiful day here in Perth, isnt it? Great day to be stuck inside doing an assignment on the computer....

Yep sure is a lovely day:) Hope your assignment is going well..I am supposed to be ironing:(

p.s I can remember trying the Melrose Flaxseed oil, and that was gross,much worse than the Stoney Creek one..
    • I've been meaning to get some cod liver oil!!

The coconut oil I have is niulife extra virgin coconut oil, 100% organic. It cost $16.15 for 400mL. Its pricey, need to get a different brand and just virgin coconut oil and not extra virgin coconut oil.

I'm going to start using it daily - about 3 tbsps per day. That's U.S. tbs which is 15mL x 3. I've eaten it off a spoon and it tastes okay.
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)
    • Oi stop your whining or you can have some of my Melrose Cod Liver Oil!!!
      Nope I'm having none of that!!I have enough trouble with the fish burps when I am taking the fish oil capsules...I'll just stick to the coconut oil thanks...