Soups

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Curried broccoli soup

This recipe belongs to Sanuk: apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1283

Curried broccoli soup

1/2 tbsp olive oil
      80 - 100g sliced leek
      1 tsp of curry powder or some dried curry leaves (don't forget to remove them before the vitamising bit)
      5 cups chicken and/or vegetable stock
      120g sweet potato
      1kg broccoli chopped coarsely
      salt / pepper to taste (don't add salt if using commercial stock!)
      chopped parsely to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the leek and curry powder until the leek has softened and the mix is aromatic (about 3 minutes)

Add the stock and sweet potato and simmer until potato is soft.
      Add the broccoli, return to simmer and season with salt and pepper.

When broccoli is soft (but still lovely and bright green), put into a blender and puree. Reheat without boiling. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Add a dollop of cream fraiche to make it really special!

Makes 5 big serves with PCF of 7/ 6/ 3 and under 100 calories (without the sour cream!)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Cauli and bacon soup

This is a good substitute for potato and bacon soup.

2 cups cauliflower
      1/2 small onion
      1 chicken & 1 bacon stockcube added to 3 cups water
      2 slices thick bacon diced
      2 tbsp butter
      1/2 c heavy cream
      salt & pepper to taste
      shredded cheddar cheese

Separate cauliflower and cut into small pieces. Boil with chopped onion in chicken & bacon stock until tender. Fry bacon. Place cooked cauliflower in food processor with broth (how much broth depends on how thick you want it). Add butter, cream and cheese and pulse until creamy. Combine with cooked bacon and pepper.

Total carbs 7g
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Calui & Broccoli soup (with extras)

this is really filling and good to freeze.

1 head cauli (break into florets)
      1 head broccoli (as with cauli)
      1-2 chicken breast (i used 1 but it was on steroids and rather large!) diced
      1 onion chopped finely
      1 clove garlic chopped finely
      100-150g grated cheese of your choice (i used tasty)
      1/2 cup cream
      4 cups chicken stock

a little oil in a large saucepana and quickly stir in onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft. add stock, cauli, broccoli and chicken. cook away until vegies soft. pop into blender and pulse until smooth. put back into saucepan, add cream and cheese, heat gently until cheese melted. season to your taste (i added lots of cracked pepper and salt).
      4 large serves!
      cheers, sam

go hard...or go home
    • Lamb Scotch Broth with Vegies

Originally posted by sambalam
      Lamb Scotch Broth with Vegies

2 - 4 lamb shanks (depending on the size, i use about 2 large ones or 4 small ones)
      whole black peppercorns
      1 cauliflower
      4 carrots
      1-2 onions.
      whole celery

in a large stock pot put the lamb shanks in with enough water to cover and the peppercorns. bring to boil then simmer for at least 2 hours. using a slotted spoon, scoop out the shanks and leave to cool. chop all vegies (i just use my food processor and make everthing small or thinly sliced) and put into stock. add 1-2 tablespoons sea salt (this is NOT the table variety so you might have to experiment with taste there!)
      when shaks have cooled, pull meat off bones, chop up and put back in pot. heat gently for 1/2 hour.
      i add in coconut oil sometimes. i like my soup to be fatty to keep me full.
      it freezes really well.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=2165
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Bacon Soup meal in a bowl

Originally posted by Delia

Bacon Soup meal in a bowl

This soup is to die for and a meal in a bowl. Can use on induction.

1 bacon Hock (0)
      1 carrot med (6)
      1 turnip large (11)
      4 sticks of celery (2)
      1 onion (9)
      ! Tomato large (7)
      1 large tin of chopped tomato with garlic basil or oregano (38.9)
      1 cup Chinese cabbage or cabbage (5)
      1-tablespoon vegetable stock powder (2)
      Put all in slow cooker and cook all day.
      Take bone out and mix the meat through the soup. I usually don't blend this one but you could if you liked.

Serves 10
      Carbs 7.9 Cal 56 Fat 17 and Protein 30

If you want to reduce the carbs you could use a small can of tomatoes and it would be Carbs 6.1

If you water it down you could make it go a lot further lost flavour so it could be done.
      I also sometime put in a beef neck and do the same the carb count would be the same but the calories a little less.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=1543

• Cream of Leek Soup

Originally posted by sambalam

Cream of Leek Soup

2 cup chicken stock
      1 cup finely cut leeks
      ½ medium sized onion, minced or grated
      1/4 cup chopped parsley
      salt and pepper
      1 cup cream
      2 egg yolks

Simmer leeks in the stock. While it is cooking add onion, and chopped parsley. (You may saute the onion gently in butter and then add it to the stock if you like). When the leek is tender, pour mixture into a blender or food processor and puree. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.

