Soups

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• ok made 2 lots of soup today, as i got 600g of mushrooms for $3 and 1kg of broccolli for $1 what a bargin. it was reduced to clear at woollies dont know why as their was nothing wrong with it any way both soups ended up being 5.3g carbs per serve, i made a lot, so cut down were you need to

TIP - i buy large plactic cups, and freeze my soup in portions, easy to take out and defrost for lunch, and you dont even need anything else, you could add some cooked chicken, or left over bacon for add variety, personalie i just have made a few varieties and have a few selections in frezzer. great for those cold winter days, or nights. And a good way to get those vegies in your diet.

Broccolli and blue cheese soup (you could use normal but i like that little bit of bite)
      800g broccolli
      30g garlic (1large tablespoon)
      120g of shallots about 4 bits
      300 ml cream
      and a small amount of bluecheese
      s & p to taste
      1 and 1/2 litre of stock (i made my own with just bones so no carbs)
      i also added a little chilli 1/2 a small bird eye

chop and place everything except cheese and cream in a pan cook till broccollie is soft, wiz up place back on head add cream and cheesem wisk through s&p to taste/ simmer for 10 mins. yummo

The second one was mushroom soup
      600g mushrooms
      30g butter
      30g garlic
      60g shallots 4 each
      600 ml cream
      1 litre of stock
      also added 1/2 chilli birds eye

place butter and mushies in a pan saute till soft, add garlic, shallots and stock and cook for 20 mins, wiz in blender. place back on head add cream and s&p to taste. and simmer for 10 mins.

QUICK EASY AND TASTY AND LOW CARB
    • Asian style Seafood Soup

I am not good at following recipes and this is a soup that I have just thrown together from my love of Asian food. It is a Vietnamese/Thai style soup that you can add all sorts of lovely flavours to. This one suits my family who dont always share my taste for hot stuff.

Small packet prepared fish stock
      1 cup vegetable stock
      1 litre water (or whatever it takes to get the volume you want)
      1 tablespoon fish sauce
      squirt of sesame oil
      2-3 spring onions finely chopped
      1-2 carrots finely julienned
      small can whole champignons
      small amount of corriander
      salt and pepper

Throw all this into pot and bring to boil. Start tasting to adjust the seasonings.

add
      raw fish (basa is great - really cheap fish and is perfect for a soup as it holds together really well)
      raw calamari rings
      green prawns
      basically any seafood you want (when I really want a treat I put in lots of scallops).

then add lots of baby bok choy, and chinese cabbage.

But dont cook it for long, especially the calamari. When the prawns turn pink/orange it is basically ready - 2 mins or so.

Test that you have enough flavour and then serve. Has to be eaten immediately as it doesnt keep well.
    • Sweet Potato & Bacon Soup

1 cup/250mls = 8.5 serves

250gms Middle Bacon Rashes [INDENT][INDENT][INDENT](trim fat to keep calories down if you need to watch cals). In my calculations I didn't reduce the count for lean bacon, so the recipe should actually be a little less than what I've worked out.[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]1Lt Chicken Stock
      1kg Sweet Potato (orange ones)
      Mixed Herbs
      500 ml vitasoy milk (I know..! not good for thyroid but my Thyroid's Ok) could just try extra Chicken Stock or Water.
      300 ml cream

Dry roast sweet potatoes in oven until cooked but still firm. Makes it easy to peel the skin off, or just peel them raw.
      Chop Bacon into bits and fry in the bottom of your large saucepan.
      Add the Chicken Stock, Mixed Herbs and Sweet Potato and bring to the boil.
      Simmer for about 20 minutes.
      Add the Vitasoy and blend it all together with a stick wand if you have one.
      Finish by adding the cream, stir through and serve.

Cals ..Prot ..Carb
      345 ..10.4 ...3.2 per 250gms / 1 cup

Edit Note: I've had another idea about using a plain yoghurt instead of the soy milk and the taste of the yoghurt should compliment the soup, could even add some curry powder if you like - should work nicely.
      Next time I make it I will do a new count and see how the yoghurt works out.

Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.

The post was edited 3 times, last by janal: Updating idea for replacement of soy milk ().

• Soups are great for winter, so I'm bumping this thread up :D
      Besides that I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best yoghurt to use - looking for a nice balance between carbs & calories.

and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.
    • THE YUMMIEST TOMATO/LEEK SOUP EVER MADE

just made the BEST tomato and leek soup.

Toms on spec $1.99kg and Leek $4.99kg at IGA.
      SO
      1kg leek washed and left whole and poped on baking tray
      2 kg tomatoes sliced in half and put cut side up on baking trays
      1 head of garlic top cut but left whole othersie
      Drizzle over olive oil over everything sprinkle with Tuscan Herbs & cracked pepper/salt
      bake in oven till starting to slightly shrivel up,.
      4 ltrs chicken stock
      1/4 celery.
      While the oven things are doing their stuff dice the celery and cook in 1 ltr of stock.
      Wehn the oven things have done
      pop it all into stock pot
      Blend - adding stock till it gets to the right thickness you preferr.
      Serve with finely chopped chives/basil and grated parmesan
      Bron Doingit
      :)
      Now to maintain.....hard work! :D
    • Re: THE YUMMIEST TOMATO/LEEK SOUP EVER MADE

[EDIT DOINGIT;198695]
      just made the BEST tomato and leek soup.

Toms on spec $1.99kg and Leek $4.99kg at IGA.
      SO
      1kg leek washed and left whole and poped on baking tray
      2 kg tomatoes sliced in half and put cut side up on baking trays
      1 head of garlic top cut but left whole othersie & 5-6 RED chillis depending on strenght deseeded and popped between the tomatoes
      Drizzle over olive oil over everything sprinkle with Tuscan Herbs & cracked pepper/salt
      bake in oven till starting to slightly shrivel up,.
      4 ltrs chicken stock
      1/4 celery.
      While the oven things are doing their stuff dice the celery and cook in 1 ltr of stock.
      Wehn the oven things have done
      pop it all into stock pot take the garlic head and squeeze the soft yummy garlic into the pot discard the husk
      Blend - adding stock till it gets to the right thickness you preferr.
      Serve with finely chopped chives/basil and grated parmesan
      You may need to add a tsp of sugar as like with a lot of tomato thingys it takes the slight bitterness away.

****Roasting sweetens up all vegetables and a chef friend of mine said that was the only way to make 99% of all soups... pumpkin - carrot etc is to roast and i now have to agree!!
      Bron Doingit
      :)
      Now to maintain.....hard work! :D
    • Celery & Chicken Soup

......................................................Cals ...Fat .....Prot. ..Carb. ....Sugar
      1 L Chicken Stock .............................120 .....1 .......15 .....12 ........12
      2 Chicken stock cubes ........................17 ......1 .......0.4 ....1.8 .......0.1
      Good sprinkle of mixed herbs
      500 ml of Water
      1 kg of Celery, raw including leaves......140 .....1.7 ......6.9 ....15 ........15
      400 g of Chicken ..............................612 .....16 ......120 .....0 ...........0
      300 g of Sour Cream: .......................993 ....105 ......7.2 .....8.7 .......8.7

Meal Total .....................................1882 ...124.7g .149.5g ..37.5g ...35.8g
      Counts will be based on the amount of serves you get out of the total pot :D
      ie; 8 serves would be about 235 calories & 4.7 carbs per serve.

Method:
      Bring the Chicken Stock & water to boil, crumble the stock cubes into the liquid.
      Add herbs
      Chop up the celery including leaves and add to the pot, reduce heat and cook until the celery is tender & cooked through.
      Blend liquid & celery until reasonably smooth (my stick blender worked just fine) If you want it really smooth push it through a strainer.
      Add any left over chicken I'm just estimating that I used about 400 grams.
      Simmer for 20 minutes.
      Stir through sour cream (or Philly) and serve.