Put the mixture in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling water. Beat 2 egg yolks until light and then beat the cream into the yolks. Slowly add the cream to the soup in the top of the double boiler and stir it with a wooden spoon until thick. It is done when the mixture coats the spoon with a slight film. DO NOT let the mixture boil and do not over cook.

I don't use a double boiler, I just whack it over a low heat.

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1439

• Bacon, Cauliflower and Cumin Soup

Originally posted by Sherrie

Bacon, Cauliflower and Cumin Soup

abc.net.au/gippsland/stories/s368508.htm

Degree of difficulty: Medium

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 1 hour

You need:

2 cauliflowers (roughly diced)
      1 leek, white part only (roughly diced)
      5 bacon rashers (roughly diced)
      1 litre chicken stock
      1/2 tbsp cumin
      1/2 tbsp curry powder
      30ml extra-virgin olive oil
      salt & pepper

Method:

Sweat leek, bacon and cauliflower with cumin and curry powder in oil for 5-10 mins. Add chicken stock and simmer until cauliflower is soft. Puree and adjust seasoning to taste.

Serving Suggestion: Finish serving soup with a sprinkling of finely chopped parsley. As an option, you can add a dollop of creme fraiche.

• Cauliflower, Leek and Bacon Soup

Originally posted by Rebecca

Cauliflower, Leek and Bacon Soup

Another work recipe! hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 tbs olive oil
      250g bacon rashers, finely chopped.
      2 large leeks, trimmed and sliced
      600g of cauliflower florets-small
      OPTIONAL: 2 medium potatoes- peeled and chopped- would be okay without it-maybe add some more cauli?
      6 cups of chicken stock
      salt and ground peppers
      1/3 cup of creams
      grated cheese

Method:

1. Heat oil in saucepan. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Remove 2 tbs of bacon toa plate and set aside. Add leeks to pan and cook, stirring often, for 3minutes until soft.

2. Add cauliflower, potatoes and stock to pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to boil, stirring occassionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 30-35minutes or until veggies are tender.

3. Using blender or food processor, puree soup until smooth and return soup to pan. Warm soup over low heat. Stir in cream (don't boil!). Serve soup topped with reserved bacon and grated cheese.

YUMMO!
      enjoy!

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1204

• Creamy Curry Pumpkin Soup

Originally posted by Elizabeth

Creamy Curry Pumpkin Soup

This is an easy soup to make and tastes great, especially for winter.

2 tblspns butter
      1 small onion, chopped
      1 clove garlic. crushed
      2 tspns curry powder
      Salt & Pepper
      1 can chicken consomme, plus 1 can of water
      500g cooked pumpkin, mashed
      3/4 cup coconut milk

1. Melt butter and cook onion over meduim heat until softened. Add garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.

2. Add consomme, water and mashed pumpkin. Reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk.

3. Puree in blender or use Bamix type blender.
      Serves 6

P1.5/F12/C4

apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1134

• BASIC CHILI

BASIC CHILI

2 pounds ground beef
      1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
      1 green pepper, chopped
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1 teaspoon cumin
      1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
      2 tablespoons chili powder
      3 cups water
      8 ounce can tomato sauce
      14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
      2 teaspoon salt
      Xanthan gum, optional

Brown the meat, onion, green pepper and garlic in a large pot; drain fat. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 3 hours.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 Recipe: 449 Calories; 26g Fat; 39g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs
      Per 1/6 Recipe: 299 Calories; 17g Fat; 26g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

If you can't get chipotle chile powder, just use 1/2 teaspoon more regular chili powder. This makes 6 small bowls of chili or 4 large ones.

UPDATE: If you like thicker chili, add a little xanthan gum before simmering. I used about 1/2 teaspoon and it seemed about right. Lightly sprinkle a little at a time over the surface of the chili while quickly mixing it in. I also cooked mine for only about an hour this time and it was still good.

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/basic_chili.html

• NANCY'S EASY CHUNKY CHICKEN & VEGETABLE SOUP

NANCY'S EASY CHUNKY CHICKEN & VEGETABLE SOUP

1 tablespoon oil
      1 tablespoon butter
      2 boneless chicken breasts, diced, 10-12 ounces
      1/2 cup green pepper, chopped, 2 ounces
      1/2 cup celery, sliced thin, 2 small stalks
      1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced, 2 ounces or 4 medium
      1/4 cup onion, chopped, 1 1/4 ounces
      2 cans chicken broth or 4 cups homemade
      1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
      1/2 cup water
      1/2 cup carrots, sliced, 2 1/2 ounces or 1 medium carrot *
      1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      Salt, to taste
      Egg Noodles (see recipe below)

Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or just until no longer pink. Add green pepper, celery, mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp. Add broth, bouillon, water, carrots, parsley, pepper and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add Egg Noodles and simmer a few minutes until heated through.

Makes 6 servings

* Omit the carrots for induction

Per Serving: 193 Calories; 10g Fat; 20g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

I got this recipe from my friend, Nancy. This is one of her husband's favorite soups. My family liked it too and it's very simple to make. I wasn't sure if I'd like the green pepper in it, but you don't really taste it and it adds some good vitamins. It blends in with the rest of the flavors. I suggest slicing the "noodles" a little smaller and thinner than I did. They seemed a little too large to me. This soup would be fine for induction if you leave out the carrots.

VARIATION: Nancy said that this soup is really nice with a couple tablespoons of heavy cream added. She said it gives it a richer taste. Here are the counts for this variation:

Per Serving: 211 Calories; 12g Fat; 20g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

EGG NOODLES
      3 eggs
      2 tablespoons heavy cream
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      Pinch pepper

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour a 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into a hot buttered 7-8" skillet and swirl around until mixture coats the bottom of the pan. Cook until eggs are set but not browned. Flip and lightly cook other side. Repeat with remaining batter to make 4 crepes. Cut crepes into strips resembling flat noodles.

genaw.com/lowcarb/easy_chunky_chicken_veg_soup.html

• MOCK POTATO SOUP

MOCK POTATO SOUP

1 medium cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming
      1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
      3 cups chicken broth (homemade recommended)
      3 tablespoons butter
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (pre-shredded not recommended)
      3 pieces bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled, optional
      2 green onions, chopped, optional
      2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped

In a large dutch oven, bring cauliflower, onion and broth to a boil. Cover and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add butter and cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in cheese; heat very slowly until melted. Garnish with bacon, green onion and parsley.

Makes about 6 cups soup, or 6 big servings
      Can be frozen without toppings

Per Serving: 263 Calories; 22g Fat; 11g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This was very nice, but I think I liked it better before I added the cheese. I used the pre-shredded kind and it never really melts well due to the powdery coating on it. It tasted better without cheese anyway. I had some leeks in the freezer, so I substituted them for the onion, but I think it would taste just as nice either way. The soup looked a bit plain (sort of like Cream of Wheat), so I added the parsley to perk it up. This is definitely a winner and very easy to make.

genaw.com/lowcarb/mock_potato_soup.html

• MOM'S VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP

MOM'S VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP

3 pounds beef, cubed
      6 cups water (can use part beef broth)
      8 ounce can tomato sauce
      2 1/2 ounces onion
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1 tablespoon salt
      Dash pepper
      1/4 teaspoon chili powder
      1 bay leaf
      1 cup celery, coarsely chopped, about 4 ounces
      1 very small cabbage, about 13 ounces, coarsely chopped
      1 cup fresh or frozen green beans, about 2 1/2 ounces (if using fresh, cut in 1-inch lengths)

In a large kettle, heat some oil; brown the beef in the hot oil. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer on low for about 2 hours.

Makes 8-10 servings

Per 1/8 Batch: 455 Calories; 33g Fat; 32g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
      Per 1/10 Batch: 364 Calories; 26g Fat; 26g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is based on my mom's recipe, but I omitted the sugar, carrots, potatoes and much of the tomato to reduce the carbs. The result was pretty good, but not nearly as good as my mom's.

genaw.com/lowcarb/moms_veg_beef_soup.html

• DOTTIE'S CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP FOR RECIPES

DOTTIE'S CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP FOR RECIPES

8 small mushrooms, chopped, 3 ounces
      1 stalk celery, chopped
      2 tablespoons onion, chopped, about 1 ounce
      2 tablespoons butter
      1/2 cup chicken broth
      3/4 cup heavy cream
      Salt & pepper, to taste
      Xanthan gum, optional*

In a medium skillet, sauté the mushrooms, celery and onion in the butter until soft. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Let liquid reduce by half, then stir in the cream. Bring back to a boil. Turn down heat a bit and cook until reduced and thickened, stirring frequently and watching closely so it doesn't boil over. Season to taste.

Makes about 1 cup

Per batch: 873 Calories; 90g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs

This makes a very rich, tasty sauce that would be nice over all kinds of things, like chicken, meatballs, fish, vegetables etc. After adding the cream, make sure you simmer it long enough so that the cream is no longer white and takes on the light brownish color of the mushrooms. If you can afford the carbs, a few more mushrooms would be even better.

* If you have some xanthan gum on hand, you can very lightly sprinkle a little over the soup just as it starts to thicken and quickly stir it in, adding a little more if needed until the soup gets thick to your liking. You may need to let it stand a minute to let the xanthan gum start to work before adding more. I found that this addition helps to stabilize the soup. Another benefit of adding the thickener is that you won't have to reduce the broth and cream quite as much so you'll end up with more soup for no extra carbs.

genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_of_mushroom_soup.html

• EMERALD ISLE SOUP

EMERALD ISLE SOUP

1/4 cup leeks or onions, chopped, about 3/4 ounce
      1-2 tablespoons butter
      16 ounces frozen broccoli
      2 cups chicken broth (homemade preferred)
      1 cup heavy cream
      Pinch nutmeg, optional

Sauté the leek or onions in the butter in a medium saucepan until tender. Add the frozen broccoli, broth and a bit of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the broccoli is very tender, about 10 minutes. Puree in a blender or with a stick blender until smooth and thick. Stir in the cream and blend well. Adjust seasoning and add nutmeg, if desired. Reheat if necessary.

Makes about 6 servings

Per Serving: 204 Calories; 19g Fat; 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is very good!

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/emerald_isle_soup.html

• CAULIFLOWER BISQUE

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming
      1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
      2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
      2 tablespoons butter
      3 cups chicken broth (homemade recommended)
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (dried not recommended)

In a 3-quart saucepan, sauté onion or leek and celery in the butter until tender. Add chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and broth; bring to boil. Turn down heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Makes about 6 cups soup, or 6 big servings
      Can be frozen

Per Serving: 150 Calories; 12g Fat; 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This reminded me of the Leek and Potato Soup that I'd eaten several times while in England and is one of my favorite soups. You could also add some cooked shrimp or crab for a seafood bisque.

users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/cauliflower_bisque.html

• SOUPS YUMMMM

Made the best cauliflower and leek soup
      made real chicken stock from wings - then just sautéed sliced leeks & 3 cloves garlic in olive oil, lemon pepper sage and mixed spices. cooked 2 cauliflowers without the main stems in the stock added the leeks and added another litre of chicken stock. Let cool and blend the lot - Celtic sea salt to taste and mmmmm.....
      Great for a quick hot snack!!
      Bron Doingit
      :)
      Now to maintain.....hard work! :D
    • Broccoli/Cheese Soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup:D
      Serves-6 Net Carbs-5

Ingredients:
      1 small onion diced
      1 can (14 oz) chicken broth (or your own stock or use buillion cubes)
      2 c. broccoli flowerets
      1 c. shredded sharp cheddar (I prefer parmesan in this)

1 c. heavy cream
      1 tbsp thickener (optional)

dash garlic powder
      1/8 tsp pepper

How to Prepare:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine broccoli, broth, onion, herb, pepper, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
      2. Stir together the heavy cream and the thickener until smooth. Add to the mixture in the saucepan. Add cheese. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more
      Blend it if you like it blended as I do.
    • Cauliflower, Zucchini & Bacon Soup

Serves 6

1tbsp olive oil
      1 whole cauliflower (about 800g florettes)
      1 Zucchini (about 200g)
      6 spring onions diced or a handful of chopped leek
      6 short rashers of bacon trimmed and diced
      1 Massell Beef Stock cube
      1 tsp salt
      3/4 tsp white pepper
      100ml double cream

Put the zucchini, bacon and spring onion/leek in a soup pot with a tbsp oil, fry until they start to stick to the bottom of the pot stirring frequently. Crumble in the stock cube and add the salt and pepper, then place the cauliflower in the pot. Put in enough water to come 3/4 of the way up the ingredients in the pot then cover and let simmer until all the veggies are really well cooked. When cooked run the stick blender through it until it is pureed then add more water to reach the desired consistency (I dont add much because I like mine nice and thick) Stir through the double cream and serve!

Per Serve

206 Cals
      10g protein
      14.8g fat
      5.5 carbs
      4.8g Fibre